Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rockwood In Atlanta

Options
The Ace main warehouse has it and all of the local Ace stores can get it.  See Ralph or Richard at Johns Creek - The have a bunch and are nice folks! I am sold on this stuff.
Milton, GA.

Comments

• ehummelman
    ehummelman Posts: 27
    Options
    "Can get it" being the key. I thought that all Ace Hardwares had it and went to 2 local ones last weekend. Both guys actually said that they stopped carrying it because it wasn't selling well. They had Wicked Good and BGE in stock.
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    If it isn't selling good in my opinion it is only because a lot of people haven't tried it. I am convinced that if most people try it they will love it. 

For some reason almost all of the newbies use BGE lump. I know I did because that is all my local dealer carries and of course he pushed it. 

I am in a small community, but I am trying to get a group buy up. It is just sometimes a hard sell to someone that thinks they have to use BGE lump because it says Big Green Egg on the bag. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Tim (Watkinsville)
    Options
    The Ace hardware in Watkinsville Ga just got a pallet in so I got a bag. I'll try it out Sunday.
    This particular store used to be a True Value but was sold and is now an Ace. They are very responsive to requests so I asked them to consider stocking Dizzy Pig's line. They are looking into it. That would be great and would save me having to drive over to Winder to get that. Just an FYI for any northeast Georgia eggers.

Watkinsville, Ga   XL, Medium
  • sstripes96
    sstripes96 Posts: 152
    Options
    The Ace in Lawrenceville only carries Rockwood and BGE. Every time I'm in there the Rockwood is selling and the BGE doesnt seem to be.
    Bud
    Large BGE
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    Options
    The closest Ace hardware to me (Decatur, GA on Scott Blvd.) no longer carries Rockwood and does not seem interested in carrying it or ordering it if one pays in advance.  Consequently, I drove to McDonough, GA and bought three pallets from that Ace store.

"You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    "Can get it" being the key. I thought that all Ace Hardwares had it and went to 2 local ones last weekend. Both guys actually said that they stopped carrying it because it wasn't selling well. They had Wicked Good and BGE in stock.

Which stores were those?  That's an odd statement for them to make, because up until a month ago the ONLY stores that we sold to GA were direct orders--repeat customers that paid their invoices on time.  It was unlocked to everyone in mid-April when went live as a vendor in all the southeastern states.

There was a similar quote from one store outside ATL posted here, but then they ordered 118 bags per my list.  Seems like there was some stories being made up for a few months when our paperwork was stalled.

• ehummelman
    ehummelman Posts: 27
    Options
    I can't remember the 2nd store as I was running a lot of errands that day, but the one for sure that said it didn't sell was the one already mentioned on Scott Blvd in Decatur. Intown Hardware I think it's called, and I actually talked to an owner. I think his name was Tony if I remember correctly but I could be wrong. I only remember because I was otherwise impressed with their BGE selection of accessories, rubs, etc.
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Options
    The Ace in Crabapple had a pallet and it is almost sold out after 1.5 weeks.  John's Creek still has a half pallet left.  I guess that it is up to the franchise owner regarding the lump that they want to stock.  I have had my Egg a year, use it several times a week and think that Rockwood is the best lump that I have tried. Did 2 9 lb butts this week turbo at 350 and there was a bunch of lump left. Good stuff.
    Milton, GA.
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    flynnbob said:
     I guess that it is up to the franchise owner regarding the lump that they want to stock.

It is......they stock what they want.  Ace has a big catalog for them and they just order what they want/need every week.  If they get enough people asking for it, they may consider stocking it vs. special ordering it.  Either way, their SKU is 8400772 for the 20# bags.

I have no idea what they charge the stores, or what the stores charge.  They pick the stuff up from our warehouse and transport it to their freight consolidation center here in St. Louis before it ships to the Gainesville, GA and Loxley, AL warehouses

• FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    My local ACE in Newnan will hopefully start carrying it. I went in and asked for them to order some, no idea of amounts. I highly doubt he buys pallet for the first go around, but I suspect if I can get others to buy it, he will stock it regularly.

Here's to hoping, because the two BGE around here all sell crap for charcoal now. BGE, Cowboy, Natures Own, and Carbon Del Sur.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    FATC1TY said:
    My local ACE in Newnan will hopefully start carrying it. I went in and asked for them to order some, no idea of amounts. I highly doubt he buys pallet for the first go around, but I suspect if I can get others to buy it, he will stock it regularly.

They can order a single bag if they want......it comes on the truck with all their other Ace restock for the week.  It doesn't matter if they order one bag or a hundred bags, the per bag rate stays the same.

• Fosk
    Fosk Posts: 19
    Options
    The Ace in Woodstock had it last time I was in...a couple weeks ago.
  • Philicious
    Philicious Posts: 346
    Options
    Is Rockwood going to be available at ACE in Tennessee, specifically East TN?
    Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.
  • stlcharcoal
    Options

Is Rockwood going to be available at ACE in Tennessee, specifically East TN?
    @Philicious It should be available.  What city are you in?  I can check to see who has ordered.  If no one has it in stock, any should be able to order it.
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Options
    flynnbob said:
     I guess that it is up to the franchise owner regarding the lump that they want to stock.

It is......they stock what they want.  Ace has a big catalog for them and they just order what they want/need every week.  If they get enough people asking for it, they may consider stocking it vs. special ordering it.  Either way, their SKU is 8400772 for the 20# bags.

I have no idea what they charge the stores, or what the stores charge.  They pick the stuff up from our warehouse and transport it to their freight consolidation center here in St. Louis before it ships to the Gainesville, GA and Loxley, AL warehouses

Ace sells it for $21 - $24 for a 20lb bag.
    Milton, GA.