Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do you...exercise?

Options
NPHuskerFL
NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
I'm beyond proud of my blushing bride (married since 98). So SWMBO and myself have decided to do our best to stay healthy. She has completely changed the dietary stuff (30+ days strong :-) ). She has a full gym at work so she goes in about 2 hrs early daily to hit it hard. And at lunch she does some outdoor laps w/ her boss lady who does marathons. SWMBO wants to do a 5K in July. My work tends to keep me less sedentary so I tend to slack in exercise. I have not changed my diet but, I want to exercise more. We now have our gym at home. Just finished assembling and testing Sole E35 2014 Elliptical. We also have a a full BowFlex System. So now when SWMBO works from home she can get a good work out in as well. Here are a couple of shots of the E35 and yes, I just finished putting the beauty plastic covers on so was enjoying a cold one for my labor :-) So do you?imageimage
LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Over the years I've had an eliptical, a couple of treadmills and a couple other 'home gym' types of equipment. Most exercise I got was carrying them into the basement, then eventually back up for the yard sale.
    Options
    @Tjcoley‌ we had that same mentality and then I don't know.....something changed. Good things are happening :-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    @Tjcoley‌ we had that same mentality and then I don't know.....something changed. Good things are happening :-)

I am glad for you being able to stick with it. Not an easy thing to do, as evidenced by all the failed New Years resolutions. Keep at it.
    Options
    +1 New Years resolutions tend to be lost by late January ;-). Thus why we have made a very stern move toward better health. And I have tried to incorporate that into my egging. Truth be told I'm one of "those" people that can eat just about anything and everything and not gain weight (that unfortunately doesn't jive with SWMBO so I do my best at making her special dishes)...she deserves it she's my Queen :-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    If exercise means preparing and eating tasty vittles, drinking beer and good whisky, then yes I work it hard.  If you mean running, or any other activity that might cause one to break a sweat other than standing next to hot cookers........not so much. :D

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    Yes. At least 3 times a week, often more. I was in my early forties, had 2 kids that were playing club soccer and I was about 40 pounds overweight. I was at the soccer fields 4 nights a week watching my kids work hard while I sat in a portable chair and had the same conversations with the same parents night after night. So I started as jogging slowly while the kids practiced soccer. At first I could only do 1.2 miles and it took me 15 minutes. I would add 1 minute to my run every week or two. I worked my way up to 6 miles at a 10 minute/mile pace - it's not fast but is better than what I could previously do. Then a colleague introduced me to crossfit. And we had bought an elliptical that my wife still uses now 10 years later so I occasionally use it as well. I don't have a gym membership but I now have a jump rope, adjustable 55 pound dumbbells, and a 15 pound medicine ball that I use for my workout - in addition to pull-up bars at the neighborhood park.
    I'm still 10 pounds overweight but I'm much healthier than I was 9 years ago ...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    I'm glad I've been able to keep up on the workout regimen that 26 years in the Air Force drilled into me.  Work out on Nautilus twice a week, aerobics about 4 times a week, ski on weekends during the winter and hike on weekends during the summer.
    Still need to lose about 20 lbs though, and Mr. Egg isn't helping... 
    :|

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    I sign up for races to force myself to exercise. Ran my first 10k last spring and then a 1/2 marathon in the fall. I have slacked since the fall but will be getting back on the horse. Also have done p90x and it is some serious stuff. Hands down the hardest and most rewarding workouts I've ever done. Thinking of pulling the trigger on p90x 3. Workouts are condensed to 30 minutes. I need that with 4 year old twins.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    This summer I hit mile marker 70. I do a short series of exercises every morning followed by a brisk 2 mile walk. This routine is 7 days a week irregardless of the weather - that's what coats and boots are for in the winter!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I ride a bicycle. Some days, I hook my dog to the MTB and take him for a 4 mile ride/run. About 30 minutes. Other days, I hop on the road bike and go for 20-30 miles through the Connecticut countryside. 

Winter is tough... riding at 15 mph into a 10 mph headwind at 10°F with snow and ice on the roads wouldn't be much fun. I have a stationary trainer that I hook up to the bike. I can "ride" while watching TV. But I HATE stationary exercise equipment! I would rather ride 30 miles outdoors than 30 minutes in the house. I really have to force myself (often failing) during the winter.

For years, I would run a few miles several times a week. That can be done 12 months a year. However, my knees finally suggested that I stop beating them to a pulp. The bike doesn't bother them. Running does.

Here's why I prefer to ride outdoors. Pic was taken during a ride last Fall. About 3 miles from my house...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options

@RRP -

I'm with you on the walking regime - every morning.  It's my dog's duty to get me out of bed at 0500 and out walking thru the hills.  Excellent exercise, and while I'm still mid-60s, running is not going to happen.  I fly commercially out to the Channel Islands off SoCal, and part of my work routine is taking folks on incredible hikes.  I use trekking poles to help the knees and get a little more exercise to the shoulders and arms.

The egg is unkind to the girlish figure if there aren't substantial calories burned.  And ol' Tom loves his eatin', so walking it is...

Santa Paula, CA
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    I sign up for races to force myself to exercise. Ran my first 10k last spring and then a 1/2 marathon in the fall. I have slacked since the fall but will be getting back on the horse. Also have done p90x and it is some serious stuff. Hands down the hardest and most rewarding workouts I've ever done. Thinking of pulling the trigger on p90x 3. Workouts are condensed to 30 minutes. I need that with 4 year old twins.
    I'm intrigued.  Convince me that p90x3 is better than just googling "crossfit workouts" and doing them to the best of your ability. I did that every day this week with my 19 year old nephew who was an all-conference wrestler and is preparing for marine corps boot camp.  What does p90x3 give me over that?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I have my good times and bad times when it comes to exercise.  I suppose many people are like me.  I will get into a routine and work out regularly for a long stretch of time; but sometimes I get in a "slump" and don't work out for a while.  I usually start back when none of my pants fit anymore :).  My typical routine is some sort of weightlifting + cardio using some type of machine or running. 

My wife have done P90X and P90X3 and really enjoyed those.  If interested, I would start with P90X3 and if you like it try the original p90x.   Right now I have stopped doing that for a while because I have a shoulder injury I need to get looked at.  

I used to run fairly regularly but for the past couple of years I have been having a hard time getting back into it.  I have issues with my Achilles tendons (sucks getting old!).  Currently I am doing the couch to 5K program and I think that is going to get me over the hurdle.  

@cortguitarman I like P90X-3.  It's not has hard as p90x and the condensed workouts are definitely nice.  My only complaint is there is not as much weight training. In the original P90X each phase had a lifting days where you hit every muscle group in a week.  P90X3 isn't like that- some phases are more cardio/core focused. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Like Smokeypitt I go through stages but usually work out 5 days a week. We just moved into a new house so everything wasn't set up yet so it was easy to make excuses but I finally got everything arranged last week. I got a concept 2 rowing machine several months back and have power block dumbbells and a preacher curl with bent bar and adjustable bench. I got the projector hooked up with the speakers last week also so its much more tolerable to row watching tv on a 6' screen.
  • williamadamsesq
    Options
    If I make it to Saturday, I will have made it to 4 years of daily exercise. I weighed well over 300 lbs and lost 112 lbs in 13 months. I run not less than 20 miles per week, not less than 2.5 miles per day. Start slow, watch overall calorie intake and keep consistent. Good luck.
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    @Williamadamsesq - Your ROCK!!!  Hats off to you.  I'm sure your quality of life has improved dramatically.  Keep up the great work!
    Santa Paula, CA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Not.......on purpose.
    Options
    Wow! Sounds like a lot of you doing your best to stay healthy. That's fantastic! @williamadamsesq‌ that's awesome!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @Carolina Q‌ that's a beautiful country side view. I agree I rather be outdoors. But any exercise is better than none I guess :-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌ it's definitely a choice to be made. And although my occupation can be physically strenuous at times I realize I need more. I had a bout with Testicular Cancer in my mid twentys and due to many years of smoking I now have COPD (if you smoke quit you'll feel 1K x better). I try to stay healthy as I owe it to myself and my family. Side note: F U Cancer!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Options
    Bicycle here. Try to do 100+ miles during the months where day light savings times stretched the days and 50 a week during the colder months. Actually doing the Bicycle Ride Across Georgia on a couple of weeks. Close to 350 miles this year
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    @Carolina Q‌ that's a beautiful country side view. I agree I rather be outdoors. But any exercise is better than none I guess :-)
    If you look to the right from that spot, you can see that they raise a few calves for a bit of veal. Not much though.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• tjosborne
    tjosborne Posts: 529
    Options
    I dont, I get plenty of exercise at work. I should start lifting though, make my job a bit easier.
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
  • Carolina Q
    edited May 2014
    Options
    This thread reminds me... anyone here use a Nordic Track skier? Guy I used to work with has used one every day for years, is almost 70 years old and weights about 170! I figure it can't be any worse than an indoor bike! :)

I just looked on craigslist and there are two listed locally, one is $70, the other only $35!! I've never even seen one being used and was wondering if there is anything that typically goes bad on them. Not that it's a lot of money, but there's no point in bring home an oversized paperweight. Any thoughts on what to look for would be appreciated!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• krobertsmsn
    krobertsmsn Posts: 655
    Options
    I ride hilly/mountainous 50-150 miles a week on my bike year round in NW GA. Some mountain climbs 7-8 miles long at grades ave 7-8% and up to 23% in some short areas. I love it!

Active=moving a lot as in daily housework, shopping, yard work or at a job requiring moving, lifting etc
    Exercise=heart rate up and breathing labored cont for several min. Rec 30 min daily or 150 min/week for cardiovascular health.
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Krav Maga training once a week with cardio beforehand.  Wish I could go more!!!!
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Crossfit 5 days a week at 5am. Mt bike on weekends.
  • Searat
    Searat Posts: 80
    Options
    Run twice a week. Lift 3 days a week. Play on the weekend (heading out backpacking in the Golden Trout Wilderness over the holiday with Boy Scouts). Had to cook the Pork Butts this weekend so we're not out of meat for the week.

NPHuskerFL keep working at it. You're still trying and that is the first step to climbing any mountain.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    My right arm is muscular and very well toned.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• NPHuskerFL
    Options

This thread reminds me... anyone here use a Nordic Track skier? Guy I used to work with has used one every day for years, is almost 70 years old and weights about 170! I figure it can't be any worse than an indoor bike! :)

I just looked on craigslist and there are two listed locally, one is $70, the other only $35!! I've never even seen one being used and was wondering if there is anything that typically goes bad on them. Not that it's a lot of money, but there's no point in bring home an oversized paperweight. Any thoughts on what to look for would be appreciated!
    Not to much to them. My Mom had one for many years and enjoyed it especially when it was blizzard weather in NE. Seemed like a pretty reliable unit.

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014