Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Georgia Mountain Eggfest

gpsegg
gpsegg Posts: 427
Great time , great food and great people! Thanks to all the cooks and a special thanks to John (Egret) and Joan Hall!
George
Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.

Comments

• cajuncook
    cajuncook Posts: 99
    Amen to that. Lots of good food and I picked up lots of tips and ideas. Tip from the brisket class: keep the daisy wheel completely closed the first hour after putting the meat on to focus the smoke on the brisket. Interesting.
    Live on beautiful Lake Hartwell GA
  • bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    edited May 2014

I agree, Thanks to John and Joan Hall and all the cooks for a great event. All the food was great and I also got to try some jalamango lime wings prepared by @Dyal_SC,  and they were awesome.

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• nealcr1
    nealcr1 Posts: 198
    It was definitely a great day. Wish it was more than just once a year.
    Mini Max, Medium BGE, Large BGE, Lodge Cast Iron Sportsman, Digi Q II, Woo 2, AR with Oval setup
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    Great time today! My first eggfest and it was a lot of fun...minus a little rain
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• awm
    awm Posts: 181
    It was definitely a good time...
  • awm
    awm Posts: 181
    I also converted 2 to people from gassers.
  • mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    Congrats on converting two more folks away from gas. My daughter is getting married here in a few weeks and I'm thinking of getting them a BGE for a wedding present. I'm thinking a large so they can grow into it (oh, and to make sure they have room for when I come over!). 
    I picked up an egg a couple of years ago and love how versatile it is... steaks are great, ABT's wrapped in bacon are my favorite warm up until the meat is done.
    Glad to be a member of the egg family... and sing its praises to all that will listen.
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Great time and great food. It was nice meeting @Dyal and is wife Elle.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I had a great time also but have to question the keep the daisy wheel completely closed the first hour on brisket cooks. Smoke goes stale and can cause an off taste if there is no air movement. I didn't hear this first hand but the person that was telling me said that the reason given for this was that meat only takes on Smokey flavor at the beginning of the cook which again is not correct. As most know here the reaction that causes the smoke ring only happens at the beginning of the cook but smoke flavor can happen at any point and the smoke ring is just for show anyways it doesn't affect final product.
  • Bearlodge
    Bearlodge Posts: 45
    My first and it was a great time.  I really enjoyed meeting many of the people that I have been reading here and the food was GREAT!
  • Cymbaline65
    Cymbaline65 Posts: 800
    A great time and great chow. I only got to meet a few folks I've met via this portal.
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    @Cymbaline65‌ wished we had met. I would have given your my bottle of ancho powder.....easy for me to get and I don't leave home without it.
    John and Joan put on one damn fine fest. We will be back next year.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    edited May 2014
    Agreed!    :-bd
    And:  I'm still full . . .
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Cymbaline65
    Agreed!    :-bd
    And:  I'm still full . . .
    Oh god, Kristi. I'm still full too.
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • Cymbaline65
    @Cymbaline65‌ wished we had met. I would have given your my bottle of ancho powder.....easy for me to get and I don't leave home without it.
    John and Joan put on one damn fine fest. We will be back next year.
    Were you cooking AE?
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited May 2014
    Yes we was cooking. Did two batches of Monkey (chasing the rum) Bread and a Irish Nacho Gratin. Friday party baked a Pimento cheese in garlic bread. We were with the Texas contingents.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Cymbaline65
    Ah ha! Actually AE, we did meet. Well, kinda. I did sample your wares. Bravo!
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    I attended EGGtoberfest last year and was slightly disappointed with the offering. Hesitantly, I decided to attend the Ga Mountain Eggfest & I was blown away at the quality of food! The cooks and teams at the Ga Mountain EGGfest were EGGCELLENT!! Great event!
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,024
    It was a pleasure meeting all of you! My wife and I had a blast. Can't wait til eggtoberfest to do it again. Great job throwing it together, @egret‌ ! @JRWhitee‌ , it's a small world! We had fun hanging with you guys.
  • Bearlodge
    Bearlodge Posts: 45
    Great food, great fun and great people.  Can't wait to do it again next year!
  • warwoman
    warwoman Posts: 279

Great event. Only had to travel 30 miles over the mountains to get there.....and 30 "full" miles home!

I took a spy with me, a friend who had purchased a KJ large (at a very good price, I might add,) but I ain't switching from "Big Green". I told her we could possibly find some high temp green spray paint, but she didn't go for that. She loved it!

I think next year I will jump off the deep end and cook for the mountain fest! Already planning menu!!!

From the NE Georgia Mountains! Me, SWMBO, and two spoiled ass Springers!
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited May 2014
    @big_green_craig I guess you didn't get any of my Chicago Brisket Chili.  [-(

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    JRWhitee said:
    @big_green_craig I guess you didn't get any of my Chicago Brisket Chili.  [-(
    Hmmm, I don't remember having any brisket chili. Did I miss that?! Crap! Are you cooking this year? I think I have decided to. 
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,024
    edited May 2014

I attended EGGtoberfest last year and was slightly disappointed with the offering. Hesitantly, I decided to attend the Ga Mountain Eggfest & I was blown away at the quality of food! The cooks and teams at the Ga Mountain EGGfest were EGGCELLENT!! Great event!

I cooked at both the eggtoberfest and the ga Mtn eggfest. I think all the cooks at both events did a wonderful job. Each cook spends hundreds of dollars of their own money cooking for others, simply to enjoy sharing their passion for the big green egg...and they expect nothing in return. I'm sure the "offerings" would be better quality at the eggtoberfest if the cooks had an endless supply of money to feed the thousands of people in attendance. If you do end up cooking, you'll learn how fast your food goes. You spend all day creating your signature dish, and once you plate it up, it's gone within a matter of seconds. There is no way to keep up with the demand.

But I do agree with you that the cooks at the GA Mtn eggfest did a spectacular job.