Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-OT All you horse-players; three weeks and what happens at the Belmont?

Options
lousubcap
lousubcap Posts: 32,341
Yes-I would like to see a horse win the Triple Crown since it has been soooo long.  (25 years from Citation til Secretariat (greatest horse ever!!)) and now we are looking 36 years on.)  Given the challenges and the competition skipping the Preakness along with the distance, hell of a hill to climb.  for the sport I hope it happens but  in today's world it's not such a big deal.  Just an opinion...
Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• SenecaTheYounger
    Options
    The gentleman who hired me at Corning many moons ago owned a racehorse who took second at one of the 'big' races. And he has done well enough with his horses that I think he has managed to break even.

Sport of Kings. Now the sport of industrialists and internet gurus. I think if a horse took first in every race, including the triple crown, the owner just about breaks even. The real money is in stud fees. Of course, they took the fun out of that long ago.

For the sire, I mean.

But really. The sport is expensive.

As cheap as California Chrome was, I bet it costs more to keep him and race him than the winnings will offest.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY

• lousubcap
    Options
    @SenecaTheYounger-great insights and that's why us pedestrians only watch and bet:) But given the challenge I really want some horse to get there.  When the last Triple Crown winner was in 1978 (arguably the best head-to head competition ever) most have no clue.  And if they have a clue, they don't care.  This could turn into a social commentary but I'm too deep into bourbon to carry on.  BTW-thanks and hopefully there will be some buzz for the Belmont.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    Options
    I'm hoping that Chrome can get it done... I'm not a big horse guy, but that seems like a pretty cool story. The horse looked great in the first two races. Plus, it will get more people interested in the Belmont race. Might just have to pick up a nice bottle of bourbon, sit back and enjoy the day!
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I bet the horse 'cause the jockey wore a BGE GREEN hat.
  • RdRdrFan
    RdRdrFan Posts: 21
    Options
    Wife and I were at the Derby again this year. We thought about heading to NY for the Belmont just in case he does it. We are big horse racing fans and would love to see two of the three races if/when a horse does pull it off. We just don't think that Cali Chrome has the juice to pull it off with the horses that held out of the Preakness. Distance and the fatigue that comes with three monster races over 5 weeks work against him in a huge way. I don't think he is the one to do it. Nevertheless, we will be watching and I'd be an idiot to not include him in my exotics for the Belmont.
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    Options
    As I say " give'm hell-Odell" I'm pulling for him all the way... Have showed horses on a shoestring budget nationally (not race horses)  -  great to see the "back yard horse" do well and keep all the dreams alive of folks just like Chrome's owners...those experiences will stay with you a lifetime and some folks with big money will ever experience that feeling!!!  If he wins there will be a BIG OLE PARTY!! 

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• corey24
    corey24 Posts: 386
    Options
    I agree @RdRdrFan I just don't know if he can either.  The Preakness didn't have the horses the Derby did.  In the Belmont it will be the best of Derby and Preakness.  It's a loaded field.  It will be tough.  Cali Chrome couldn't have had a better break at the Preakness.  I will say I was however impressed with him over the last 300 yards. I really thought he would get caught based on what I saw at the Derby but no one made up any ground on him.  I've never seen a Triple Crown winner in my lifetime as I was born in 79 so I will be rooting for him all the way.  Watching history is always fun!

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

• Dulax43
    Dulax43 Posts: 18
    Options
    I'm looking forward to the Belmont and hoping Cali Chrome has a better outcome than Big Brown the last time I was this excited for the 3rd leg of the Triple Crown. 

Champlin, MN

LBGE - August, 2013

• ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options

I had picked Ride on Curlin/Calvin Borel to win the Derby, and was glad to see them race and get 2nd at the Preakness. I think most of the other Derby runners that held out of the Preakness are wussies.

I do not train race horses, but I don't think Chrome will be burnt out racing 3 times in 5 weeks. I think California Chrome can claim the Triple Crown with our without nose strips, it's not an issue.

"Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • Wylecyot
    Wylecyot Posts: 203
    Options
    Interesting take Iousubcap.  I had the same conversation the other day, but with a different slant.  First, I have to agree with you...this year's Preakness did not have the quality of horses as in past races.   But, in the "olden days", I recall more horses running running all three legs of the Triple Crown.  To me, it's a bit unfair to introduce fresher horses to compete against a horse with only two weeks rest.
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr, 36" Blackstone Griddle Blackstone Tailgater and Roccbox owner/operator from Los Angeles
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Wylecyot said:
    Interesting take Iousubcap.  I had the same conversation the other day, but with a different slant.  First, I have to agree with you...this year's Preakness did not have the quality of horses as in past races.   But, in the "olden days", I recall more horses running running all three legs of the Triple Crown.  To me, it's a bit unfair to introduce fresher horses to compete against a horse with only two weeks rest.
    Stud Fees, yo. It's all Stud Fees.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Tell that to Funny Cide :)>- He never had a chance:)
  • RdRdrFan
    RdRdrFan Posts: 21
    Options
    ibanda said:

I had picked Ride on Curlin/Calvin Borel to win the Derby, and was glad to see them race and get 2nd at the Preakness. I think most of the other Derby runners that held out of the Preakness are wussies.

I do not train race horses, but I don't think Chrome will be burnt out racing 3 times in 5 weeks. I think California Chrome can claim the Triple Crown with our without nose strips, it's not an issue.

Calvin didn't have Ride On Curlin' in the Preakness. I had a fairly substantial box exacta with Ride On Curlin' and Cali Chrome in the Derby but the wide post position and poor start just left too much ground to make up. But Rosario had a good trip with him Saturday. And I think you are underestimating the strain of these races.