Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kabob/ Kebab/ Kabab/ Kebap

Options
caliking
caliking Posts: 18,731
A rose by any other name...

Well, these are popularly known as "shish kabobs", so that's what I'm rolling with. I've been egging, but haven't been posting much since caliprince keeps us pretty busy. 

Had a pork tenderloin in the freezer that was looking quite forlorn. Pulled it out and decided to do something with it.

Drizzled with EVOO, seasoned with sea salt and fresh cracked pepper.

Mashed up several garlic cloves, fresh oregano from the garden, and Himalayan pink  salt.

Rubbed the paste onto the meat and let it sit in the fridge for an hour or two.Fired up the egg, 350°Fish, direct, AR in place.

Kabobs starting to look lovely. Forgot to add the tomatoes! Doh!

Plated with cous cous made indoors. 

It was a simple, tasty, healthy meal. The garlic and oregano really came through in a great way. This is the first time I ever made shish kabobs, and I don't know why it took me so long. Will definitely be repeated. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• ericp
    ericp Posts: 152
    Options
    That looks great. Great pics. I need to do more of these..thanks
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Healthy, tasty, and great looking. Nice job!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Awesome job! Caliprince is growing like a weed. Man they grow up fast.

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Mmm, need to break out the skewers.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Very nice! Kid has his Mom's looks thankfully.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    Nice simple cook!  You have a handsome Prince there!  my SWMBO is camera shy too ;)
    canuckland
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    The SWMBO said that lil Cali is definitely lookin like a little prince. Oh and the kabobs look great too!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
    Options
    Is Direct or Indirect best with Kabobs?

I'm doing some tonight and was thinking 350 indirect since the beef is in chunks and I didn't want to immolate it OR the veggies..

Thx!
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
    Options
    PS: was thinking of doing these on my Mini BGE vs the KJC since it'll be just me tonight and with only 2 skewers will have plenty of room on the egg and not need the bigger capacity of the KJ.

Cooking choices are Mini BGE with raised grid (Mini Woo + small pizza stone for indirect since PS is broken) or KJC.  In the Mini the kabobs will be a lot closer to the fire so not sure if direct or indirect and which rig to cook these on.

Hmmm..
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    My first recipe as a new BGE owner was pork Souvlaki on Greek Pitas with Tatziki.
    Dearborn MI
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    http://tideandthyme.com/souvlaki-gyros/

Here is the recipe and it was great, Ken
    Dearborn MI
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Wow, and it's only been 2 months. Caliprince is growing.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @smokybear - with the mini, I would be tempted to go indirect, since the grid is closer to the coals.Its important to cut the meat chunks small and the veggies a tad bigger, to make sure all the bits are done at the same time. Sorry if this is too late for your cook today. hope it turned out eggcellent!

@RAC, @Canugghead, @Mickey, @Mattman3969, and LS - I am thankful everyday that he took after his momma for looks. My ugly mug is fit for radio.

And yep he's growing like a weed, and getting cuter every day! :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.