Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cigars

Options
2»

Comments

• KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    The old Cooler a dor. There are plans online how to make them. A cigar shop manager I know uses distilled water and kitty litter in some sort of special bag. 
    Dearborn MI
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I used a little dorm fridge for a while...humidifier beads.

I will say I don't buy online anymore. I try to support my brick and mortar. It's nice to have a place to enjoy a stick and libations....and good conversations. If these places shut down and everyone purchases online the only contact we'll have is on the net. Oh, dagnabbit.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    My place just closed due to damage from a fire a few businesses away. One opened trying to put the smaller one out of business a few doors down etc and pissed me off. I always did both especially since many selections are limited. My place that closed had a great selection and Manager and I guess isn't re opening which bums me out. He carried a big line of Torano's that even Cigar International doesn't carry.  I haven't had a raise since 2008 and took pay cuts and health care concessions and can't always pay $3 to $4 a stick more to support brick and mortar exclusively.  Sometimes you have to shop where it's cheaper out of necessity. 
    Dearborn MI
  • jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Options
    I just found a new local store. Small, but he's got a May special on Obsidian stick for $3.10. Beats the price of on-line.
    Kemah, TX
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    henapple said:
    I used a little dorm fridge for a while...humidifier beads. I will say I don't buy online anymore. I try to support my brick and mortar. It's nice to have a place to enjoy a stick and libations....and good conversations. If these places shut down and everyone purchases online the only contact we'll have is on the net. Oh, dagnabbit.

Also the FDA is trying to take over the cigar business and regulate what can go in a cigar. That could kill the cigar business. There are quite a few cigar shops here in KC, but Outlaw Cigar is my favorite. They have their own brand.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Understand @KenfromMI‌ .. I'm a cheap sob..hell, I drink pbr. I never go out to drink.. too expensive. If you're ever in Murfreesboro we'll sit in the mancave and have a stick and a "good" beer.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    When times were good in Michigan and myself and wife were getting raises I supported everyone local and didn't care about the price. I also make my own beer and if I do buy I only buy Michigan Micro Brews ever since our economy crashed and the auto industries flopped years ago.  I still buy food at small markets etc and really don't smoke enough cigars to make a difference anyway. As a matter of fact I made pizzas for the first time on my BGE the other night and bought everything at a little family owned Italian market the size of my garage in my neighborhood and paid more than a regular grocery store would charge. 
    Dearborn MI
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited May 2014
    Options
    I have never smoked a cigar in my life. Can't stand the smell of those vile things. 

However, I have smoked cigarettes for most of my adult life... until last August. Found myself in the hospital for open heart surgery. It was not a pleasant experience. 

The nice folks there politely suggested that it would be an excellent idea if I stopped smoking. So I did. Haven't had a smoke since 8/23/13.

No more preaching, but you might consider it. Your family will probably appreciate it. I know mine did. And my heart is, you know... STILL BEATING!!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• KenfromMI
    Options
    Well I know they aren't good for u but they are better than cigarettes. The tobacco fields aren't sprayed with all the chemical like cigarette tobacco. You don't inhale them and an occasional cigar is a lot less smoke than an everyday cigarette habit. I know several doctors who smoke cigars but won't touch a cigarette. Not inhaling doesn't narrow your arteries like cigarettes do or so I've been told by a Doctor.........mouth cancer is real though.
    Dearborn MI
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    In the winter I may smoke a cigar once every month or so or go months without one. In the summer it is like one a week. I can't drink right now on my diet so a good cigar once in a while gives me a good buzz. I think that cigarettes are grosser then cigars. I like pipes once in a while too.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    edited May 2014
    Options
    @Carolina Q -
    I have never smoked a cigar in my life. Can't stand the smell of those vile things. 

I've got to assume that this is irony/satire.   There's nothing more vile than a cigarette - yes, I used to smoke those too, years ago.

Congrats on kicking the cigarettes, though.
    Kemah, TX
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Listening to the Tigers and Red Sox... Enjoying a NUB Hababo 466 and some Bulleit 10yr

• KenfromMI
    Options
    I figure I'm 45yrs old and just started smoking them about a year ago. Would have an occasional one prior to that on special occasions etc and didn't own a Humidor. Prior to last Summer my last cigar was about 8 years ago.  I quit smoking cigarettes at 19yrs old when cigarettes were $1.25 a pack in Michigan. Think they are about $7 a pack now. I haven't had a diet or regular pop in over 9 years and I don't eat processed garbage foods and only eat out once a month. I work out and do cardio as well. If an occasional cigar kills me I guess it was meant to be LOL 
    Dearborn MI
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited May 2014
    Options

I like most everything.  Here's my "humidor".  It's a 120 qt Igloo cooler.

Very nice. How're you humidifying in there?

Humidity beads.  Bought them from this place many years ago and they are still working well...just spray them with distilled water every few months, give or take (varies considerably depending on your climate).

I made my own containers for the beads, they look like this:

Packerland, Wisconsin

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    Thanks bro. I have a few ( :( ) broken thermoelectric wine fridges that I'm going to convert into humidors. This is helpful.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Thanks bro. I have a few ( :( ) broken thermoelectric wine fridges that I'm going to convert into humidors. This is helpful.
    See a lot of guys going the old fridge route.  Seems to work good, especially if you have to control temps in hot climates (not an issue here is Wisconsin, my basement is always mid to low 60's).  They look nice and already have shelves too, which is nice.   Really like the beads though for any type of humidor, can be purchased for 60%, 65% or 70%.  I use 65% beads, seems best for burning to me.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Bearlodge
    Bearlodge Posts: 45
    Options
    Padron and Arturo Fuente.  
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I like Maduros.  Favorites are Punch and Upmann, but I smoke others.  Don't get to enjoy nearly as many as I would like - only smoke them outdoors in good weather.image
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY