Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri-tip

Options
Got a 3lb tri-tip to cook saturday. Have never cooked one. Give me some options, please. First thought is just do reverse sear, but anybody else wanna chime in with something else? How do YOU do them? Thanks in advance.

Little Rock, AR

Comments

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    If it has the fatcap still on it I like to cook them fat cap down direct at about 250+/-  until internal temp 130. Probably take you about 1 to 1.5 hrs. Let it rest and cut thin.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • jfarley
    jfarley Posts: 145
    Options
    I've become a true believer in the reverse sear, especially with the nature of the Egg. Low and slow, indirect at 220 to 230 until internal of about 130. Remove the roast, grate, pan, and platesetter. Replace the grate for direct and open the vents wide. Don't forget to burp after this point to prevent the backdraft when you open. Sear for 4-5 minutes per side and you should have a consistent medium rare roast. 
    LBGE - July 2012
    Valencia, CA
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I'm not from CA, so I really have no idea on the best way for tri-tip, but I thought they were to be done hot n' fast. No idea why actually, prob because that's how a Santa Maria pit works. Again, no personal experience.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Thats what Im wondering. I know I can make it great with reverse sear, but is there anybody who has adopted an egg version of a santa maria cook?

Little Rock, AR

• Jeronamo
    Jeronamo Posts: 50
    Options
    I made my first tri-tip last weekend for fajitas. I'm not sure if this is the authentic method but it worked well for me. I marinated in a bit of canola oil with a Mexican spice mixture then cooked it raised direct at about 450 until IT reached 127. I don't remember how long it took but was fairly quick. when done I rested it for 5 minutes and then sliced. It was a big hit with the family.
  • Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379
    Options
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/guy-fieri/santa-maria-tri-tip-recipe.html @Biggreenpharmacist‌ I did this one on my small last memorial day. The recipe has a long marinade time though and Guy Fieri Santa Maria tri tip on you tube explains it better than the recipe. It was outstanding.
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited May 2014
    Options
    jfarley said:
    I've become a true believer in the reverse sear, especially with the nature of the Egg. Low and slow, indirect at 220 to 230 until internal of about 130. Remove the roast, grate, pan, and platesetter. Replace the grate for direct and open the vents wide. Don't forget to burp after this point to prevent the backdraft when you open. Sear for 4-5 minutes per side and you should have a consistent medium rare roast. 
    Reverse sear works very well for tri-tip. I put my CI grid on the fire ring, a few spacers on the grid and then the setter legs up. Spacers makes it easier to pull the setter. Second grid on the setter. Target temp of 225º-250º until about 5º-10º below your target finished temp. Once I pull and remove the setter, I pull my dome thermo and let her rip. The CI grid is already hot. I sear for maybe 2 minutes a side and slice across the grain and as thin as I can get it. 
    If you Jaccard, I find it works best with the grain. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    @DMW said:
    I'm not from CA, so I really have no idea on the best way for tri-tip, but I thought they were to be done hot n' fast. No idea why actually, prob because that's how a Santa Maria pit works. Again, no personal experience.

I cook tri tips on a regular basis and have for many years. One reason I cook them so often is they're cheap and regularly on sale in the $4 to $5 /lb range. IMHO they are a flavorful but tough cut of meat, that's why I suggested cutting them thin. Another issue with them is that they are not even in size over the roast they're triangular. The roast tapers down to a small "tail". If you were to do a hot and fast that small end would be toast. Anyways there's a lot of ways to skin a cat and if you prep them right they're pretty tasty too!
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser