Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help... How not to dry out Chicken.

Options
ChaseD
ChaseD Posts: 7
I'm still new to the Egg World. I have cook chicken tenderloin strips twice now, they have good flavor thanks to Dizzy Pig, but I feel like their dried out. I cook them indirect with the plate setters legs up, at 375-400 for about 45 mins flipping them halfway through the cook. Is it because I used the tenderloin strips, to hot of a temp, or cook time too long, would I be better off cooking the whole breast? Like I said I'm still a newbie, and would appreciate any help!

Comments

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Thermapen is a game changer on breasts. 165 and done, made a few yesterday very moist. Cook time is key IMO, strips can come out just as juicy but you need to pull em at the right time.

Edited out the 160.. Net says 165.
    Seattle, WA
  • ChaseD
    Options
    Thanks SkinnyV!
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Its tricky we all fear that undercooked chicken, I've even noticed it can hit done temps and sometimes have a little pink to it, cooked pink not raw. I trust my pen, some people though will want it cooked more its all preference really find the sweet spot for your household.
    Seattle, WA
  • xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    +1 on the thermapen. You need to cook to temp and you will never dry out your chicken again.

If you're coming just tenderloins, they will be done much quicker. I cook full bone in breasts that long.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • SenecaTheYounger
    SenecaTheYounger Posts: 368
    edited May 2014
    Options
    The only way to dry out meat (other than when making jerky or dry aged beef, for example), is to overcook it. Use your thermometer.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I cook the breasts with the bones. We prefer them over the boneless. The key for moist chicken regardless of the cut is pulling at no higher than 165.  

I get rave reviews over my chicken. I give all of the credit to my egg and of course the thermapen. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    the tenderloins make better stir fry as the ends always over cook for me by the time the middle is up to temp on the grill. cooking a whole breast is easier on the grill and thighs always come out good, even boneless skinless thighs
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ChaseD
    Options
    Thanks again for all of the advice. Just looked at the Thermapens, I'm all for spending money on a good product. But are there any comparable thermometers out there on a school teacher budget?
  • MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Options
    I got the Thermoworks RT600B. While not as quick as the high end model it is very good/accurate and has helped my cooking.
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited May 2014
    Options
    ChaseD said:
    Thanks again for all of the advice. Just looked at the Thermapens, I'm all for spending money on a good product. But are there any comparable thermometers out there on a school teacher budget?
    Check out the Thermopop by the same company.  It is $24 vs $100ish.  

Just another tip on the chicken- don't cook tenderloins :).  Try skin-on, bone-in, chicken parts or a whole chicken.  Much more forgiving.  It is still a good idea to cook to temp.  A good instant read + a spatchcock chicken and you will be in yardbird heaven. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    You are cooking the hardest part of the chicken to get right, fillets or tenderloins. They are small, very easy to overcook. I skewer them to make them larger and they are done in under 10 minutes, raised direct, 375-400º. At 45 minutes you overcooked them by a long shot - cook to temp, not time. I'm betting if you took the temp of your cook with a good digital thermo, your tenderloins would be well over 200º, they were cooked and ready to pull at 155º - resting to finish at 160º. 

I prefer fillets breaded and used for chicken fingers. I do not like them for stir fry, they are too delicate and don't like being moved around. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Brining helps a lot w. chicken white meat, at least as far as moistness goes. If you dry brine, that is, rub some salt over the meat at least once a day before, the salt will first draw moisture out, and then pull that same moisture back into the meat, and hold it there longer.

My take on the OP is that the time is both too long and too hot for tenderloins. As mentioned, a good thermometer will easily indicate when the meat is ready.

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    You are cooking the hardest part of the chicken to get right, fillets or tenderloins. They are small, very easy to overcook. I skewer them to make them larger and they are done in under 10 minutes, raised direct, 375-400º. At 45 minutes you overcooked them by a long shot - cook to temp, not time. I'm betting if you took the temp of your cook with a good digital thermo, your tenderloins would be well over 200º, they were cooked and ready to pull at 155º - resting to finish at 160º. 

I prefer fillets breaded and used for chicken fingers. I do not like them for stir fry, they are too delicate and don't like being moved around. 

X2

At 45 minutes for chicken tenders they are wayyyyyyyy over done. I cook a whole spatchcock in roughly 45 minutes, you only have the tenders.

• fishlessman
    Options

stir fry isnt limited to rice and veggies and soy
    :D

fukahwee maine

• ChaseD
    Options
    That looks awesome!
  • fishlessman
    Options
    ChaseD said:
    That looks awesome!
    if you do that with a cast iron fry pan when the chicken is browned put it ontop of the lemon slices to finish cooking, its cooler on the lemons than on the hot pan. i was cooking that alot stove top and also splashing a little champagne vinegar on it. those tenderloins are just a hard cook so i try to really get the flavor packed into them
    fukahwee maine

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    @SmokeyPitt‌ said check out ThermoPop. I agree. Since it's made by the same company, the specs are easy to compare. I've had mine for a few months and it's made eggin' much more enjoyable. It's 2 sec slower according to specs. The design can put your hand a bit closer to the fire at times because the shaft doesn't pivot. But for the money saved, two sec and an occasional awkward positioning is worth it. Just my two cents.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Forgot to mention the cook time. You've overshot your cook time by more than a half hour. At those temps your looking at about 10 minutes for strips. Thermometer is an absolute must have. You'll probably figure out that you've been over cooking lots of meals once you get a thermometer. Food cooked to proper temp without over cooking has so much mor flavor. Also, your guesstimates will get more accurate the more you use your pen so you'll know the approximate time to open and check food.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Options
    + 1 on bone-in skin-on breasts instead of tenderloins. I cook them indirect to 160 - fool proof. I usually throw in a few pecan or cherry chips, not too many. This simple preparation has won over a lot of folks to kamado cooking.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Options
    Let the meat rest about 10 minutes before you cut it.  Once you start cooking it right, cutting it too early can still ruin it.
  • jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Options
    ++1 on the Thermapen. It's worth it in the long run
    Kemah, TX
  • xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    I would just splurge for the thermapen. I've had mine for 10yrs and it works like I just took it out of the box
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    ChaseD said:

I feel you brother, I'm a teacher too. With that said, the thermapen is worth the money. We use ours on almost everything we cook, my wife thought i was nuts for spending that much. It's funny that she uses it every time she cooks meat.

Mark Annville, PA
  • Jeffroe189
    Jeffroe189 Posts: 273
    Options
    I feel you brother, I'm a teacher too. With that said, the thermapen is worth the money. We use ours on almost everything we cook, my wife thought i was nuts for spending that much. It's funny that she uses it every time she cooks meat.
    Its worth every penny although the new thermo pop looks cool to.
    Jeff from Winston-Salem, NC  - LBGE, MiniMax, Blackstone
  • PoshPatios
    PoshPatios Posts: 41
    Options
    I've heard that adding mayo to the marinade makes it keep the chicken really moist. Has anyone done this?
    What is this? A center for ants!?
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

I've heard that adding mayo to the marinade makes it keep the chicken really moist. Has anyone done this?
    No, haven't heard that.  I think if you soak chicken long enough in a salty marinade you'll get enough brine in the bird so it'll stay moist longer when overcooked, but mayo is egg emulsified oil and acid (lemon juice and/or vinegar) with salt and I can't see how that would help.  But not having tried it.....dunno.
    The only thing you need to do to keep meat from drying out is to not over cook it.  That's it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY

• tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    edited May 2014
    Options

What the heck are you talking about?  To keep the chicken really moist here's the secret: Spatchcock the bird.  Throw on  your favorite rub 10 minutes before cooking.  Throw it on raised direct @400 for between 45 minutes and 1 hour - Start checking at 45.  When thighs are 175 remove.  When breast is 165, remove.  Eat!  Nothing else.  That is all!!!  Don't make cooking chicken a difficult task.  Try it!!

This is not to say you shouldn't experiment.  But when you want it REALLY moist, see above.

Santa Paula, CA
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I do a lot of what others have suggested but there is one more step I follow to avoid dry chicken meat and it works every-time.

Avoid chicken breast, stick with drumsticks, thighs, & wings.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.