Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is this a full packer brisket or just a flat?

Options
I'm confused. It's pretty thin. Started as 9 pounds. I probably trimmed a pound of fat. What's the flappy part (close up on 3rd picture).

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Hard for me to tell for sure from the pics, but you may have trimmed all the fate between the point and flat. Was the "flap" actually on top of the flat portion? If so, that is the point.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • busmania
    busmania Posts: 414
    Options
    The flap is off to the side, I didn't alter it and it came out of the bag that way. I did trim some hard fat that was likely between the point and flat but what I think is the point is so thin.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Looks like an entire brisket with most of the point chewed off by hungry wolves.
    Options
    +1 looks like literally it was butchered of the fat separating the point & flat. But, it's difficult to tell from these pics.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • busmania
    Options
    I'll take more pics before putting it on but I already rubbed it down. Here is a pic in the package. I trimmed a ton of fat from under so it ended up being skinnier than it looks in this picture.
  • busmania
    Options
    And noemi not sure how long to cook it for which is really why I started this.
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    That is a packer. You trimmed the heck out it. What temp are you cooking?
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • busmania
    Options
    GATABITES said:
    That is a packer. You trimmed the heck out it. What temp are you cooking?

Again, I bought it this way. There was 3/4" of fat on the bottom and that is all I trimmed. I trimmed literally zero actual meat. Lesson learned...again. Going 225 for temp.
  • busmania
    Options
    Should I leave the flap on for the cook? I figure it can't hurt it, right?
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    That pic in cryovac is definitely a packer.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    The thinner pieces will likely burn. The whole idea with "trimming" is to have the point and flat finish at the same time. Always choose the thickest most consistent flat (meaning ya don't want a wimpy flat).
    Not to be a broken record with all the other brisket threads but, this is a good watch. FWIW.
    BBQ with Franklin: The Brisket: http://youtu.be/VmTzdMHu5KU
    BBQ with Franklin: The Payoff: http://youtu.be/sMIlyzRFUjU
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • busmania
    Options
    Thanks husker dude. I'm a cornhusker fan myself. I have seen those but will watch again while working tomorrow. I should also point out I bought this on a whim. I went to a new store for some other groceries and since they had full packers and it was the first time I ever saw a choice cut in a store around here, I bought one. They also only had two to choose from. The other was only 7.5 pounds so I picked up the heavier one.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    edited May 2014
    Options
    The middle pic makes me think it is essentially a flat with the very bottom portion of (what's left) the point attached. I would treat it like a flat while cooking. Leave the flap on and rub it like normal
  • busmania
    Options
    The middle pic makes me think it is essentially a flat with the very bottom portion of (what's left) of the point attached. I would treat it like a flat while cooking. Leave the flap on and rub it like normal

What should I do different? I was just going to let er rip overnight at 225 for 10-12 hours.
  • Crimsongator
    edited May 2014
    Options

I would let it cook to about 160* internal temp at the 225*. Then you could wrap it in foil until it hits 200* and rest it.

As a change I would cut the point off and cook it separately (but not foil it) Make burnt ends out of it.

You got a bad butcher job that was hidden in the cryovac

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options

You got a bad butcher job that was hidden in the cryovac

Yep
    NOLA
  • GATABITES
    Options
    How much of the fat cap did you trim? You want to leave at least 1/4 in to protect the meat from drying.
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • busmania
    Options
    GATABITES said:
    How much of the fat cap did you trim? You want to leave at least 1/4 in to protect the meat from drying.

I did indeed keep about 1/4 inch of the fat cap. I didn't plan to foil but now I am going to. Good thing I'm on baby duty tonight.
  • GATABITES
    Options
    Good idea. I tried not wrapping, but 2 of the 3 times I did wrap it was juicer. Keep us posted. Take pics
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Biggest advise is take your time, get the egg temp stable 225℉-275℉, thickest part should be in the rear toward the hinge and monitor temp of pit and product cook by both temp but, more so feel. Will be watching :-). Don't fret you got this $hi+ ;-) Plenty of folks here always willing to help ya out. :-D
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    You could cook it in a foil pan (uncovered) and the seal the top tightly at 160* as well. It might help preserve some of the juices for later use.
  • avibug
    avibug Posts: 172
    Options
    Does wrapping in foil (or sealing the foil pan per Crimsongator) after it hits 160 limit the meat's absorption of smoke, or is the smoke flavor pretty much in at that point?  
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    @avibug-As long as there is smoke available and the meat surface temp is less than the smoke temp, you will continue to get smoke to adhere.  The "smoke ring" is temperature sensitive and once you get to about 140*F, any ring action is finished.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Options
    Dare I say travis style? %-(
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN