Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is 80 degrees too warm to start cold-smoking my cured bacon?

Options
New2Q
New2Q Posts: 171
I have a slab of cured pork belly that's ready to smoke.  I'd love to put it in the Egg (with the Amaze-N-Smoker) when I get home (~6:00 PM) and then take it off 7 hours later (~1:00 AM) but it's gonna be 80 degrees at 6:00 PM.  It'll cool down to the point where it's 66 degrees at 1:00 AM.

So is that safe?  Would it be better to put a pan of ice on the platesetter (lifted off the platesetter with pieces of foil of course)?

Thanks for any tips - I appreciate it.

Comments

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2014
    Options

Yes, this is safe for belly.  Now if you were cold smoking fish, fish starts to cook in the mid 80s. 

As long as the temp stays in the 80s, I would not worry about cooling your egg with ice.  Any higher and you will start to render fat, something you don't want to do.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    It's already cured so it doesn't have to follow the 40-140F @ 4hr max rules anymore.  You will be fine.
    Options
    Thanks guys.  The temp will taper down from 80 degrees at the start of the smoke to 66 at the end.  I'll stop worrying and start the smoke when I get home.
  • New2Q
    Options
    And here's the results.  I cut the slices in half because they were so long.  This is what I cooked up this morning and it was the best bacon I've ever had although it was a bit too salty.  Next time I will add a soak in ice water after the cure.  But even with that it was still the best bacon ever.  :D

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    The salt flavour will dissipate a lot after it sits for a while.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• New2Q
    Options
    Thanks LS.  The question is will it last long enough for the salt flavor to dissipate. :)