Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Compliment for XL?

Options
CheeseheadinAZ
CheeseheadinAZ Posts: 315
edited May 2014 in EggHead Forum
I have an XL and love it. Came across a small from an ex-distributor for cheap. I had originally thought if I had ever got a 2nd it would be a medium or large. Any thoughts on the value of small paired with the XL?

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Same combo I have. Works well for us.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    I have a medium and really like it.  It's a good size for cooking for 4. I now use my XL much less than I expected. 

If you're cooking for 2 - 3, I'd say its a good complement. There's enough room for a spatch chicken, fish, pork butt or side dishes if the main meal is on the XL.  I could cook for 4 on a small, but I like having extra room on the grid to move food around and deal with hot spots when I'm doing burgers, steaks, wings, etc.  

If its cheap enough, buy it and try it.  If it is too small, sell it and get a medium.  You won't be out much money.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Small enough to be portable and big enough for most cooks
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @WeberWho? That's exactly why I went with the Small as my second. I wanted something that could be somewhat portable.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Options
    I have small and XL, and I think it the perfect combo for 2 people.  If I had a hungry kid, I might go larger.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Compliment? "You look good in green." Or, "No dear, green doesn't make you look fat."  :D

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mud Pig
    Mud Pig Posts: 489
    Options
    Buy another XL is the way to go. Purely from a financial perspective you'll save money buying another XL and being able to use the flip ring, spider, grates, etc... that you already have. If you buy a large, medium, or small you have to get all new accessories. It doesn't cost less to go smaller than the XL if you already have one.

I probably have $700 in accessories for my XL. It would have to be one cheap large with a lot of freebie accessories to make up for that.
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    @MudPig - I keep thinking it would be nice to have another egg.  So many folks here love their egg families.  From a practical point of view, if you are cooking for a small family and own an XL, it makes absolutely no sense to have more than one egg.  OK, there are a few "good" reasons.  One could be used for Hi temp cooking while the other is doing something at a lower temp.  I want to take a BGE camping/tailgating/beach.  I want a smaller egg so that I don't use so much charcoal (ah - the economy of scale).  OK, I admit it, this is not a "rational" decision.  Those are all someone else's reasons.  I have an inner voice telling me it would be "cool" to own another egg.  But the Vulcan in me is locked in mortal combat with the consumer me.  I can probably afford it.  I use my XL a lot.  Why not???  Why??  Damn it's hard to be me...
    Santa Paula, CA
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    tksmoke... How many grills did you have before the egg? One? How did you possibly manage?!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options

@CarolinaQ - That's what I'm talking about.  It's damn hard to be me...

Santa Paula, CA
  • Cowdogs
    Options
    Compliment? "You look good in green." Or, "No dear, green doesn't make you look fat."  :D

Nice answer.  He gets one letter wrong... but fortunately you're here to offer your assistance.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Cowdogs said:

Nice answer.  He gets one letter wrong... but fortunately you're here to offer your assistance.

Ha! I always have to think about that one too.  :D

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options

Purchase the small because its a deal, flip it for a profit, and save up to buy the medium.

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I have a small with my XL. It's really nice having one so different in size. I can get much closer to the lump for searing, And I can cook sides/apps while I'm smoking something in the XL.  I use them completely differently.  Also, the small is the perfect size to hold my dutch oven.  I have both running about 60% of the time, and never have needed anything larger than a small for the secondary tasks I have my small handling. I also like being able to crank it up so fast and balance it so fast for the weekdays.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Cowdogs
    Options
    And I can cook sides/apps while I'm smoking something in the XL.  I use them completely differently. 
    I'll do it this way too, but often I'll do the opposite.  I'll do 1 large pork butt on the small, and leave the XL open for apps and sides.  Sure I could finish the PB early on the XL and FTC it, but I like it better if I can avoid the FTC.
  • Mud Pig
    Mud Pig Posts: 489
    Options
    This may be sacrilegious but I have a Weber little smokey joe for tailgating. I throw it in the back of my truck with no worries. I never smoke on the road so it meets my needs. Just a thought.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Mud Pig said:

This may be sacrilegious but I have a Weber little smokey joe for tailgating. I throw it in the back of my truck with no worries. I never smoke on the road so it meets my needs. Just a thought.

I have a mini but end up taking my Weber Smokey Joe 9 out of 10 times. Eggs almost become a hassle if it's for something simple like burgers and brats tailgating. If I were out tailgating for a long period of time I would grab the small or mini. Usually it's something quick from the Smokey before or after softball every week. If someone takes it out of my truck bed I'm only out $30 rather than $300+ with one of the eggs
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @mud_pig - Absolutely it's not sacrilegious.  BGEs are great, but they're just one brand of many types of smokers/grills that are excellent.
    Options
    My compliment is "Hey Egbert XL, you sure do bbq right!!!"
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    Ahh, the scent of a BGE....