Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

suggestion for new egg owners

Options
13»

Comments

• SpartanPride
    SpartanPride Posts: 161
    Options

Henapple, I could have written that. Every. Single. Word. For example, I haven't done pizza on the egg in at least a year. But I get accused of sacrilege if I say any of those things. 

What do you guys do pizza on out of curiosity?

@nolaegghead‌ ... You know saying "don't watch the first 30 seconds" just makes us all go watch!! Now to go buy some man grates
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @SpartanPride - hahah...it's called reverse psychology!

I still cook pizzas on my egg (and in my oven) but it's because my oven doesn't get hot enough for the type of dough (and pizza) I like to make.  Agree with the other stuff....main thing is do what works for you, but find that out first before you invest in it.

I still have bricks, a plate setter and cheap extra cooking grills rather than the AR or Woo.  Might buy one some day, would buy faster if they were sold on Amazon....I hate to give my CC number out these days.
    Options
    What do you guys do pizza on out of curiosity?
    My oven. Just as good, much more convenient. As a bonus, mine will get to 725° so that helps with Napoletana style pies. However, a nice NY pizza, Chicago Deep Dish or generic local pizza joint style pie is well within the capabilities of any 500° oven.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SpartanPride
    SpartanPride Posts: 161
    Options
    I guess I'm still on the Egg high. That said, I used to do them in the oven and they haven't come close to the egg. I guess my cooking skills improve with and Egg and a few beers outside.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I tried them on the egg, then I started trying them in the oven. I honestly can't tell the difference.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Damn...auto tune much? What to cook? Liver... your own. Jk broski.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    Options
    this thread has jumped the shark me thinks
    B-)
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    If they had guns, they could have settled it with a duel like the good ol' days.  (or at lease they could both have garden implements)

Garden tools :-? A couple of hoes? Sorry if that was used before. Didn't have time to read all the comments.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

@henapple very wise. Listen to him, you must.

I'm glad I kept my old offset smoker, if I only do get to use it a couple times a year down at the ranch. Still enjoy cooking on it. Kinda wish I had kept my gasser for some quick cooks, but at least my parents are getting some good use out of it.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Carolina Q what brand/model oven do you have that can hit 725F?
    I am new to this forum. I have always wanted a smoker but never knew what to buy. I heard about the Big Green Egg on a local radio show. I am very interested in purchasing one but how do I know what size and what to buy? I hope someone can help
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Are you in TO?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Buy a Large

Big enough for family cooks an neighbor/party cooks. If you need more, you can add more. 

IMO
    New Albany, Ohio 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options

Are you in TO?

What the hell is TO?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options
    jllbms said:
    Had a table... and a fire. Converting to a nest and a SS side table.that is why I don't have a table....plus I store mine in the garage and the nest is small

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• MadcapMagician
    Options
    This should be a sticky at the top of this forum. As well as any other pertinent info that could help us noobies.i don't think lump arguments are important the first few months as a new egged. The cheap stuff will teach us our egg. No you may say it does matter, but you need to learn your rig first. Just my opinion.
    1 brand new XL BGE 1-22" WSM 1-Weber Performer 1-Four Seasons gasser West Islip, New York
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    This should be a sticky at the top of this forum. As well as any other pertinent info that could help us noobies.i don't think lump arguments are important the first few months as a new egged. The cheap stuff will teach us our egg. No you may say it does matter, but you need to learn your rig first. Just my opinion.
    If cheap charcoal tastes bad, then you might never learn how to cook good on the egg if your charcoal makes everything taste like burnt hair.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    How much cheaper is cheaper anyway?
    New Albany, Ohio 

• DGarner211
    Options
    The suggestion on the table is a good one.  I was fully intent on building a table, but now that I've had it in the nest for a while, I'm reconsidering and thinking of putting a handler on the nest and using a side table.  There are a lot of reasons for that, but probably the best reason is I want to be able to roll it around if need be.  I have a screened porch I could use in a pinch, and we have a patio off of our bedroom, so if I'm working I can keep an eye on it out the window.  I basically need the table/cabinet for countertop workspace and storage.

I did get a woo, platesetter, pizza stone, etc., but you can do without all but the platesetter.  I also got thermometers, and if I were in a pinch for cash, that's the first thing I'd buy personally.  A Maverick 733 and a Thermopen/Thermopop will take you a long way.  I suppose I could do low and slow cooks without the Maverick and faster cooks without the instant read thermometer, but they sure make getting good results a lot easier.  Plus the Maverick gives me some peace of mind on overnight cooks since I can set the alarms and if the BGE goes nuclear on me, it will wake me up.  I slept like a baby during a 9 pound pork shoulder smoke because I knew the Maverick would let me know if there were any issues.
    Powder Springs, GA
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Nice Post . . splurge on thermapen on day 1.

Cooking to INTERNAL TEMP rather then TIME = my greatest BGE lesson.  Instant gamechanger that makes you want to shout BIG GREEN EGG from the mountain tops! 

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options

@Zeeker17,

Buy the biggest egg you can easily afford.  Don't get "egg poor" because you will need some accessories (Thermopen) as you get settled in to egg cooking.  But, the more room you have the more options you have in terms of more meat (brisket or multiple racks of ribs) or even adding side dishes (veggies on the egg are great). 

Most people here would tell you not to get a plate setter (ConvEGGtor) but instead call Tom at the Ceramic Grill Store.

http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/

The other good option is to pick up an egg at an eggfest if there is one near you.  They typically sell large BGEs with some extras for about $700-$800.  If you do that, you will get a plate setter and learn use it for a while and then you can decide later if you want to upgrade.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    Excellent advice.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • Zeeker17
    Options
    Foghorn said:

@Zeeker17,

Buy the biggest egg you can easily afford.  Don't get "egg poor" because you will need some accessories (Thermopen) as you get settled in to egg cooking.  But, the more room you have the more options you have in terms of more meat (brisket or multiple racks of ribs) or even adding side dishes (veggies on the egg are great). 

Most people here would tell you not to get a plate setter (ConvEGGtor) but instead call Tom at the Ceramic Grill Store.

http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/

The other good option is to pick up an egg at an eggfest if there is one near you.  They typically sell large BGEs with some extras for about $700-$800.  If you do that, you will get a plate setter and learn use it for a while and then you can decide later if you want to upgrade.

Thanks Foghorn
  • TQB
    TQB Posts: 29
    Options
    Very nice post. A bunch great information in there for a new person like me. 

So far I havent went wild as I have no clue what I really want/need. I got a PlateSetter, Nest, Ash Tool so far. I have a Maverick PT-100 for a instant thermometer. Hopefully that is good enough as I dont want to really buy another one. 
    Central Pa
    XL BGE