Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Not so sweet bbq sauce

Options
I just cant handle these BBQ sauces that are as sweet as sugar and most are today. I would like a good BBQ receipt with a touch of sweetness but not over powering. some of you eggers have a receipt for such?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    looks for sauces that contain liquid smoke.  these sauces are typically more smokey than sweet.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Options
    2 cups cider vinegar
    1/2 cup ketchup
    1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
    5 teaspoons salt, or more to taste
    4 teaspoons hot red pepper flakes
    1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Look at this: http://eatocracy.cnn.com/2012/07/09/bbq-sauce/ and consider making your own. The article mentions that the earliest sauces had no sugar, tho' I suppose there was sugar in the rub. I've finished ribs w. a baste of butter, red pepper flakes, and then a sprinkle of Turbinado sugar, and been happy.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    edited May 2014
    Options
    I'm with you - I can't stand most commercially prepared sauces! Here' s one I call our House BBQ sauce that I have been making for years... In a blender combine the following: .5 cup water .5 cup red wine .666 cup brown sugar 1.5 cup catsup 1 tea crushed garlic 1.5 tea ground black pepper 2 tea salt 2 tea paprika 2.5 T dry mustard 4 T Worcestershire sauce 3 long dashes of Tobasco green pepper sauce. If you want you can substitute red wine vinegar for the red wine.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • MJH
    MJH Posts: 102
    Options
    INGREDIENTS
    1 cup ketchup
    4 tablespoons brown sugar
    4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    2 tablespoons cider vinegar
    4-8 dashes hot pepper sauce (Crystal preferred)
    2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

DIRECTIONS
    In a saucepan over medium heat, stir together the ketchup, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, hot pepper sauce, garlic powder, mustard powder, salt & black pepper. Bring to a simmer for a spell, then let it rest for a bit to congeal.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Sure wish someone would try Dead Guy Sauce and report back. It's a Food52 contest winner by TRex. I keep meaning to try it, but still haven't.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Is that a sauce sperm?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited May 2014
    Options
    RRP said:

I'm with you - I can't stand most commercially prepared sauces!

Here' s one I call our House BBQ sauce that I have been making for years...

In a blender combine the following:

.5 cup water
    .5 cup red wine
    .666 cup brown sugar
    1.5 cup catsup

1 tea crushed garlic
    1.5 tea ground black pepper
    2 tea salt
    2 tea paprika

2.5 T dry mustard
    4 T Worcestershire sauce
    3 long dashes of Tobasco green pepper sauce.

If you want you can substitute red wine vinegar for the red wine.

Your sauce sounded so good up to the point the devil entered into the mix 666. ;-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    If you want to try a bottled sauce Stubbs is not too sweet.  4 grams of sugar per serving.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Stubbs is good stuff...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    For in-a-pinch commercial, Stubbs is good stuff. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options

@henapple,

As my boy would say, "jinx" ;) 

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Funny, never thought of 2/3 cup as .666. But then again, most people use fractional terms when using standard volume capacities. I wonder if anybody says 2/3 of a liter?
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    Funny, never thought of 2/3 cup as .666. But then again, most people use fractional terms when using standard volume capacities. I wonder if anybody says 2/3 of a liter?
    I used the .666 since when I have posted recipes before and say 1/2 cup or 2/3 cup I honestly have received questions asking if I meant 1 or 2 cups or 2 or 3 cups. Get my drift? LOL
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    RRP said:
    stemc33 said:
    I used the .666 since when I have posted recipes before and say 1/2 cup or 2/3 cup I honestly have received questions asking if I meant 1 or 2 cups or 2 or 3 cups. Get my drift? LOL

+1...I like it. Makes since to me.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • MJH
    MJH Posts: 102
    Options
    The recipe I posted is my Stubbs Original ripoff. By far the best bottled sauce, but lots of parts of the country that can't buy it.
  • Ktim
    Ktim Posts: 364
    Options
    2/3 = 2 or 3 cups, that is funny!  =))
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?13616-No-5-Sauce

You can read the years of readers comments and tweaks as well. I ended up with a #8 sauce starting with this base recipe, Ken
    Dearborn MI
  • twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    Options
    I don't like the sweet ones either. Open Pit original is my sauce of choice - especially on chicken.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    RRP said:
    stemc33 said:

Don't do that to a retired guy. I was wanting to see your .666 cup and found I have one L-) You just got to come to Texas one day my friend.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    I worked in a popular rib joint for 4 years in high school and I made their "secret sauce" every tuesday with the owner. It was doctored open pit. I can't stand open pit straight or doctored on anything lol.
    Dearborn MI