Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How About a Great Pizza Thread

Options
Still trying to master pizza, but getting closer. I'm trying to get the stone temp, dome temp perfect for a crispy but not burned crust, but also with some browning on top.

I was aiming for 500 dome and stone temp (IR thermo for stone). It got a little hot while I was waiting for my wife to get home with the rest of the fam from a bday party, so the first was a little scorched on the bottom when the top was done. I closed it down and go it back down to 500. Drifted down to 450, as either the fuel ran low or my OEM grate started to clog with ash.

Final result was the best yet. Crispy, not burned crust. A little browning on top, but not enough yet.

I think part of my problem is I'm looking too much. I read/watched a video before about making pizza and it said to keep it moving and not to worry about opening the dome a lot. I'm starting to think that is bad advice. My plan for next pizza cook is 500 and keep the top closed for improved browning on top.

Setup was PS, grill grate, and stone on grill grate to keep stone from getting too hot. I set the pizza stone on the PS to get it up to temp faster, then removed carefully and placed grate on PS and stone on grate.

Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE

Comments

• xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    Please add your pizza tips here. Let's get a great pizza thread going!
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Doesn't look anything like the pizzas I make, those pies gotta be good!

I can you how not to make them.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• tjosborne
    tjosborne Posts: 529
    Options
    Just open once, to turn pizza 180° halfway through cook. Those pies look good too, btw.
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I have found that cooking as high as possible in the dome helps cook the toppings more than if the stone is more in the middle.
    Greensboro, NC
  • BigWings
    BigWings Posts: 172
    Options
    I cook pizzas by sight, but instead of opening I just look down through hole in top.   I'll use a flashlight if need be, but it is the best way to ensure you've got optimum golden browning on top.  I am pretty tall though so technique may or not be for you.

New Brunswick, Canada

• ElCapitan
    ElCapitan Posts: 154
    Options
    BigWings said:
    I cook pizzas by sight, but instead of opening I just look down through hole in top.   I'll use a flashlight if need be, but it is the best way to ensure you've got optimum golden browning on top.  I am pretty tall though so technique may or not be for you.

I do likewise and started to melt one of my cheap plastic flashlights!

I've started using parchment paper to help with the transfer from peel to stone and stopped using corn meal.  
    XL Owner
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    BigWings said:
    Careful. (Fish's egg)...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,770
    Options
    BigWings said:
    Careful. (Fish's egg)...
    no looking with a 1200 degree pizza cook, the 180 degree dome opening pizza turn is hard enough
    :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379
    Options

Your pizzas look great. I agree that it is easy to look into the top opening to see how the pizzas are cooking. A light or reflecting light in the top with my metal peel works too. I cook pizza setter legs down then stone then 16" steel plate. I use a raytec temp gun and wait until the steel reads 430 degrees to put the pizza on.

Maumelle, Arkansas
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    no looking with a 1200 degree pizza cook, the 180 degree dome opening pizza turn is hard enough
    :))
    Okay, how about this one?  :D I forget who's pic this is.image

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• xiphoid007
    Options
    I try to look through the top as I'm pretty tall as well. Still a little nervous I may lose some eyebrows doing this.

I haven't used parchment yet either. I think the cornmeal works pretty well and I really like the roasted cornmeal flavor the crust gets from the cornmeal roasting on the stone.

Those who cook on the afterburner, have you measured your stone temp? How long do you have the grill at 1200 before you start cooking?
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • tjosborne
    Options
    Its there. This is a great thread now.
  • tjosborne
    Options
    Lets keep it coming, make this the greatest pizza thread ever!
  • kdink
    kdink Posts: 336
    Options
    I try to look through the top as I'm pretty tall as well. Still a little nervous I may lose some eyebrows doing this. I haven't used parchment yet either. I think the cornmeal works pretty well and I really like the roasted cornmeal flavor the crust gets from the cornmeal roasting on the stone. Those who cook on the afterburner, have you measured your stone temp? How long do you have the grill at 1200 before you start cooking?

Does the cornmeal burn?  When I used it, the cornmeal turned black right away?
    2 Xl's, MM and Forno Bello
    Pizza Oven in Bergen County, NJ
  • Ktim
    Ktim Posts: 364
    Options
    I do not know how to post pictures or I would, but the way I do pizza is with platesetter legs down with the grid right on it, then a BGE grid extender on that than the pizza stone. I let everything get to temp at 600 degrees for about 30 mins. Dust pizza peel with cornmeal and make the crust  on the cutting board dusted with cornmeal, put it on the peel,working quickly I add the toppings,shaking the peel often to keep pie from sticking.On to the stone for 5-6 mins turning with the peel often.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Recently bought one of these for slicing mine... lot easier to use than those cutting wheels and results in disturbing the toppings less.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Interesting theme here seems to be to open the egg and turn the pizza - that right? I have had so many different results doing pizza. The two great ones have had me wanting to try again but it's not consistent. We have done legs down, grate then up turned pan with stone on top 600. Mixed results
  • CarolinaCrazy
    CarolinaCrazy Posts: 585
    Options

I agree w/ @wolfpack and raise the stone - I go PS legs up, grate, bricks on edge, and then stone - that puts the stone 3" above the felt line and helps the top brown & the cheese melt.

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • xiphoid007
    Options

It turns black but has never tasted burned. I scrape off any extra cornmeal between pizzas. I use a wooden pizza peel and a metal megalifter from pampered chef to scoot, turn, and adjust the pizzas. I use that to scrape the cornmeal off.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • vapilotda
    vapilotda Posts: 22
    edited May 2014
    Options

It turns black but has never tasted burned. I scrape off any extra cornmeal between pizzas. I use a wooden pizza peel and a metal megalifter from pampered chef to scoot, turn, and adjust the pizzas. I use that to scrape the cornmeal off.
    It looks burned but doesn't taste burned. (If that makes sense) I have found that it's a tough balance not to use too much corn meal as it will kind of overpower/texture the bottom of a pizza.
    large and XL BGE in Richmond, VA
  • Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Options
    Arugula Pizza  Soaked sliced tomatoes for 2 days in a fresh herbs and vegetable oil mix, then added the soaked tomato to a thin crust, covered with provolone cheese circles, added diced chives and garlic, a few herbs and topped with a 5 cheese mix. Cooked at 400* on the Egg with pizza stone for approximately 20 minutes! Once off the Egg I hand shred fresh arugula and toss onto the melted cheese. Let stand for a few minutes while I took the shots and then served!I often toss on some pulled pork and bbq sauce, that really gives this pizza a jolt!  On this cook, the group request was for a light snack style appetizer.  When I do the meats on top covered with a light cheese, I would also brown up the cheese a tad more as well. 
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    A "Delia" and a Caramelized Onion and Prosciutto.

imageimage
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
    Options
    Another time we've made a Delia, copied from Cane Rosso in Dallas. The bacon jam topping was killer. It also had roasted tomatoes, EVOO, arugula, and asiago.

Member since 2009
    Options
    A Mediterranean white with EVOO, garlic, basil, oregano, black pepper, sundried tomatoes, roasted red peppers, kalamata olives, banana peppers, feta cheese, and mozzarella.

Member since 2009
  • jad
    jad Posts: 70
    Options
    Lots of good looking pies with great toppings but I don't see any pizza sauce?
    Cary NC
  • dfrelich
    dfrelich Posts: 104
    edited May 2014
    Options
    My family likes pizza sauce, not as a base to our toppings but as dollops on top.  

We do ½ spoonful of sauce... like so.

jad said:
    Lots of good looking pies with great toppings but I don't see any pizza sauce?

X-Large & Large
    Frederick County, MD
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2014
    Options

One can Cento San Marzanos, hand crushed, remove the fibrous parts and basil

A few cloves of minced garlic

Sugar to taste, usually 1t

Sea salt to taste, usually 1t

Freshly ground white pepper to taste, usually 1t

Colavita aged red wine vinegar to taste, usually 2T

Of the three(sweet, salt, and acidity), acidity would be the most critical at balancing the entire pie(creamy cheese, crust flavor, toppings, etc). 

Slowly bring to boil to meld, simmer for 15 minutes or so.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    The family likes no sauce...heavy olive oil, sliced tomatoes, basil and cheese...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    White pizza, EVOO, garlic, spices, grated Italian three cheese, fresh mozzarella, tomato and fresh basil.

photo 040C1B5D-30CF-4140-9FC7-065C57B86BB2_zps1yxahnl6.jpg
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • xiphoid007
    Options
    What dome/stone is everyone cooking these great looking pies at? Try to post your temps, times, and setups, although the pics of setups are even better, so others can attempt to replicate your success!

Thanks to all who are contributing to this! Bookmarking now!
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE