Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

For DMW. Down draft pics.

SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
@DMW Here are the pics of how the reverse flow design works on a vertical. If you look at the small channels located to the left and the right side at the bottom of the cooking chamber this is the flue outlet. There is no other escape. If you look at the opening that runs the width of the smoker at the top this is the inlet. There is a false wall that runs from the fire box below up the back of the cooking chamber and empties the flue into the top of the cooking chamber. The flue has no choice but to down draft as the outlets are at the front lower quadrant of the unit. This allows for even heating of the cooking chamber with no hot spots save for right at the ceiling which will run a little hotter. It is basically the same principal as forcing an horizontal offset to flow from right to left then back right to the exhaust. The only difference on a vertical is you are changing the flow from up to down then back up the exhaust at the bottom. Hence reverse flow

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    is that a pitmaster vault model?  
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • SGH
    Yes sir. It is.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• McStew
    Nice how do you like it, I was going to drop the $3200.00 on that if we get the new house we are looking at. 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Thanks @SGH, appreciate the pics.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    @sgh - That's a nice smoker. Do you compete or it this just for back yard bbq? 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • SGH
    I absolutely love it. It cooks exactly like the Backwoods as the reverse flow system is a copy of there design. I can lock it in at 225 and run over night with out worry or concern. The Pitmakers are the heaviest built units on the market at this time. The unit is just south of 1,000 pounds. It was money well spent in my opinion as I'm getting to old to trouble with tending to the stick burners all night.

Status- Standing by.

• McStew
    @SGH Thanks 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • SGH
    You are more than welcome brother.

Status- Standing by.

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    @SGH after you choose your pic and it shows up on your screen tap the little pic. After you tap the pic you will see a message within te pic that says insert image-delete. Click the insert image. This way your pics will be full size in your post rather than the little pics. I hope I wasn't confusing. Rig looks great btw
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• SGH
    @grege345‌
    Thanks for the advice on the pictures. I will give that a try. Also thanks for the compliment my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    @GATABITES‌
    I do not compete at sanctioned events any longer due to age and some minor medical conditions. However when I'm not working I will for fun enter local non-sanctioned events. I do a lot of charity and fund raisers for needy children. I am entering a local non profit event the 29 of this month and I'm going to use the vertical for the brisket category. All the proceeds I understand to be for the local VFW. I get a lot more joy out of helping needy children and veterans than competing for money and bragging rights. At one time I did enjoy it as much as any one but atlas Father Time has caught up with me.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    @DMW‌
    As always you are more than welcome my friend.

Status- Standing by.