Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Egg is OPEN and CLEAN, Let the Grilling Resume!!

Options
sprinter
sprinter Posts: 1,188
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, after about 3 minutes of looking at the egg and poking around the edge of the rim with a knife, I figured out that the only thing holding the dome to the base was a 2 inch portion of dried grease and grime. I slid the knife through the grime and the dome popped open with no problems, the gasket is still in place too (albeit a little worse for wear after my cleaning attempt, it will still be replaced). So, now I have a nice clean egg thats ready to go.....what to cook? This weekend is my 10th anniversary so I think I'll throw something nice on the grill. We have reservations in St. Louis at Tony's, a REAL nice Italian restaurant (gift from the parents) on Friday evening, this weekend may see the egg cooking some fillets, maybe some fish, or possibly a nice rib roast. That salt crusted method that Dr. Chicken uses is quite nice, haven't done it in awhile. Too many choices. The egg will certainly see some use this weekend though.[p]Happy Q'in to everyone...[p]Troy

Comments

• Dr. Chicken
    Options
    sprinter,
    I knew you could do it! You just needed to put your mind to it! Pardon my smiles and giggles, I know I've done things as bad, been caught between the "rock & the hard spot" because of my own undoing! It's good to see the humor from the other side of the coin. THANKS![p]Happy anniversary to you and your wife! I hope the next 10 yrs are even happier and better than these first 10 have been. I can highly recommend the rock salt packed prime rib roast for a celebration dinner. I've done it twice in the last month and it just gets better & better. I said before and I'll say it again, "I don't think there is a better recipe out there for prime rib!" (I hope someone comes up with another recipe for me to try, after that statement!) [p]Have a good one and again, Happy Anniversary![p]Dr. Chicken

• sprinter
    Options
    Dr. Chicken,[p]Hey doc, good to see you again, its been awhile. I know that work and the yard have kept me away from the forum a bit so I may have missed some of your posts. You back among the daylight workers or are you still working with the vampires?[p]Yep, gotta agree with ya, that rib roast recipe of yours is one of the best, bar none, that I've ever tried. I too would love for someone to top it but it's going to be tough. Thats a winner. Thanks for the warm wishes and kind thoughts, it seems like 1 year, not 10. Now if I could just as easily and painlessly add zeros to the bottom line of the company I'd be extatic. Oh well, you don't respect and appreciate it as much if you dont have to work for it. Take care,[p]Troy
  • Where can I get the details on this rock salt packed prime rib roast?

• sprinter
    Options
    Lumpy,[p]Its in the submitted recipe section, link provided below. Its a definite keeper if you have not tried it yet.[p]Troy
    [ul][li]Doc Chickens Prime Rib Roast[/ul]
  • sprinter,
    thanks, I could not find it. How much Rock salt do you use?

• sprinter
    Options
    Lumpy,[p]Use enough to put a good eighth to a quarter inch coating on the meat. I've made this 2 times now and both times it comes out amazing. Good luck.[p]Troy
  • Dr. Chicken
    Options
    sprinter,
    I'm still putting up wid da Vampires! I think I may grow some fangs too! If ya can't beat 'em, join 'em! Right???[p]Hope you & the Missus have a special night tonight! Congrats![p]
    Dr. C