Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lodge CI DO arrived dinged up

Options
I purchased a 7qt Lodge dutch oven through Amazon that arrived today.  On the bottom outside edge are 5 large dings that occurred after the DO was seasoned.  They are all down to bare metal.  Also, one one side, there is very mild rusting that will easily scour out.  The shipping box was not damaged, so all this occurred prior to packaging, probably at Lodge.

My question is this: is it worth returning or should I bite the bullet on this and just scour and reseason?

Other than what I've stated, it is in like new condition.

Comments

• tjosborne
    tjosborne Posts: 529
    Options
    If its free return shipping yes. If not as long as the inside is ok it should be ok.
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Get it replaced while yu can. Or yu can cook, and blame it every time for some bad cooks.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I'm not a real picky person at all, however when I spend hard earned money on a new item I want it in new condition. That being said I would explain the situation to the manufacture and return it. You wouldn't buy a new dinged up automobile would you? I know that's not a apples to apples comparison but the reasoning is the same nonetheless my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Did you order a damaged DO? I assume not so send it back even if you have to contact them for return postage - it's their error and their reputation to protect!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • markem
    markem Posts: 54
    Options
    Thanks everyone.  Amazon sent me a pre-paid label so I am going to drop it off later today at the UPS store.  I am trying to find out if the Amazon fulfillment center stores these in the box or out of the box as it was clear that the box had been opened, but that could have just been bad glue.

Can't really believe that they don't put bubble wrap or padding around and/or between the lid and body.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    markem said:
    Thanks everyone.  Amazon sent me a pre-paid label so I am going to drop it off later today at the UPS store.  I am trying to find out if the Amazon fulfillment center stores these in the box or out of the box as it was clear that the box had been opened, but that could have just been bad glue.

Can't really believe that they don't put bubble wrap or padding around and/or between the lid and body.

My Lodge DO had a cardboard liner between the lid and body, as well as a cardboard spacer between the lid and top of box. Sounds like yours may have been opened and repackaged without the liner.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    Send it back. 

I bought my Lodge 7qt from wally world. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    I bought a Lodge cast iron skillet and trivet from Amazon once with surprisingly little packaging material on it.  
  • markem
    markem Posts: 54
    Options
    Wally World seems to have them at more or less the price from Lodge.  We have one opening near me in a little while, so I will probably just go there.  ****'s Sporting Goods also has them for a few dollars less.

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    I found a Lodge 7 Q DO in a severely damaged box at my local Walmart. I looked in the box and the DO was just fine, except for a very minor scratch on the edge of the lid. You wouldn't notice it unless you were looking for it like me. I took it to customer service and they cut 10% off the price.
    Dave - Austin, TX