Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

There is a new Firmware (v1.7) for the CyberQ WiFi

TheShaytoon
TheShaytoon Posts: 420
edited May 2014 in EggHead Forum
I was looking through the BBQGuru website and noticed that they have a new version of their firmware.  When I bought mine, late 2013, it had v1.2...they are up to v1.7.

I installed it and it is working way better than v1.5.  Now it can scan available networks and you can select the network you want to join.  

It was pretty easy to install the new version, but hit me up if you have questions.  

Here is the LINK'Y

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
Dallas, TX

Comments

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    Thanks @TheShaytoon - will be updating this evening. Hopefully I'll finally be able to connect in infrastructure mode.
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Thanks for that!!
    Santa Paula, CA
  • TheShaytoon
    @fence0407  this firmware seems to be a HUGE step up.  

Dallas, TX

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Do they have release notes posted for the new firmware? Have they added twitter support by chance? Just curious.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • TheShaytoon
    @DMW They are on Twitter, but no support.  No release notes for the firmware.  What version were/are you using?

Big Change from 1.2 to 1.5 was wifi scanning. And there are some changes in the HTML code. The logo and menu items have moved to the bottom of the page.

From 1.5 to 1.7 seems to be bug fixes and/or internal code.  I can tell you that I have noticed a more stable CyberQ since I upgraded.  

Dallas, TX

• DMW
    @TheShaytoon‌ I don't have one, only have a PartyQ currently. Been considering upgrading and been leaning towards the Stoker. Stoker firmware has support to send updates on temp via Twitter so peeps can follow your cook progress via Twitter. Not sure I would need that, but every extra feature... However CyberQ has open lid detection built-in, and Stoker does not, needs additional software.

Stoker also can be expanded to support multiple pits, I have 2 eggs now, but rarely, if ever, would need a controller on both at the same time.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • TheShaytoon
    edited May 2014
    You seem very verse in technology...so maybe this will make sense to you.  The Data from the cyber Q is a XML file that is updated constantly.  they have it "open" so you can write custom apps.  That's how  the PitPal can control/show the data.  

NOW, I think that's actually a pretty cool feature you came up with, a tweeting CyberQ.  Here is an idea.  The cyberQ can email an address in regular intrevals and if you use IFTTT, I am sure you can make a recipe.  

Here is a cool little tweak...most cell providers give you an email address that forwards emails to your phone as TXT messages.  When the CyberQ sends me an email warning like "food is done" or "pit too hot", I get the messages as TXT instead of email.  

Dallas, TX

• DMW
    @TheShaytoon‌ That's cool the raw XML is available from the CyberQ. Another +1 for it.

As far as networking tech, it kind of what I'm paid to do...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• TheShaytoon
    @dmw Here you go bud.  Below is a copy of one of the three XML files that are available. 

You can see the potential...but I use the pitpal, and after the first few cooks, checking on it and having it email you every hour gets old.  

One of the firmware files seems to have all the HTML code....looked pretty simple to reformat and have all custom....and I am no programmer.

Dallas, TX

• fence0407
    @fence0407  this firmware seems to be a HUGE step up.  

Didn't have time last night to update, but plan to this evening. Is it the same process as when I upgraded to 1.2?
    Cumming, GA  

• TheShaytoon
    yes.

Dallas, TX

• skellis614
    skellis614 Posts: 75
    Agreed. Simple install and more stable from a couple of cooks. Do wish they had a firmware update guide to tell you what changes.
    LBGE, Burgeoning Accessories
  • TheShaytoon
    @skillis614

One of the biggest things I have noticed is that if there was a power outage to the router, the cyber q would not reconnect to the router without a reboot.  That seems fixed.  

Another issue I was having was that the CyberQ would go offline from the WIFI after 4-6 hours...only thing that would fix it was a reboot.  Tried that with MULTIPLE routers, same results.  

I've been testing it for about 40 hours, and it has been going with no problems!

Dallas, TX

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Thank you for the post, updated today.  :)
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • skellis614
    edited May 2014
    @theshaytoon Same issue here locking up after several hours and rebooting. Did it also address the slow response when loading the we page in your review? That was my biggest issue. Apps like pit pal basically time out before it loads.
  • fence0407
    edited May 2014
    @TheShaytoon - Finally got it to connect in infrastructure mode! Now, how do I get pit pal to work? For some reason when I type in the IP address into my browser it times out even though I'm connected
    Cumming, GA  

• skellis614
    @fence0407 Can you connect from a web browser on the same device? If so, close out the app, reboot your device and give it another try using the same address you're using with the web browser. Worked for me last night.
  • fence0407

@fence0407 Can you connect from a web browser on the same device? If so, close out the app, reboot your device and give it another try using the same address you're using with the web browser. Worked for me last night.

Can't connect on any device unfortunately. The cyberq just says I'm connected in infrastructure mode.
    Cumming, GA  

• skellis614
  • fence0407
    @skellis614 - I didn't get a chance to look at the link last night. But, I basically followed the instructions from BBQ Guru. Updated the firmware to 1.7 and then reset the unit. Plugged it back in and scanned for my wifi. Typed in the password, saved it and reset the cyberq. When I plugged it back in, it said it was connected in infrastructure mode. I scrolled through and found the IP address. Tried typing in the IP address into 3 different devices (2 laptops, 1 cellphone) that were all on the same wifi network. All 3 timed out after multiple attempts. I'll try taking a look at the link you sent tonight.
    Cumming, GA  

• Rocket15
    Rocket15 Posts: 42

I had trouble using the update that was in the manual.  I sent an inquiry and I got this answer:

The command window method of upgrading firmware is tedious. Here is a link to our new update app for Windows:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/36490789/CyberQ Wifi V1.7 Update Loader Rename exe.zip

Download the zip file. In your download folder, right-click on the folder and select Extract All.  In the uncompressed folder is a PDF outlining the simple steps to use the app. Note that it is probably best to try using the B files first.

I hope this helps!

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    The updated manual says that it uses 802.11g. This is new since the original firmware.  When I tested it, I got comments from a reader saying that it used 802.11b and that if you had it on the network, it dragged all communications on the router down to .b.  So, it sounds like they upgraded to .g and that it is a good thing?
    The Naked Whiz
  • hoffmand
    hoffmand Posts: 105
    I couldn't get the command line update to work either, but the installer worked perfectly. Thanks!
    Cedar Park, TX
  • tksmoke
    The key to the command line installer is to switch to the directory where the 2 extracted  .bin files are located.  Also as documented, the telnet client and the TFTP client need to be enabled.
    Santa Paula, CA
  • TheShaytoon
    @skilles614 Pit Pal seems to be working pretty good with the new firmware.

@fencw407 So you are getting an IP address to show up on the CyberQ, is in the same range as other devices?  ie..are the first numbers xxx.xxx.xxx.??? the same?

Dallas, TX

• fence0407
    @TheShaytoon - the first 6 numbers are the same: xxx.xxx.???.?? - when I check my ip address on my cell phone which is on the same network.

But, when I type in "my ip address" in google, the numbers are completely different than the cyberq - none match.
    Cumming, GA  

• TheShaytoon
    Hmm. The first three sets should match...

And you are typing the numbers in the address bar, and not searching through Google, right?

Dallas, TX

• tksmoke

The IP Address you see in Google is the external IP address assigned by your ISP.  Your router magically takes that one IP address, and uses that for bringing you email and web pages from the outside world.  For the inside world, it creates an internal network - normally in the 192.168.XXX.XXX range of addresses.  On this inside network, you could have many, many devices, including phones, tablets, PC's, Mac's, BBQ Controllers, etc.  The router takes all the internal network traffic destined for the outside world, and sends it out through the one external IP address.  The internal addresses are completely different from the external address.

Once you have your cyberQ logged into the internal network, you can find its IP address.  When you enter it's IP address in the browser of any device connected to the internal network, you should see the CyberQ cooking web page.

In order to make your CyberQ visible from outside the network (for example over the cellular network if you walk out of range of your internal wireless network), You will need to activate what is called port forwarding.  How this is accomplished depends on your router's interface.

Santa Paula, CA
  • fence0407
    edited May 2014
    @TheShaytoon @tksmoke - here is a screenshot of what I get when I type in the cyberq IP address into my web browser (not google search bar). It does this, or it times out - that's it:

Edit: Both are connected to the same wireless network

Cumming, GA  

• TheShaytoon
    Try another browser...

Dallas, TX