Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pastrami

Options
One day dry cure, 6 days corned in brine, 8 hour bath then four hours smoking on the egg as low as I could maintain (about 180), then into the oven for another four hours at 225 over a pan of boiling water to steam it to 160.  A lot of work for lunch meat but very very good

Comments

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Options
    Looking good!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Looks great!  I would love to do the whole process like you.  What cut of meat did you use? 

My father in law 'gave' me a top round corned beef hunk of meat he bought on sale from Kroger and asked me to cook it for Mother's Day.  Turned out fantastic!  I followed thirdeyes method:

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/05/beef-pastrami.html\

Soaked it in water for about 10 hours.  Rubbed and wrapped over night.  Smoked indirect at 235 grate with some pecan until it reached 150, then wrapped in foil with some chicken broth until it reached 165-170.  Gave it the steam it needed and it was perfect!!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    smbishop said:
    Looks great!  I would love to do the whole process like you.  What cut of meat did you use? 

I second that question.  So far, I've only made Pastrami from commercially purchased corned beef.
    I know it's the brisket, but if I'm going to attempt to corn it myself, I'm curious what cuts of beef might be better than brisket for Pastrami.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    +1 what @smbishop suggested. Thirdeye is a master with more knowledge than most of us will ever be able to acquire unless you started as a young kid on the knee of a master Father like he did! Here's a shot of my first Pastrami and it ROCKED!!! Thanks third eye!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SmokingInMO
    SmokingInMO Posts: 169
    Options
    Actually didn't use a brisket the wife brought home a horrid looking roast, very little fat with the exception a thin layer at the base.  Knew it wouldn't turn out as a roast and potatoes so I said screw it lets try pastrami.
  • tjosborne
    tjosborne Posts: 529
    Options
    So much wisdom to be gleaned!
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE