Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dropped big green egg top

Options

Comments

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options

I personally appreciate the steampunk look of the DFMT.

The look is fine until you are in the middle of a brisky, butt or other low and slow and a torrential downpour storm occurs. The SmokeWare is just better suited for areas known for lots of unexpected rain. FWIW

Seems like the SS cap is perfect for those Southeastern heavy rains. It was a love/hate relationship with those downpours when I was stationed in GA. Loved how they cooled things off, but hated getting soaked. My question is how well do they fit? It reminds me of my chimney cap that rattles loose and gets blown off in the wind. Will it stay in place in the wind?
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • ReldtiCDN
    ReldtiCDN Posts: 142
    Options
    Bought mine when it was a EGGWARE cap, great shop to deal with excellent customer service. Best purchase "set it and forget it". Also matches nicely with the bottom vent, makes the egg look complete.
    Brampton, Ontario

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    $7 DMFT rain issue fix
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Cullum
    Cullum Posts: 215
    Options
    RRP said:
    Don't waste your time and effort! Go with SmokeWare!
    How hot does the grill get with the bottom vent wide open and the SS cap wide open? Like for searing steaks at about 550 degrees.  
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @Cullum : You should easily be able to get up to 500 plus. If you want to go higher just take the top cap off.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    I personally appreciate the steampunk look of the DFMT.
    The look is fine until you are in the middle of a brisky, butt or other low and slow and a torrential downpour storm occurs. The SmokeWare is just better suited for areas known for lots of unexpected rain. FWIW
    Seems like the SS cap is perfect for those Southeastern heavy rains. It was a love/hate relationship with those downpours when I was stationed in GA. Loved how they cooled things off, but hated getting soaked. My question is how well do they fit? It reminds me of my chimney cap that rattles loose and gets blown off in the wind. Will it stay in place in the wind?

No problem at all! Install the gasket inside the SmokeWare and it fits tight!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • NitsujNella
    NitsujNella Posts: 44
    Options
    The Smokeware SS cap was the first eggcessory I bought for my egg.  I love it and would highly recommend it!
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @stemc33‌ The last storm with 60mph gusts didn't even phase the cap. Like Ron said it is good secure fit.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Question:  My daisy wheel gets all greasy and locks up. I can throw it in the egg and clean it.  Is there a problem with the SS cap in the same fashion?  Grease building up inside of it, and do you clean it the same way by putting it in a hot egg?

Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I wouldn't do that, knowing what I know about sheet metal.
    edited May 2014
    Options
    +1 what @nolaegghead said - I wouldn't either. SmokeWare literature says it can be cleaned in the dishwasher so after a year I tried washing it by hand in the sink. That didn't phase the stains at all! I used Bartender's Friend and a helluva lot of elbow grease. The inside is still coal black and I say so be it. If you look closely in the vent you can see I still couldn't get all the stain off. Maybe some one will come along with another idea!
  • keepervodeflame
    Options
    I have a smoke ware cap and love it. We get monsoon rains here, and it can take pretty much whatever the weather dishes out. It comes with a high heat gasket that fits the neck of your top vent. With the gasket, it fits tightly and has never come off even in strong winds. As far as cleaning it, really easy. I just soak mine in hot water and  lemon dish soap, the grease just wipes away. The cap is in two pieces so when it comes apart it is easily cleaned.  
  • RRP
    Options
    I have a smoke ware cap and love it. We get monsoon rains here, and it can take pretty much whatever the weather dishes out. It comes with a high heat gasket that fits the neck of your top vent. With the gasket, it fits tightly and has never come off even in strong winds. As far as cleaning it, really easy. I just soak mine in hot water and  lemon dish soap, the grease just wipes away. The cap is in two pieces so when it comes apart it is easily cleaned.  
    Just for sake of clarification for would be buyers - if you place the strip of Nomex which comes with the cap on the inside of the neck part itself then you can remove the whole thing when doing a burn out. Otherwise if it goes on the dome of the egg itself that gasket will become a mess. Install this way:
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    RRP said:
    If you look closely in the vent you can see I still couldn't get all the stain off. Maybe some one will come along with another idea!
    Ron, "Scary Sharp". 

Sandpaper.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    Options
    sump411  If you need a new DFMT  for your Egg I have 2 that I don't use that I would sell if your interested  send me a privat message 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Lowes sells a vent cover that fits over the daisy wheel...save $40. The dmft will shut the fire down when it's closed. $40 is a lot of beef, pork...or beer. Well, maybe not a lot.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    Love mine!  Never want to use the DMFT again.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    Got mine for xmas...haven't used the dmft or ceramic cap once...
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • Nashvillehardcase
    Options
    anyone have a lrg ceramic topper?  mine broke into a thousand pieces and I would like to replace it.  I know many don't use it.  
  • jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Options
    I just dropped my topper onto a ceramic tile atop my table. The topper bounced and broke the tile!
    Kemah, TX
  • r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    Options
    Just a side note as I was going to ask this question but got the answer from the website, the cap fits M, L, and XLBGE. Guess I'll be ordering two today.
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    RRP other than if its a downpour what benefits have you found with the smoke wear cap over the daisy wheel? Better adjustment etc?
    Dearborn MI
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    My wife dropped my ceramic top a few months ago. I used JB Weld and Permatex sealant to put it back together. It looks like a pre-school art project but it works.

I may be getting the Smokeware!
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    Options
    Those ceramic caps are under $20. Just go get a new one.

• FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    I've never, ever used my ceramic top before.. I didn't think most people did.

I'd get the smokeware one, but my egg has never been rained on, as it's under a covered patio. Still interested in getting it though, as I'm not super fond of the daisy wheel.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • RRP
    Options
    KenfromMI said:
    RRP other than if its a downpour what benefits have you found with the smoke wear cap over the daisy wheel? Better adjustment etc?
    Finer adjustment

Setting stays in place when you open the dome

Snuffs the fire very well

Doesn't rust

Looks cooool!
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I'm outside Tampa. We don't get unexpected torrential downpours...... Ummmmmmm.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    thetrim said:
    I'm outside Tampa. We don't get unexpected torrential downpours...... Ummmmmmm.
    Never!.....except daily this time of year.  I'm just south of you in Sarasota.
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    RRP said:

KenfromMI said:

Finer adjustment

Setting stays in place when you open the dome

Snuffs the fire very well

Doesn't rust

Looks cooool!

May I add:
    Doesn't fall off and break.

No more switching between 2 different pieces to cook vs. snuffing out the fire. It's like a MFST- multi function steel top instead of just a DFMT.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    I'm loving my ss smokeware cap... Has worked great so far and looks badass