Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trick Question: Keep "L" or sell and get a "Mini-Max" to complement "XL"

Options
I was thinking on getting a "Mini-Max" as soon as it came out to complement my "XL", 

Now: it turns out my dad just returned an "L" I had given him stating he doesn’t use it enough to justify it… I think he’d just rather drop-in and dine at my place XD.

So, right now I have an “L” with a bunch of accessories (Plate Setter, Pizza Stone, Nest, Side Tables, and Weather Cover) which I can keep or sell to buy the Mini-Max.

Original thinking behind getting a Mini-Max was: 
1. Ability to have it going real hot to sear while I roast/grill on the "XL"
2. Use it to cook small meals when it’s only my wife and I
3. Mobility (Tailgating/camping/picnic)

The first two I can easily cover with the "L", and it has a few extra benefits, I’d be giving up the mobility issue but I don’t actually thought it would be called upon that often.

IDK how much I could get for the “L” and actually think the accessories would probably just end up “bundled” without adding much, and I’ll end up spending all proceeds to get the Mini-Max and basic accessories... 

Do you guys think that’d be a good trade?

Any toughts?

XL BGE + Large BGE @ Monterrey, Mexico

Comments

• bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options
    The answer probably depends on your need. If XL is enough for your "normal" cooks, it's probably better to sell the "L" and get a Mini-Max instead due to mobility. But if your day to day cooks need more space, it makes sense to keep the L and buy extra :D

For me, I have a large, small and mini. I used the small and mini for mobility. While I'm thinking of selling the small (because it's easier to move around the mini), I'd definitely keep the mini. I can't tell you how many times I've brought the mini along for camping, picnic, beach and other events (going to a a family/in law, relatives or friend's house for BBQ).

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options
    Also, I heard mini-max is not coming out till next year - 2015 (don't know how true that rumor is).

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Keep the L, buy a Smokey Joe ($30) for tailgaiting. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Options
    I would keep the L. I know that when you do take it camping you have to worry about it breaking, having charcoal, getting stolen, and a whole bunch of other headaches that I rather just stick it out for the total of 10ish days that I go camping every year. I rather have the options at home and have it be more practical.
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Well, the way I see it, the large has nothing to do with your original plan. Get the mini-max if you want to (who knows when it will be available), maybe get a Smokey Joe or Jumbo Joe to tide you over in the meantime. The large was a surprise return, and thus should not count in the equation, and should definitely not be given up! I'm a hoarder at heart, so cant bear the thought of downsizing :D

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Ktim
    Ktim Posts: 364
    Options
    Never sell an egg unless you are desperate for money.There is a use for every one. And the one with the most at the end,WINS. \m/
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I don't get the trick part.

Sell the L and get the one you want.
    Options
    Can't tell what to do with large but get the mini max.I have a mini and love it.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Sell the XL, get a second L and the Mini-Max
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options

resell on eggs are not enough..  save it for your kids.  use it until then when you need two eggs.

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Depends on the market.  The resell value here is outrageous.  I'm outraged.  It's all supply and demand.  If you have a market where the new prices are high (far away from Atlanta or in the sticks), you may have very few hit craigslist (that's the case here).  They go fast above, IMO, their worth.
    Options
    The large has really thrown a kink in your plan. Send me your address and I will remove that part of the equation for you. Always willing to help. 
    Hendersonville, TN.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    Buy a small and skip the MiniMax
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Since the mini-max isn't coming out for a while, I think I would just set up the large and start using it.  Like others suggested- you can get a smokey joe ($30) or Jumbo Joe ($60) for your immediate portable needs.   When the mini-max is available then you can decide.  I don't think the value of the large you have will change much if you use it the next 6 months or so (or however long it takes for the MM to come out).  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    I think I'd keep the large. You already have the accessories for it and who knows what accessories will fit the mini max. I've heard the small accessories will fit but until it comes out you never know.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options

Keep all of your Big Green Eggs if you can, and when you're able, ADD to the collection.  An Egger can never have enough EGGS!  It's an Egg thing and non-eggers wouldn't understand!

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Just my opinion but I vote for keep the large. I have a large green egg and a kamado joe jr. and if I were forced to give one up it would be the smaller one without question or hesitation. Nothing to do with the brand as I think quality is the same between the two. The large just covers far more cooking options than the lesser sizes. If you plan on moving your cooker a lot I think there are better choices than the ceramics due to their fragile nature. Not saying you can't move them because you certainly can. I just don't like taking chances with my ceramic cookers. They hold a kind of special place with me. For mobility and portability I would recommend any of the small inexpensive kettles from Walmart. Or even the lodge sportsman grill. It's a fine little cooker by any measure. Again I would keep the large because there is nothing wrong with having to much room but having to little room can be a real problem. At the end of the day the decision is yours to make as only you know your cooking needs and situation. But just remember you already own one of the most useful and sought after cookers on the market. The Large Big Green Egg. Why would you want to trade down? Keep the large and buy a cheap kettle or keep saving money and get a minimax to compliment your large and xlarge when they hit the market next year. Just my thoughts my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Keep the L, buy a Smokey Joe ($30) for tailgaiting. 

I have been looking at a Jumbo Joe locally. It is $25 at a returns store
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    SGH said:
    Just my opinion but I vote for keep the large. I have a large green egg and a kamado joe jr. and if I were forced to give one up it would be the smaller one without question or hesitation. Nothing to do with the brand as I think quality is the same between the two. The large just covers far more cooking options than the lesser sizes. If you plan on moving your cooker a lot I think there are better choices than the ceramics due to their fragile nature. Not saying you can't move them because you certainly can. I just don't like taking chances with my ceramic cookers. They hold a kind of special place with me. For mobility and portability I would recommend any of the small inexpensive kettles from Walmart. Or even the lodge sportsman grill. It's a fine little cooker by any measure. Again I would keep the large because there is nothing wrong with having to much room but having to little room can be a real problem. At the end of the day the decision is yours to make as only you know your cooking needs and situation. But just remember you already own one of the most useful and sought after cookers on the market. The Large Big Green Egg. Why would you want to trade down? Keep the large and buy a cheap kettle or keep saving money and get a minimax to compliment your large and xlarge when they hit the market next year. Just my thoughts my friend.
    You mean in lieu of selling the XL?  I got the impression he was keeping the XL.
    Options
    I would keep the large and the xlarge. I would not sale either to buy a smaller unit. That's just me.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Egglegal_Alien
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Sell the XL, get a second L and the Mini-Max
    But @Mickey , what would happen to Willbur's pals then?!

• grill4us
    grill4us Posts: 100
    Options
    Wow - You are so lucky to have such a dilemma!!  If I were you, I would keep the large.  The large egg has value in its own right and will complement, if not replace (on some cooks), your XL.  It is an added bonus.  You were going to spend the money on the mini-max before the large egg came into your life, so still spend the money to get one.  
  • Egglegal_Alien
    Options
    SGH said:
    You mean in lieu of selling the XL?  I got the impression he was keeping the XL.
    Yup... I'm keeping the XL... Wilbur's pals you know? hehe.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I refuse to be part of this twisted decision. :))
    Besides why would you sell your LBGE for something you can't have yet. Besides the LG has now and will probably continue to have most readily available parts and accessories both OEM & aftermarket. Just my .02
    Nine Inch Nails - Something I Can Never Have 720p…: http://youtu.be/hCgn18xDYVY
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • nolaegghead
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Yeah yeah yeah....but we have different needs than the OP.  If the XL does all the big cooks, let that large get a home somewhere where it will be used and loved.  Sure, if it was me, I would want to keep 'em all.  But that's not the question, given the poster's needs, looks like he's got a good plan.  Cobwebs on an egg...horrifying.

9" nails.  Hurt.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt1Pwfnh5pc&feature=kp
    @nolaegghead I ran into this cover of Johnny Cash's arrangement of "Hurt" you might like:

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Not bad but, kinda prefer Johnny Fing Cash and Trent Reznor. So did Mr. Rogers :))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • grill4us
    grill4us Posts: 100
    Options
    What's with Mr. Rodgers?  Now I know why I never watched him!  

Seriously, Jimmy Cash's cover of Hurt rules - it is haunting.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Who is "Jimmy" Cash? That is Runaground doing this "cover" of Hurt.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Egglegal_Alien
    Egglegal_Alien Posts: 113
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Seems my original topic has kind of derailed, and I actually am at least partly to blame, hehe... any more thoughts regarding my current conundrum?