Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Charleston SC : advice

keepervodeflame
keepervodeflame Posts: 353
edited May 2014 in EggHead Forum
For several years my wife and I have been meeting a couple (old friends) in a different city (that we have not been too) each year. We usually go 1st class for 5 days. The trip always focuses on walking the down town city, great restaurants, great hotels, local interest (museums, baseball games, art museums, etc). So far we have been to Boston, Seattle, Portland Oregon, Montreal / Quebec City, Washington DC, Austin Texas, Santa fe and Taos NM. Charleston SC looks interesting, would those of you who know it, say that it would fit into the category of cities we are looking for?

Comments

• NitsujNella
    NitsujNella Posts: 44
    edited May 2014

Yep, very historical (if you're into that).  Lots of great architecture as well.  Plenty of awesome places to eat downtown in the historical part.  You've got the USS Yorktown to visit as well as the aquarium and tons of museums.  If you're into breweries, there's a couple there as well.  New South and Coast Brewing Company. 

If I was going to stay for 5 days, I would definitely try and stay downtown and not in one of the outer areas.  I live about 2hrs away from Charleston.  If you have questions, feel free to ask away!

• stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    edited May 2014

Charleston is great,, a great Foodie town.  5 days may be too much..   Depends on your attention span.. would be a great combination with Savannah. 

some nice beaches north of town..

fort sumpter

there was a thread recently here for restaurants in  Charleston.  do a search.

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• jeroldharter
    jeroldharter Posts: 556
    Eat the tasting menu at McCrady's. 3 days is enough unless you want some kick back time. 
  • Griff2w2
    Griff2w2 Posts: 53
    My wife and I love Charleston! If you get tge chance, do the ghost tour by tgr pineapple fountain amd check out firefly distillery. We had a blast with all the great eats and every there was to do. We are going back this August!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    3 days to fool around South of Broad is enough. Spend the rest of the time on the Beach. Isle of Palms is one of my faves(biased, I lived there) and Kiawah second. Kiawah is a haul unless you are staying there.

The Mills House and Harbor View are both very nice places.

Here is the link from the recent Charleston thread
  • CP92
    CP92 Posts: 317
    I'd weigh-in but I could only give you the perspective of a 20 something year old Sailor that lived on a ship while he was there for three years. So, if you're looking for tips on which bar to find....wait this is a family friendly site isn't it. And it was over 20 years ago so probably not relevant any longer as it is.

I did love my time there and hope to get back for a visit again one day.
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • THE DRU
    THE DRU Posts: 63
    Places we like to eat are: Husk, Butcher & Bee, Snob( Slightly North of Broad), Home Team BBQ, High Cotton, Pearlz(happy hour), 82 Queen. This is just a few of the many great places. Go for it, you won't be disappointed.

Versailles, KY

XL, Lg, MM, Performer, Q

• TarHeelBBQ
    TarHeelBBQ Posts: 317
    It's fantastic. You wont be dissapointed
  • krobertsmsn
    krobertsmsn Posts: 655
    I'm currently 1/2 way in my Charleston, Beaufort, Hilton Head and Savannah trip. You will only need 24-48 hrs max in Charleston. I rec you make the drive to Savannah. A lot of interesting historical/beautiful areas. The food is good here also. Would only need 48 hrs here as well.
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    @krobertsmsn when will you been in hilton head beaufort?
    Beaufort, SC
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Headed there this weekend. Husk and Poogan's Porch will be 2 of our stops. Nice city...reminds me of New Orleans a bit....tad cleaner and smaller.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    4Runner said:
    Headed there this weekend. Husk and Poogan's Porch will be 2 of our stops. Nice city...reminds me of New Orleans a bit....tad cleaner and smaller.
    hahah doesn't say much any city is cleaner than NOLA.
    @plumfir01 I was in HH Monday. I ate at the Sea Shack. It was great!
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • plumbfir01
    edited May 2014
    Ahhh, my neck of the woods
    Beaufort, SC
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    If you go to HHI, try Roast Fish and Cornbread. There might be a wait, but it is worth it!
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Rick1
    Rick1 Posts: 81
    Baseball - Charleston Riverdogs 'A' team of Yankees. Ballpark is newer and on the bay. They had bbq booth in left field but didn't give it a try.
  • TarHeelBBQ
    TarHeelBBQ Posts: 317
    Halls Chop House is the best down there
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    Skip Charleston and make the couple hour drive to Savannah GA... I did both on the same trip and Charleston was completely eclipsed by Savannah
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414

Skip Charleston and make the couple hour drive to Savannah GA... I did both on the same trip and Charleston was completely eclipsed by Savannah

Disagree. Do both, but Charleston has better shopping and a much nicer waterfront.
  • NitsujNella
    NitsujNella Posts: 44
    Disagree. Do both, but Charleston has better shopping and a much nicer waterfront.
    2nd what @Eggclesior said...been to both Charleston and Savannah..like Charleston a ton better.  better shopping, better downtown restaurants and awesome waterfront.
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    A couple of other food suggestions are FIG and The Ordinary. Great fried chicken at Jestine's Kitchen. Also, Pearlz oyster bar is really good. As others have said, Savannah is a great place to check out, maybe stopping at Beaufort along the way. Also, Brookgreen Gardens is a couple of hours away which is a sculpture park and wildlife sanctuary.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    2nd what @Eggclesior said...been to both Charleston and Savannah..like Charleston a ton better.  better shopping, better downtown restaurants and awesome waterfront.
    I'll add a 3rd to this - my wife and I did the Charleston and Savannah run on our honeymoon.  We've been back to Charleston twice and Savannah not at all.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• plumbfir01
    I live between chucktown and sav and I'll drive to charleston (1.5hrs) before I do savannah (45min) usually.
    It's cleaner, more to offer and feels more inviting.
    Beaufort, SC
  • 4Runner
    4Runner said:
    hahah doesn't say much any city is cleaner than NOLA.
    No offense intended.  We loved NOLA.  Had a great time.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
  • 4Runner
    Boo Hiss!!!!
  • JohnMc
    JohnMc Posts: 76
    Do yourself a favor, blow the budget, and stay at the Wentworth Mansion and eat in their restaurant...an awesome treat. Drinks on the roof cupola at sunset. We also enjoyed Hank's for seafood.
  • jtmiles08
    jtmiles08 Posts: 22
    Mooses Famius BBQ, used to be in Monck's Corner but now in Summerville I presume (115 E 5 St N, Summerville, SC) absolutely loved this place during my time at NNPTC!! And if you get a chance go see the Angel Oak Tree outside of Charleston.
    Magnolia, Tx. --- Go Navy! --- Undercrown Robusto --- Gurkha Ancient Warrior --- Acid Cold Infusion --- Liga Privada No. 9
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    JohnMc said:
    Do yourself a favor, blow the budget, and stay at the Wentworth Mansion and eat in their restaurant...an awesome treat. Drinks on the roof cupola at sunset. We also enjoyed Hank's for seafood.
    Hank's doesn't get the press some others do but it is great and a lot of locals are regulars there. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Rocket15
    Rocket15 Posts: 42
    My wife and I went to college there, were married there, just vacationed there last month, and are planning to retire there.  I can't add much to the suggestions already given t:  Go to Charleston!
  • BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    I live between chucktown and sav and I'll drive to charleston (1.5hrs) before I do savannah (45min) usually. It's cleaner, more to offer and feels more inviting.
    @plumbfir01‌ Are you in the Beaufort area?
    Clarendon Hills, IL