Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ceramic Grill Store Woo vs Adjustable Rig - Please Help!

Options

Hey Guys<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I have been doing some research on the options over at the Ceramic Grill store and I am confused. I have had the egg for about a year, but struggle sometimes with the terminology, and am hoping someone here can help me out.

I already have the plate setter. What I am looking to accomplish is a few things. I would like to expand the cooking space by cooking on multiple levels, I would like to cook on a raised grid to do cook direct but not burn my chicken wings, and I would like to have the option to cook low by the coals to get a nice sear on my steak. In looking at the products available on their website, I am not sure what I need to accomplish these goals. It seems like the adjustable rig combo comes with a stone that would in fact do the same thing as the plate setter, but I don’t need that option as I already have one. Is the adjustable rig compatible with the plate setter, and the basic rig have the functionality to do all the three things I am looking for and work with the plate setter for indirect? What about the Woo? It seems like the Woo is compatible with the plate setter, but not sure it gives me all three of the things I am looking for.

I apologize if this is a stupid basic question, I have tried to research the website and past threads here to answer my question, but can’t seem to figure it out. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Matt

Comments

• EGGerAllanPoe
    EGGerAllanPoe Posts: 52
    edited May 2014
    Options
    I have the woo and a plate setter and it works great for my set up. However I don't have the need for multiple cooking levels.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."

RTR
  • Bushmat1
    Bushmat1 Posts: 9
    Options
    Right - I was a typical new egg owner and knew nothing else for indirect except the plate setter when I purchsed. Hindisight is 20/20. But agree with you I would rather not disregard now that I have paid for it.  
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options

I think the woo and the spider give you two out of three.  But you can easily get multiple levels with another grid and some bolts, or bricks, or I have even used rocks..

I would highly suggest calling the Ceramic Grill Store.  He will listen to your wants and recommend a perfect solution without over selling. 

I would love the adjustable rig, but I have enough accessories to accomplish all three that I have not justified the purchase yet...

Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    If I'm not mistaken, the PS Woo (platesetter woo) sits the platesetter in the woo and you can lift the whole thing out by the two handles. Correct me if I'm wrong, someone. You put the grid right on the top of the woo.
    Judy in San Diego
  • keepervodeflame
    Options
    I really don't know anything about the Woo. However, I can address the AR. I actually have a unique AR, the  Vision AR Spider combo which has the spider welded to the bottom of the AR so the entire thing including the stone can placed into and lifted out of the egg. By the way the Vision AR Spider combo fits the large BGE perfectly. With a spider and multiple cooking levels, I don't see how any thing could be better. But then again, just my two cents. 
  • Jaime_Doug
    Jaime_Doug Posts: 57
    Options
    This is my first response on here, but hubby (Doug) and I had this same issue when we first got our LBGE. I actually called the ceramic grill store & spoke to Tom there, he was very helpful and personable. I'd give him a call. Tell him what you want to do with your egg & I bet he can & would be able to help. Jaime
    Doug/Jaime in Tucker, GA   Could almost walk to BGE Mothership  LBGE
  • HawkeyeEgghead
    HawkeyeEgghead Posts: 88
    edited May 2014
    Options
    I have both units.  The woo was first followed by adjustable rig recently.  I really like my woo with the two handles to simply lift the plate setter and grid out for adding wood or more coal.  The BGE grate does fit over the handles.  The Woo provides a better set up for pizza for me.  I'm warming to the adjustable rig as I want to cook full racks of ribs flat.  You lose a bit of grid space but gain more total surface area.  To do it over again, I'd buy the rig for the optimal flexibility but frankly enjoy owning both.
  • Bushmat1
    Options
    What a great community. I really appreciate all the responses for this newbie. All extremely helpful info. Cheers guys and girls!
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options

@Bushmat1 - you haven't said what size egg you have.  The options are different between the large and the XL.  I have the both the XL Woo 2 and the XL AR.  Both offer a lot of flexibility.  I probably use the Woo2 more than the AR.  It's an easy way to get the grid up to the felt line.  When you want to go higher, or multiple levels, that's where the AR shines.  I really get a lot of use out of the lower ring on the Woo2 it is perfect for reverse sear on steaks, and for placing the ceramic piece for indirect cooks.  I originally though I could use the Woo2 with the AR.  Tom at CGS discourages that - it isn't the most stable setup, unless you put the SS 24" grid on the Woo, and then the AR on that.  That's the setup I used on my Turbo Ribs for Mothers day.  I'm thinking about going back to the well to pick up the XL Spider for even more versatility.  After all, you can never have too much BBQ stuff.  And it's only $25...

I also have a plate setter that came as part of the XL package.  After getting the 17.5" Ceramic stone from CGS, I haven't used the plate setter.  Duplication?  Maybe, but to me, the CGS stone is much more versatile.  And heck, it was only $50...

Maybe you can see where this is going.  I've got such an incredibly versatile rig, but I can't afford to buy anything to cook on it.  I think we should all start to lobby for the ACA - Affordable Cooking Act. 

Santa Paula, CA
  • grill4us
    grill4us Posts: 100
    Options
    I just purchased the AR with the extender.  I went that route because I didn't have the platesetter.  I would definitely call Tom.  He is great.  He'll ask YOU questions about what you want to cook and he'll direct you as to exactly what to buy.  It is confusing - I had to call him twice - but once I received everything, it made perfect sense.  Tell him what you've got and want to continue to use and see if he can hook you up.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    If you haven't already found the CGS narrative site (not the shopping site), you should as you'll find a bunch of info on how to use their products, tons of pics, and other informative info that might help you with your decision. For example: http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/adjustable-rig-vs-woo2-moreinfomenu.html
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited May 2014
    Options
    @Bushmat1‌
    First let me say I have and use both. They are both great pieces of equipment. As of late I find myself using the Woo more than than the AR. Not saying it's better but it suites my style of cooking more often than not. Let me explain. I'm a collect the juices type of guy. I found some 16 inch 2 inch deep pans that are excellent for this purpose. They sit perfect on the plate setter below the grid and will hold about two gallons of liquid. Also the 16 inch pan gives you all the indirect coverage that you can get in a large egg without suffocating the fire. Removing the pan full of liquid is a snap with the handles on the Woo. Spillage is nonexistent due to the plate setter providing full support of the pan. You can't go wrong with either but if you already have a plate setter the Woo would make more sense. Mine started off as a Woo 3 but I removed the bottom ring thus turning it into a Woo 2. I find the spider to be more beneficial than the bottom ring on the Woo. Again this is just my thoughts and I hope this helps my friend. Oh another thing that I like better about the Woo is it will hold the full size grid at gasket level. The AR will not. If you want to use the full size grid on the AR you must us it at the very highest point and then you start running into head room issues with the large subprimals and large whole poultry. Just some food for thought depending on how and what you like to cook my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    Not sure why but two of the pics wouldn't post but you get the idea from the ones that did.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    edited May 2014
    Options
    There they go.

Status- Standing by.

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited May 2014
    Options
    I was looking at my woo 3 the other day. Can't I cut off the bottom and that's basically a 3 leg spider? Does it work?
    I like the pan idea, need to track one down.
    Seattle, WA
  • SGH
    Options
    The legs will require bending outward a little and will be a hair shorter than a factory spider but yes it will work if you are careful to cut it close to the main frame of the Woo.

Status- Standing by.

• Bushmat1
    edited May 2014
    Options

Thanks a lot guys. Tons of great info. I am going to give him a call today as suggested to see what his thoughts are too. I have never collected the juices before and that is something I am interested in doing.

Oh, and I have the large.  

• SkinnyV
    Options
    What did you find out? When will the grids be back in stock (oval)
    I almost pulled the trigger twice as an impulse buy, extender was sold out for a while now the grids are.

Seattle, WA
  • SidZer0
    SidZer0 Posts: 45
    Options
    Question for Woo owners. Can you place the Woo on top of the plate setter (legs down) to get an even more elevated cooking surface?
    Jax, FL
  • SGH
    Options
    No sir. You can not.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @SidZer0‌
    The dome will not close my friend.imageimage

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Not sure why that posted like that. The forum is showing its tail again today.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    However you can put spacers under the woo to elevate it to the height that you want.

Status- Standing by.

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    You could always add a 'grill' extended to give you the added elevation you need. 
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • SkinnyV
    Options
    Woo with extender
    Seattle, WA
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    That's exactly what I'm talking about!
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Options
    @tksmoke
    Hate to ambush someone elses thread but noticed you have an XL and a Woo2.  Will the BGE platesetter fit in the Woo2 as it does in the Woo for the large?  I have BGE pizza stones I could use for indirect if it will not fit, but  hoped the PS would still work.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    thanks to all for helping out.  I appreciate ya'll taking the time to answer questions on CGS's behalf.   We are out of pocket the next couple days, daughter graduating Univ. of Texas.  So, if you call, leave a message and we'll get back to you next week.

tom
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Bushmat1
    edited May 2014
    Options
    @skinnyv I called and talked to the woman there and she was as helpful as you all said she would be. I think I am going to go with the r&b combo and add an extender and oval grid. She said that they should get more oval grids in next week so I am going to wait to order until then. With that, I am going to try and sell my plate setter as this set up won't accommodate and will have no need for it. I am planning on calling one more time next week to talk about my final decision as I have reserched a Ton since speaking with her so will be better equipt with specific questions. One of the unanswered questions I have left is ,if I am more prone to do a big cook with pork butts, does the customer combo make more sense? Its seems to be the preferred setup for this type of cook (per a Q&A from their website) but I don't fully understand why. My best guess is to that combo has a spider included and the two racks holding the meat can have more separation to accommodate the thicker cuts of meat? I really like the idea of the oval grid and oval stone combo for ribs/brisket though, and the sliding capabilities that that package gives you. I tend to get obsessive with cooking purchases, and am even considering adding a spider and 13 inch stone to my initial thoughts to accomplish both big rib/brisket combo and big pork butt combo, if the R&B can't do that. Lastly, I wanted to ask if my BGE pizza stone can fit into the setup at all as a deflector. I know it is a no go for the spider, but was wondering if it would have a place anywhere else. I'm guessing no. I can't wait to place my order and try this stuff out!

• SGH
    Options
    @Bushmat1
    As long as your stone does not exceed 16 1/2 inches it will work fine. The pan in the photo measures exactly 16 1/2 and as you can see sits perfect inside of the adjustable rig.imageimage

Status- Standing by.