Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First rib cook and impressions from a new owner

Options
kthacher
kthacher Posts: 155
edited May 2014 in EggHead Forum
My overall comment, is why did I take so long?  I have owned a large for about a month now.  Yesterday was my first extended cook.  Fired up the egg in the morning and put on some beans, with some hickory chunks. They were on for about 3.5 hours and then I put them on the Weber for almost another 4.  Beans were indirect, legs-down on the plate setter.  When it was time for the ribs, I removed everything, took a look at the fire, removed the small piece of hickory that was left, and added two cherry chunks.  Plate setter now legs up with a drip pan.   I used the rib recipe from Wicked Good BBQ.  There was a thread on that recipe, from a while back.  The steps are:
  1. Apply rub 
  2. Meat side down for 2 hours at 250-275
  3. Meat side up for 1 hour 
  4. Apply brown sugar and agave nectar to tin foil.  Meat side down.
  5. Apply same to top, along with a marinade sauce and onion powder
  6. Wrap and cook for another hour, still at same 250-275 temp in my case
  7. Unwrap, apply a BBQ sauce that the recipe tells you how to make, together with a sprinkling of the rub.  Do this to both sides.
  8. Wait half an hour, unwrap, cut into individual pieces and serve.
A few things I noticed:
  1. Ran out of smoke after about two hours.  I did not replenish because I was concerned with over smoking. 
  2. Indirect on the egg is better than on my six burner Weber.  On the Weber, with three rib racks, at least one of them has to be close enough to the flame to worry about overcooking and burning it.  You need to be on guard and shift positions.  No such issue on the Egg.  Indirect could not be easier.
  3. One of the reasons I moved away from charcoal years ago, was the briquets suddenly dying.  Having the ability to run for all these hours on a single batch of lump adds so much to the ease of use.  
  4. Temperature control.  I just work the vents.  No automation so far.  I was really pleased with how easy it was to keep the temperature rock solid stable.  
  5. The last three points above combine to create a much more relaxing and enjoyable cooking experience than anything else I have cooked on outdoors.  With every other piece of gear, I feel I was always fighting some form of battle.  I was used to it with the Weber, but had not anticipated how the qualities of the Egg would transform the experience to be so relaxing and fun.
I have posted a couple of pics below.  I think the ribs came off a tad early, since they were not shrinking to expose bone much yet.  On the other hand, the end product tasted amazing.  The smoke flavour was there, and a little subtle, but not so much that I would add much more smoke the next time.  

One more thing - this forum is a great resource.
Winnipeg, Canada

Comments