Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any advice for transporting 2 large's and 1 nest from eggfest???

awm
awm Posts: 181
Prob going to take the wife's Honda Pilot since its better on gas than my gas guzzling 2500. I'll be bringing back 2 larges and 1 nest and just not sure how I'm goin to secure them considering there not going to be in boxes. Last thing I need is 1 tipping over into the other esp. considering niether one is mine. Anyone has any tips that may be useful on securing them?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Nothing on the transport side but make sure the lump is removed (if demo BGE's) before you load them up.  Have heard stories of a demo BGE deciding to self-light during the home road trip.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Found this on here a while back. Will be doing this as well this weekend in Hiawassee!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• busmania
    busmania Posts: 414
    the back seat should have hooks for child safety seats.  Put some cardboard down and treat them like a baby!  I would tie them down using these child seat hooks.  Or just put them in the cargo area with cardboard between the two and tie them down.
  • wallyjar
    wallyjar Posts: 123
    I brought medium back in my backseat(sedan) used seatbelt to strap in and drove sensib ly for 350 miles.

No problem!

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    If your Pilot has a tow hitch, I'd rent a small trailer.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • ShadowNick
    ShadowNick Posts: 533
    +1 on just tying them down on the back seat
    Pentwater, MI
  • awm
    awm Posts: 181
    Thanks for all of the advise.. The wife is now saying she has alot to do Sat and dont wanna have to drive my truck all day, so I guess they'll be riding in the bed of my truck.. It will prob be easier to secure them in the bed anyways. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Take towels(that you don't care about) or get lots of cardboard to line the interior parts and the dome/lid if you are traveling far at higher speeds.
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    The Pilot would be the best of the two options you have.  Snugging them up tight is the key.  Buy a few bags of lump and pack them in so they can't move.  The large open bed of the pick-up is a problem as it will need to now be strapped down with the bigger cargo area.  Good luck.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• You're talking about a couple of grand worth of awesome cooking devices there. IMHO if you had to use your truck I would bring some plywood and 2x4's a box of screws and a screw gun w two charged batteries and screw up a custom fit divider in the bed of the truck with just a little room to put cardboard between the base and domes and room to wrap up each egg with a sleeping bag or maybe rented movers mats inside the divide compartments. I think the key would be to obviously cushion, strap down and compartmentalize these things to limit movement. The pilot would be easier as stated above but either way I would stock up on old blankets or mover mats. Low cost for a great investment. I'm sure you knew all this I'm just kinda thinking out loud...Good Luck!!!!

LBGE, Weber One touch 26.75, an old gasser, firepit and more gadgets than ten people need

Livonia N.Y. (the vampire state)

• CAT Seller
    CAT Seller Posts: 208
    Do it right. Forget the Honda and put them in the 2500 and be done with it just like bigdaddydivo said.
    If it ain't a CAT, it's a dog!!! 2 LBGE's & BGE Backyard Chef Edition Cart