Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock Chicken - skin not crispy

Options
Meinbmw
Meinbmw Posts: 157
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've made Spatchcock Chicken a couple of times based on the Naked Whiz's recipe ... I usually spatchcock the bird and let it sit in the refrigerator for an hour or so in an attempt to dry out the skin (some say this helps w/ a crispy skin?), then slather it with rosemary butter and cook it at 350 dome for 60-75 minutes depending on the size of the bird. It has always turned out very moist and flavorful, but how can I get the skin to crisp up nice so that it STICKS TO THE MEAT and gives you a nice crunch in your mouth?[p]The way I have cooked it as described above, the skin just kind of slides off the meat ... while very healthy, sometimes I prefer to eat my chicken skin on.[p]Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    meinbmw,
    Are you getting the bird skin down at all?? I find it helps to get the bird skin down at the halfway point. Render some of the fat and flip it back skin up once you get the color and blistering that helps crunch it up. Have you been cooking direct?
    Hope it helps. Happy Monday toya.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Essex County
    Options
    meinbmw,[p]Ditto to what Chris suggested below. Direct cook. I usually flip from skin side up to skin side down about 2/3 of the way through the cook. Then I flip it back again for about the last 10 minutes. This seems to work pretty well for me. The challenge is trying to keep the bird from falling apart for the last flip![p]Paul

• Meinbmw
    Options
    Nature Boy, No, I have not been flipping skin down but will try that next time .... I am cooking direct on raised grid.[p]Thanks!

• Nature Boy
    Options
    meinbmw,
    Give it a go and see how it works ferya. It makes a big difference. You'll see a fair of smoke from the fat, but you gotta render summadat stuff out. You might also try air drying overnight in the fridge. You might also try sans the butter and see what happens.
    Happy cookin!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    What do you think about having him check to be sure his cooker is adequately preheated (more radiant heat from above) and perhaps kicking it up to 400 degrees?[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    Great points on preheating the cooker. I usually do that anyway...get it roaring hot, then tone it down for my cook. As you elude to, there is a big difference between a 400 direct fire in a cold cooker, and an established 400 direct fire.[p]Even so, I still think it renders better with the skin down. 400 seems purty hot for a direct cook of a whole chicken though....but not really done it. I get good color and skin rendering at 300 when going direct. [p]Chicken for thought! Cheers man!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Meinbmw
    Options
    The Naked Whiz, Egg was very well stablilized - 35 minutes or so. Dome was nice and toasty and idling at 350 on the dot.

• billyg
    billyg Posts: 315
    Options
    I cook mine direct on the regular grill (not raised) @ 350 or a touch more. Before you start spread some apricot or peach preserves over the skin (thank to dr bbq rock cornish hen recipe) No need to turn it over and it will have real nice color and crispness.
    billyg