Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CyberQ WiFi Port Forwarding Question

I really like the CyberQ, and didn't find the setup to be overwhelming.  It works fine in the infrastructure mode.  I've never been able to figure out the port forwarding piece though.  Since I just installed the updated firmware, I thought I'd take another look at it.  I haven't gotten any smarter.  I have a Motorola Surfboard SBG6580 Surfboard Cable Modem Gateway, and for the life of me cannot figure out how to do port forwarding.  The router setup page doesn't seem to have a setting for port forwarding.  It does have Virtual Servers, but I don't think it's the same thing.  Maybe it doesn't do port forwarding.  Any ideas?  Thanks!!

Santa Paula, CA

Comments

• TheShaytoon
    TheShaytoon Posts: 420
    @tksmoke , Is that the modem from Time Warner Cable?

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
    Dallas, TX

• TheShaytoon
    I had that modem before I got the U-Verse.  

click this linky for some instructions.

Dallas, TX

• jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    System administration and networking with the BGE. Not right. ;)
    Kemah, TX
  • TheShaytoon
    Having to wake up in the middle of the night to check the egg is Not Right in my opinion.   :))

Dallas, TX

• tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776

@TheShaytoon - it may be the one from TWC, but not sure - I think I may have bought it a couple years ago when TWC was going to start charging  a rental fee.  Anyhow, I appreciate your response - my menu does not look like the link you sent - it does not have Forwarding as an option.  It does have Virtual Servers, but I'm quite sure that's very different.

@Jllbms - I hear you and agree!!  However, the CyberQ is a great product, and an excellent blending of technology and art.

Santa Paula, CA
  • BREWnQ
    BREWnQ Posts: 219
    My buddy had a Motorola Surfboard and asked me to help with his wireless cameras and other things. I couldn't figure that thing out at all. Ended up disabling wireless and routing on it and went with a $50 Netgear. Good Luck.
    Brewer, BBQer, Softballer, RCer, Father, HomeTheaterer, and trouble maker.
    Orange, CA
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Virtual servers=Port forwarding.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • tksmoke

I may need to start looking for a new cable modem.  I have a separate modern wireless router.  The port forwarding thing is not a big issue for me.  I just thought it would be nice to keep tabs if I go for a walk or sumpin.

Santa Paula, CA
  • DMW
    If you have a separate router you want to put the modem in "bridge" mode. This will allow your router WAN interface to obtain a public IP address. Right now with your modem in "router" mode your router's WAN interface is getting a private IP from your modem. You are double NATing. You would need to port forward from your modem to your router, and then again from your router to the CyberQ. Set the modem to bridge mode and it gets out of the way.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • tksmoke
    @DMW - it doesn't seem to give me an option for the public IP address
    Santa Paula, CA
  • DMW
    Google for your modem make and model and bridge mode. I'm sure someone out there has figures it out. Though depending on your provider and how they have things setup you may need to call them and request that the modem be set to bridge mode. After they make the change your modem will reboot and then you need to renew the lease on the WAN interface of your router, or just reboot it. Then you only need to deal with port forwarding/virtual server setup on the router.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• BREWnQ
    BREWnQ Posts: 219
    Ah yes @DMW I did have to call the ISP and ask them to set it to bridge mode.
    Brewer, BBQer, Softballer, RCer, Father, HomeTheaterer, and trouble maker.
    Orange, CA
  • DMW
    @BREWnQ‌ Yep, TR-069 at its finest.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• tksmoke
    Actually, I'm learnin me some stuff here.  I actually got up and checked the model of the modem, and it's an SB5101, which is not a router at all!!  Thas what I get for keeping old manuals lying around.  Apparently, I replaced the 6580 with the 5101 and a Belkin AC-1200 dual band router.  So now it's off to Belkin to see ifn I can figger it out.
    Santa Paula, CA
  • tksmoke
    Uh oh - please tell me it isn't this easy!!  I'll give it a try now...
    Santa Paula, CA
  • tksmoke

OK - it really was too easy!!  It works perfectly, even from the mobile phone connection.

Sometimes you just need to talk a problem through to find the solution.  Thanks to all for your assistance.  That's a great benefit to this forum - lots of expertise over a wide range of subjects.

Thanks again!!!

Santa Paula, CA
  • DMW
    @tksmoke Glad to hear you got it going.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• tksmoke
    There were so many clues - at least it was a Motorola SurfBoard modem or I would have felt really dumb,  When I logged into my router, the software was Belkin - I wondered about that, but with all the mergers and spinoffs who knows anyhow. 
    Santa Paula, CA
  • Griff2w2
    Griff2w2 Posts: 53
    If you haven't done so already, I would also recommend setting up a DHCP reservation for the controller to ease connectivity In the future
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Glad it worked for you. I use dyndns.com to help manage my ever changing IP. Pretty cool how you can pick your own name which makes it easy to connect on the go. Used to be free but now is a very cheap annual fee. :(
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • TheShaytoon
    If you have TWC or Uverse internet and tv, the IP is usually static...you can just forward a domain name to that IP address and achieve the same thing....

Dallas, TX