Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thanks Maverick!

fusionhq
fusionhq Posts: 1,707
The grid probe on my Maverick went out after about two months use..Gave me the EEE screen.  Contacted Maverick, and they were very good about getting me taken care of! Looks like this one has about a 6' cord also, which is nice!!

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Did you protect your prior probe with some sort of heat deflection?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• fusionhq
    I did not...suggestions?
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    I'll have to find a link but someone around here set me in the right direction with some heat shield use for autos. Foil works too
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• fusionhq
    I would think with the probe being made for the grid, it would be able to handle heats up to 350-400, which is the hottest I've used.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Don't think it is just the heat, I think it is moisture getting into the probe cable junction. The egg is a very moist environment. Wrap some HD foil over the junction, maybe 3/4" to 1" on the probe and five or six inches down the cable. Once the foil granges up, replace it. I clean the probe tips with alcohol swabs. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    edited May 2014

Mine bit the dust too (EEE) on a cook on another offset smoker at our cabin close to a year and a half ago.  It was a "turbo" style brisket cook where the temps got around 350*.  I called the company when we got home and they did the same thing, mailed me another probe free of charge. 

I've done many cooks both here and there since with no problems, but always wrap my probes in foil now and also run the wires over a PS leg to avoid direct heat.   

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I always make sure I run the probe wires over a leg of the plate setter. Even though the air temp may be within "safe" range of the probe wires, IR from burning lump could be much higher. I don't use my Mav pit probe on direct cooks at all, and since I got my Thermapen I don't use it at all on direct cooks.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • fusionhq
    Thanks for the tips guys!
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    What does the code LLL mean? I got one of those the other day.
    Dave - Austin, TX