Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mother's Day 13lb Brisket -

Options
GATABITES
GATABITES Posts: 1,260
edited May 2014 in Beef
Well, I decided at the last minute that I wanted another run at a packer. I wasnt satisfied with my last one as it came out a little dry but had decent flavor. I ran to Restaurant Depot after running errands and pick up the thickest flat and point they had and had the most "flexible" feel to the meat. I found a 16lb and 13lb that i liked, i figured bigger = more time so i chose the 13. I got it home and began to trim but didn't trim a as much fat as I usually do. I removed all the gray meat a few sections of hard fat and that was it. I maybe removed 1.5lbs from its original 13lbs, so i was happy. I rubbed it liberally with Dizzy pig - Cow Lick. It doesn't have a whole lot of sugar but pack the peppery flavor the i love. I rubbed the fat cap with kosher salt and pepper although it probably didnt need any rub at all. 

I set the smoker up with hickory and a few peach chunks with Rockwood lump. My temp was 250 to begin with but it fluctuated between 250-300 for parts of the cook. Well, ill let the picks do the rest of the talking as this was the Best Packer i have made to date - I am at satisfied with the finished product.

I did the burnt ends in a cast iron skillet on the egg and they were a KNOCK-OUT!!! Everyone loved them. This is probably the most fun I had since i bought my egg this time a year ago. 
imageimage
XL BGE 
Joe JR 
Baltimore, MD

Comments

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    Nailed it!!!
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    That looks killer! Those ends look awesome.
    NW IOWA
  • BarbecueBuc
    Options
    That looks terrific Gata!

I've only had the Egg for a couple of months and was thinking I'd start out with a small flat when I get ready to do my first one. How long did it take you at 250?

Thanks for the pics and GO BUCS!!
  • Budgeezer
    Budgeezer Posts: 669
    Options
    Nice.
    Edina, MN

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    Most eggcellent cook!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GATABITES
    Options
    @BarbecueBuc‌ - it took about 13hrs. I could have bumped the temp but I wasn't in a rush. It stalled for about 2-3 hours. It smelled so good outside. I had to go for a walk around the neighborhood so I wouldn't keep checking for tenderness.
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • DIAD
    DIAD Posts: 187
    Options
    Nice Job!  Looks really good.  I did one last night as well. 
    Chester, MD
  • GATABITES
    Options
    This is by far my favorite low and slow. I love brisket a little more than pulled pork. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • StillSmoken
    StillSmoken Posts: 327
    Options
    Brisket looks Great! Go Bucs!!
    Kennesaw Ga. XL Egg. Cheers, Kevin
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Great looking cook.  I haven't tried burnt ends yet but got APL's "Serious BBQ" for Christmas so will use his recipe to do them with melting garlic.  Thanks for the post and motivation.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • GATABITES
    edited May 2014
    Options
    @barbecuebuc @stillsmoken - are you both Buc fans? I live in the Baltimore area and the ravens fans give me a hard time, but the Bucs are my home team. 

I was raised just outside the Tampa bay area - I grew up watching the Bucs
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    Nice work!!  Inspirational in fact.  I'm having a hard time finding a packer - for the most part, our local markets carry only very common cuts.  I'm sure the butcher shop could come up with one, but I'm not sure I could afford it.
    Santa Paula, CA
  • GATABITES
    Options
    @diad - how were the results? 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • GATABITES
    Options
    tksmoke said:
    Nice work!!  Inspirational in fact.  I'm having a hard time finding a packer - for the most part, our local markets carry only very common cuts.  I'm sure the butcher shop could come up with one, but I'm not sure I could afford it.
    I think I paid 3.79/lb at restaurant depot. Maybe you can try to order one through your grocery store. It may take a bit but im sure they can order one for you. I think Sam's club sells packer briskets, well at least in certain areas. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    There is a Restaurant Depot about 40 minutes away.  Now I just need to find a way to join.  My business isn't in anyway food related.
    Santa Paula, CA
  • GATABITES
    Options
    @tksmoke - I think all you need is a tax id number. I doesnt have to be a restaurant. I would give them a call to see if you could get one. Its overwhelming at the amount of meat you can get. They have beef short ribs, prime rib roast and what ever else you can think of. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • StillSmoken
    Options
    Yes Sir! I grew up in Temple Terrace in the 80's. Father had season tickets since day one. I live in Atlanta now and all the Falcon fans including my friends hate me.
  • GATABITES
    Options
    @stillsmokin - when I was in college I lived right across the street from the GA dome. My brother I I attended a couple cowgirls games as he is a huge fan. 

Good to know there are a few Buc fans on the forum. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • StillSmoken
    Options
    Best bucs quote ever by John McKay!! What do you think of the execution of your offense ? "I'm all for it!!
  • GATABITES
    Options
    That quote is definitely a classic!! lol 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD