Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Tenderloin (APL recipe) - Looking for Tips

Options
2»

Comments

• SoCal_Griller
    SoCal_Griller Posts: 516
    Options
    Thats true, I still have my PS, so maybe I'll just use that as a heat sink after the sear.  Thanks!
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • SoCal_Griller
    Options
    The beef tenderloin turned out fantastic!  a real crowd pleaser.  As soon as I served it and people started digging in to the meat I just heard compliments.  It was super tender, cut with a fork tender, and flavorful.  Turned out better than I expected, and my expectations from an APL cook are pretty high to begin with.

Here's the setup:

• Spider w/ cast iron grill.
    • AR w/ heat deflector on bottom level, and standard grid on the top.
    • Egg stable @ 300
    • Red Oak for smoke.

I heated some bread and grilled some provolone for apps. (Provoleta)
    Once that was finished, I removed the AR, opened up the bottom vent and seared the tenderloin as the recipe calls for: 2-3 minutes-turn-2-3 Minutes-turn....  <== total of four times (8 - 12 minutes)  Lid Open.

Removed and tented the tenderloin.

I removed the CI grill from the spider ( Careful!  Not sure I would do this again), replaced it with the heat deflector added back the AR .  Closed the bottom vent and the daisy wheel to bring the temp back down to 300, lifting the lid once or twice to let the trapped hot air out.  It took maybe 5 minutes to get it back down to 300.

Once the temp dropped to 300, I put the tenderloin back on to finish, Pulled at 125 Internal. 

Freakin fantastic.

Simi Valley, California
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    The beef tenderloin turned out fantastic!  a real crowd pleaser.  As soon as I served it and people started digging in to the meat I just heard compliments.  It was super tender, cut with a fork tender, and flavorful.  Turned out better than I expected, and my expectations from an APL cook are pretty high to begin with.

Niiice!!!  What I like about this recipe is that it really is so easy.  I'll definitely do it again.  I bet it's always a home run.  

If only beef tenderloin wasn't quite so expensive...
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SoCal_Griller
    Options

Niiice!!!  What I like about this recipe is that it really is so easy.  I'll definitely do it again.  I bet it's always a home run.  

If only beef tenderloin wasn't quite so expensive...
    You are right, it was really pretty easy and now we know why its so expensive.   Thanks for your help!
    Simi Valley, California