Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My ribs are done too early!

Strummer
Strummer Posts: 21
I reached 167° and my Mom won be here for another 3 hours. What should I do to keep them from drying out?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,320
    I have never used temperature as a guide for ribs-insert a toothpick into the thickest rib meat-get no resistance either direction=finished.  And that temp is likely closer to the 190's if measuring-you may have some cook time left on those guys.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Strummer
    edited May 2014
    Cool thanks! I'll give it a shot!
  • lousubcap
    @Strummer-at what calibrated temp did you cook them at and for how long?
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    I'ld foil them if you don't want them to dry out.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• What temp are you cooking at and are the ribs pork?

I would drop the cooking temp to 225 * F and keep cooking until they have a half inch of the ends of the the rib showing.  Foil them with a little moisture ( Honey and vinegar ) Wrap them and leave them on the grill cooking at 225 * F for an hour.  Sauce and return to het for sauce to harden.

How long have you been cooking the ribs?
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks

• Strummer
    They are pork, the egg has been holding steady 300°
  • Strummer
    @lousubcap I put them on at 10am. They look great right now. I thin I may foil them.
  • lousubcap
    Go with the toothpick test and given your temp you could well be at the finish-line.  You can certainly foil and you can do the proverbial FTC (foil, towels and cooler) to hold them til ready to consume.  They will turn out great.
    BTW-welcome aboard and enjoy the journey!
  • Strummer
    It's pretty smooth with the toothpick. I think I'll harvest them and foil them up. Thanks everybody!
  • cajuncook
    cajuncook Posts: 99
    Eat that batch as an appetizer and start another batch for supper.
    Live on beautiful Lake Hartwell GA
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Foil with a little cider vinegar then throw them back on before she gets there.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    eat them and make more :D
    Beaufort, SC
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    eat them and make more :D

agreed. Well done @plumbfir01‌
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• lousubcap
    @Strummer-how did it play out...
  • Strummer
    Thank you everybody for your help. I pulled the ribs off the egg at 1 pm, spritzed them with apple cider vinegar wrapped them in foil and put them in the cooler wrapped in a towel. We didn't eat until 5pm and the ribs were a perfect temp and texture! I need to learn to not stress. But cooking for Mom is always tough because she's a pro! She liked the corn bread and potato salad too! Thanks again for all your help.
  • lousubcap
    Nothing like a home-run when you need it.  Congrats on a most eggcellent result!