Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with salmon?

Options
jls9595
jls9595 Posts: 1,533
I've been doing the low carb thing since Wednesday and am already down 6 pounds! Running out of proteins to cook so I am going to buy some fresh salmon steaks this week. Would sous vide and then a sear on the Egg be the best way to go? Plank it on the egg? What is the preferred method here?  

I had some cheap frozen fillets in the freezer so I'm trying out the sous vide with it. I removed the skin and dusted both sides with raging river rub. Placed in vac bag with lemon juice and butter and into the water at 130*  I think I'll do a quick sear on the CI grid since I have the egg going anyway for corn on the cob. We will see how it goes.  

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
In Manchester, TN
Vol For Life!

Comments

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Options
    I personally like to cook salmon on a cedar plank, 400°, for about 20-30 minutes depending on the size of your fish. Little Steven had a good salmon cook a few days back.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    SV and sear is perfectly acceptable.  I would SV at 120F, but it's like beef steaks, cook the way you like it.  To me, salmon doesn't need anything but salt, pepper and some citrus.  If you want a little cedar smoke, throw some cedar in the fire.  
    Options
    Cedar planked raised direct at 400* today. No wood smoke, just lump. EVOO and lemon pepper for seasoning. The thin pieces about 10 minutes, the real ones about 18 I think.
    imageimage
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    @DMW is there an internal temp that you shoot for?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I usually buy a whole filet, skin on, and cut it into individual 4 oz servings. Vac seal and freeze so I always have it on hand. Heat a CI skillet or griddle over medium high, add a bit of evoo. Season fish with s&p. Once hot, skin side up for a couple of minutes, then flip and leave it skin side down until 125-130°. Add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. Having that tonight in fact. Delicious!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Options
    grege345 said:

@DMW is there an internal temp that you shoot for?

I'm not D, but 140°-145° is a good target IT.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    edited May 2014
    Options

There are lots of great ways to prepare salmon.  I'm all in for easy though.  If you have something with small holes - Williams-Sonoma has one that they call a stainless steel griddle, that's a good way to go.  Use a little EVOO on the grill, and season - either S&P or DP Raging River.  Alder is my preferred wood for adding a little smoke.  Don't over cook - time depends on the thickness of the filet or steak.  For a 1 inch slab, I start with 6 minutes with the skin down (Yes, leave the skin on), add a little butter on top and cook another couple minutes.  Then turn it over for a couple of minutes.  Enjoy!!

Wiley's favorite treat is the cooked salmon skins, and the skin helps hold it all together..

Santa Paula, CA
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I did an easy cedar plank. Raised direct at 400 dome. Dizzy Pig's Raging River. I have made some great glazes but the wife liked this best.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Options
    Thanks guys. The salmon I made tonight turned out great! Probably the best I've ever made. The sous vide makes it easy to get it to the temp I want. I threw it on the egg with some tobasco chips for smoke, which even after a couple minutes imparted a great flavor.  I can't wait to try some "real" fresh salmon this way.  I may go 120* instead of 130* on the sous vide next time though just to see the difference.  

I appreciate all the tips, I'll definitely try it different ways just to see what I like best.  By the way, the corn was cooked with evoo and DP Pineapple Head wrapped in foil on the egg at 400* for 45 min. Superb! I did add a little Swamp Venom after for some heat though. 
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Nice man, I'm salivating.  Take a paper towel and wipe the SV filet down ;)