Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First sear on new Egg

Options
chris11x
chris11x Posts: 5

Just got my Large BGE this weekend.  Ive done a couple of low temp cooks to help preserve the gasket and am hoping to try a sear on a couple of bone in ribeyes tonight.  Looking for some tips on a method to cook these things.

Thanks!

Comments

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Welcome! I'd go reverse sear on those bad boys. Do you have a thermapen? If not, don't buy another accessory until you grab one of those...

Cook the ribeyes indirect at a low temp until they reach 120°-125° internal temp. When they hit that target internal temperature, pull the meat, pull the indirect piece (platesetter or AR stone), and crank the egg up to around 600°-700°. Once the grid is nice and hot, throw the meat back on there for about a minute each side for a quick sear.

Pull, serve, enjoy, and don't forget to post pics!

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Welcome to the sickness! First question would do you have standard grid etc or do you have some accessories (to adjust grid height etc)?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • chris11x
    Options

I have a instant read thermometer.  Is the thermapen that much better? (Ill try anything lol)  I only have the standard grid with the plate setter. 

Thanks guys for the quick response and will def post some pics.

• Chris_Wang
    Options
    Short answer: Yes. Thermapen is that much better and then some.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    With the setup you have I would +1 what @Chris_Wang‌ said in regards to reverse sear. & on the question of Thermapen> it is an affordable tool that allows one to know the temp quickly and accurately (well made product that will give many years of use). If the Thermapen is to much $$$ I would suggest the The ThermoPop (also from ThermoWorks).
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    The Thermapen is fast and accurate.  I have one, love it.  However, most digital instant reads are accurate and you can check (and usually calibrate) most thermometers.  The most important thing you can do to increase the quality of your cooking is use internal food temperature rather than time as a criteria.  Ribs, wings and some other foods, temp doesn't work.
    Options
    The RT600 (you can get it on Amazon) got me through some good cooks while I was "saving up" (aka waiting on a holiday to justify my spending) on a thermapen.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• chris11x
    Options

Well thanks for the tips.  All in all it went ok for my first cook.  Forgot to take an "after" pic tho.  Was amazed how hot this thing gets! 

Only complaint was the flavor of the meat.  Not blaming that on the grill though.

Definitely looking forward to my next cook.  And now I'll start my pork butt research.

Thanks again.

• Chris_Wang
    Options
    Was it there a rancid smoke taste to the meat? What brand lump do you use?

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• chris11x
    Options

Did taste smokier then I'd prefer to have my steak.  Not really sure if I'd consider it rancid though.   Is that an issue with the Egg?  I used BGE brand charcoal.

My prep for the meat was a little olive oil rubbed on with some Montreal steak seasoning and a bit Hys seasoned salt.

• Chris_Wang
    edited May 2014
    Options
    How long did you wait for the lump to burn before putting the meat on? It's best to wait until the lump is "burning clean." It burns clean when the white billowy smoke is gone and all that is left is a thin haze. Ozark Oak and Rockwood lump are the two that get clean burning the quickest. BGE is middle of the pack. Best way to tell (after eyesight) is the smell of the smoke coming from the egg. If it smells like something you don't want your food to taste like, just wait a bit longer.

There are a few (thousand) threads on the VOCs burning off, and if you hang around a few more days, one more will pop up again (I'm counting my post as one).

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• chris11x
    Options

I probably waited appx 12 mins.

But thanks for the info it'll definitely be something I monitor in the future!