Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

For those that use starter cubes...

Botch
Botch Posts: 15,428
This popped up on my "Recommended" list on Amazon:

The price works out to just over a dime per square, less than 1/4 what other cubes cost.  They look identical to what I've been using (wouldn't be surprised if they're both made by the same company).  And with a box of 144, I won't be running out at the wrong time (well, at least, not for awhile).  
I've tried the oil-soaked paper towels and the alcohol, guess I still prefer the "ritual" of a starter cube; recommended if that's what you like.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited May 2014
    I use a similar product made by Rutland. A couple years ago in the Fall at Menard's they were selling them for $.50 per box of 24. I got all 10 boxes they had for $5.00 or 240 starters! They work just fine! BTW they are all gone now!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Botch
    Cool deal, RRP!   :-bd

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• SoCal_Griller
    SoCal_Griller Posts: 516
    Those look a lot like the ones from BGE.  Have you tried them out yet?
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    I use the Weber ones as they are cheap, sold @ Home Depot, and work well.
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited May 2014
    Last time I bought these they were about $12 now they are $18ish. I bought 4 boxes a few months ago.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • RRP
    Those look a lot like the ones from BGE.  Have you tried them out yet?

I may be wrong but I believe Rutland makes BGE starter blocks or at least used to. I assume you know that Royal Oak makes BGE lump. BGE is in the ceramic grill making business...the other stuff is made for them. If you are wondering if my 240 Rutland starter blocks worked...they sure did...I used them all! Plus I only used 1 per fire!
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    edited May 2014
    I took use the weber cubes. I buy several boxes each time I go stateside. They are definitely cheaper in the US. They are even cheaper in the fall.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    RRP said:

I use a similar product made by Rutland. A couple years ago in the Fall at Menard's they were selling them for $.50 per box of 24. I got all 10 boxes they had for $5.00 or 240 starters! They work just fine! BTW they are all gone now!

That's one heck of a bargain!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Keefer
    Keefer Posts: 120
    I just ordered2 boxes of the SureStart. Thanks Botch! I ordered 3 bags of Rockwood lump from FireCraft while I was at it. BGE is all I have ever used and I have really been wanting to try Rockwood. (Rumor has it that I might soon be able to order it at my local Ace Hardware soon)
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    I also use Rutland's , cut them into third's , takes one cube per cook. They work great !
    Last time I bought these they were about $12 now they are $18ish. I bought 4 boxes a few months ago. image

Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Interesting question, using fatwood. SIL has a catalytic wood stove, she was advised not to use fatwood starters. High resin wood is not an issue with a hot fire, it can be an issue with a cold stove. (or so her dealer said) 
    As long as the dome is left open, I couldn't see an issue with excess creosote build-up in an egg, if you close the dome and use the natural chimney effect of the egg, you might get unwanted deposits of partially burned pine resin on the cold dome. IMHO.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • RRP
    Interesting question, using fatwood. SIL has a catalytic wood stove, she was advised not to use fatwood starters. High resin wood is not an issue with a hot fire, it can be an issue with a cold stove. (or so her dealer said) 
    As long as the dome is left open, I couldn't see an issue with excess creosote build-up in an egg, if you close the dome and use the natural chimney effect of the egg, you might get unwanted deposits of partially burned pine resin on the cold dome. IMHO.
    That topic has been kicked around for a long time and the general consenus has been it not a good idea as you are asking for trouble due to build up of creosote more so than simple wood for smoking. I do recall one guy swore it was no problem, but rather than to use a full 10 to 12" stick as they normally come he cut them into short pieces and then only used one or two. To me it's not worth it - but that's just my opinion!
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Wow, thanks for the link.

I use those same starters, they are identical to the BGE labeled ones as well. I buy the same size box of 144 and it last me around 6-7 months.

I pay close to $24 locally for them, so with our prime membership this will save!
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    edited May 2014
    I use newsprint paper in the bottom of a weber chimney.  The paper I am currently using cost me ~$6K as it was all of the news paper used wrap my household goods when I moved a few years ago... Figured I would get some use out of it :)
  • flexfusion
    flexfusion Posts: 240
    What about a residual taste of these in our food.......I'm not convinced that they don't alter the taste and smell.  Any scientific data concerning this out there?  I know when I light  lumps on my Weber charcoal grill using butane the taste and smell of the food is natural.  Can't say that's they case when I use a cube as a starter in my BGE.  Think I'm going to start using a butane torch to start lighting my lumps in my BGE. 
    Auburn, Alabama
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    What about a residual taste of these in our food.......I'm not convinced that they don't alter the taste and smell.  Any scientific data concerning this out there?  I know when I light  lumps on my Weber charcoal grill using butane the taste and smell of the food is natural.  Can't say that's they case when I use a cube as a starter in my BGE.  Think I'm going to start using a butane torch to start lighting my lumps in my BGE. 
    I've done everything from newspaper, to a mapp torch, and these parrafin starters. There is no altered taste to the food, the smell of the coals or anything.

The weber ones that are white and clay like, those have a slight lighter fluid-ish smell, and I won't use anything like that. The parrafin ones however, have no smell to them, and burn completely up.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    RRP said:
    That topic has been kicked around for a long time and the general consenus has been it not a good idea as you are asking for trouble due to build up of creosote more so than simple wood for smoking. I do recall one guy swore it was no problem, but rather than to use a full 10 to 12" stick as they normally come he cut them into short pieces and then only used one or two. To me it's not worth it - but that's just my opinion!
    The problem with excessive creosote build up is fire in your chimney or exhaust flue.  Creosote buildup caution is really for wood burning stoves and fireplaces.  The egg doesn't have much of a chimney.  I don't see how that could possibly impact the flavor of the food, as you already get plenty of creosote build up just from every day cooks.  I suppose if you never cook hot enough to burn that stuff off or and you never clean the dome, and the deposits flake and fall on your food it could be an issue, but the fat pine is done burnt up long before you add your food.  That wood burns quick.
    I have been using these Tumbleweeds for a while and really like the way they light. I think they are $7.99 for 32 weeds. Just my 2 cents.. image
    North Georgia ~ Large BGE~Charbroil Outdoor Fryer~Big Chief Smoker~All Done
    With A Touch Of Classic Rock
  • daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498
    We love bacon in our house! So every time we cook it I soak some paper towel in the grease, put them in a ziplock bag in the freezer. I find they work great! :D
  • Jellyworm
    Jellyworm Posts: 96

I too use the paper towel soaked in bacon grease, works great.

Large BGE
    Houston, TX
  • RRP
    edited May 2014
    oooooh, waste of delicious bacon grease! I save mine to add a half cup to my pots of chili! It's too precious to burn!!!
  • Botch
    I save my bacon grease too, to fry corn tortillas for enchiladas.   :-bd

It's not "authentic" mexican; screw mexico!  
    ;;)

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    uheep said:

I have been using these Tumbleweeds for a while and really like the way they light. I think they are $7.99 for 32 weeds. Just my 2 cents.. image

:)) they actually package pieces of tumbleweeds? Lol. Okay ya now that's a hoot. All my Nebraska friends feel free to start bagging them up for profit ;-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • ReldtiCDN
    ReldtiCDN Posts: 142
    edited May 2014
    Skip the cubes and get a

BernzOmatic Map Gas Torch

Lights Faster!

Brampton, Ontario