Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

St.Louis Rib Meat Flap?

Options
Anyone seen one of these meat flaps on the bone side of St. Louis cut ribs? It's on both slabs -- any concerns?
It's a 302 thing . . .

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I would eat them.
    Options
    Right? Mo' pig, mo' better. Just hadn't seen it before. Pulled membrane and trimmed it up a bit. Otherwise, looks like bonus meat to me.
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    I just trim it off and then throw it on the grill without trying to remove the small amout of membrane on it. Within 1 hour it makes a nice snack for the cook!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • HendersonTRKing
    HendersonTRKing Posts: 1,803
    Options
    That's my plan. These are cut kinda rough. How much fat trimming do you do on St Louis ribs? I'd be inclined to do very little and let it render off during the low and slow cook. But there's a lot and I welcome thoughts. (Also, got a cool new curved boning knife and I'm itching to use it!!)
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • bamafan62
    bamafan62 Posts: 137
    Options
      I noticed the same flap on the last St. Louis slab I cooked.

Phil
  • RRP
    edited May 2014
    Options
    That's my plan. These are cut kinda rough. How much fat trimming do you do on St Louis ribs? I'd be inclined to do very little and let it render off during the low and slow cook. But there's a lot and I welcome thoughts. (Also, got a cool new curved boning knife and I'm itching to use it!!)
    Personally I trim the excessive fat on spares - seems like they differ from processor to processor. Were they labeled as spare ribs or as St Louis spares? If the latter then the rack should have already been ready to go after peeling the membrane. Otherwise if they are straight spares then those do need to be cleaned up. Google "how to" if you are not sure how to trim to St Louis style. BTW that trimmed meat sections are boney and rough but I trim the meat off and use for a wok meal so there is little waste!
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    They look like St. Louis and the thread is

St.Louis Rib Meat Flap?

That flap looks like the membrane with some attached meat from the tips that were trimmed off.

Options
    I read that too, but as I implied the degree seems to differ by processors. Some recent SL trimmed spares I got from Kroger were poorly trimmed like the last ribs before break time or the dude was pissed! Other times I have received perfectly trimmed ones like they were the first attempt to make them perfect by a new butcher before he was told his quota numbers to speed him up!
  • HendersonTRKing
    HendersonTRKing Posts: 1,803
    Options
    Definitely St. Louis. Very surprised about the poor butchering. Bought at BJ's and it was branded "IBP" which I hadn't seen before. Usually it's Swift or Hatfield. I cleaned them up some with the new knife. And will make "the cook's portion" out of the flaps as suggested. A little Daddy's Treat for Mother's Day! Will post pics (or it didn't happen!).
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    use 'em to experiment with new rub mixtures......if you can remove the silver skin or membrane....makes eating easier.......

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • RRP
    edited May 2014
    Options
    tjv said:
    use 'em to experiment with new rub mixtures......if you can remove the silver skin or membrane....makes eating easier.......

t

Tom, I'm a stubborn cuss when it comes to removing the membrane from my ribs, but for some reason I gave up trying to get it off the flap meat one time and said heck with it! I don't know if it is because of how thin that meat is, but I never find that membrane as a problem. I cook that flap membrane down for one hour and it is tasty! I know some people swear there is no need to remove the membrane from ribs at all except for competition cooking. Maybe I'll just leave it on the ribs someday for the heck of it!
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Huh, I always thought "St Louis" ribs were just spareribs with the flap meat cut off... 

@HendersonTRKing: "IBP" is probably Iowa Beef Packers.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• nolaegghead
    Options
    I don't remove the membrane anymore.  It breaks down enough to eat.  My buddy who cooks ribs by the case insists on removing it every time.  There's no right or wrong.  Personally it doesn't bother me.
    Options
    Botch said:
    Huh, I always thought "St Louis" ribs were just spareribs with the flap meat cut off... 

@HendersonTRKing: "IBP" is probably Iowa Beef Packers.  

More than just the flap meat is cut off to make them St Louis style. Let me see if this link will attach. Just the first minute alone is worth watching if you don't want to take all 5 minutes. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gYOLV66XukY