Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Boy Grilled Cheese

Options
Monty77
Monty77 Posts: 667
edited May 2014 in EggHead Forum
Been busy around the garden today and I worked up a bit of an appetite. 

I already had the egg going from breakfast so I decided to make some grilled cheese sandwiches.  Its nothing special, but I make mine with one different ingredient, pesto! 

I slather on a healthy coating of butter to both outer sides of the bread, on the inside I spread on one side a layer of the pesto and then cover with two slices of deli cheese.  Today I am using a colby-Jack combo!  I had the egg stable at 400* with my cast iron 1/2 moon rib side up.  I add the bread to the grill,  a nice little sizzle as the butter starts to melt and a few minutes later I am flipping to finish the other side.

Once removed, I let them stand for about 2 minutes to eat, and serve with my favourite side snacks. 

I realize there is no WOW factor on this one, just a nice and simple easy lunch recipe I thought I would share!  I will say for those who have not tried grilled cheese with pesto, I would highly recommend as it adds that extra flavour that just puts it over the top!  Kids enjoy it as well, wasn't sure about that until I tested it last week and they loved it. 

Enjoy! 
Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    You're too modest.

That last shot could be in any magazine. Beautiful work.

Oh yeah, WOW.
  • Monty77
    edited May 2014
    Options
    You're too modest. That last shot could be in any magazine. Beautiful work. Oh yeah, WOW.
    Thank you, my two hobbies are photography and Eggin, so it only makes sense to me to try and combine them whenever I can.  I take a lot of food shots for our local Egg dealer as we do cooking classes there every Saturday to demo the Egg and bring more members into the cult, I mean club...  LOL
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I'll drink your kool-aid!
  • EggObsessed
    EggObsessed Posts: 786
    Options
    Wow, @Monty77, your photos on Flickr are outstanding.  Thoroughly enjoyed all of them!
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Excellent sandwich, very well captured - could almost smell that melting colby-jack. We like our grilled cheese with pesto, marinara, salsa, tomatoes and ham (not all at the same time). Sometimes a quick dab of BBQ sauce to set the cheese into is also good. Mine have never looked as good as yours and don't think I've ever done on the egg. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    You're too modest. That last shot could be in any magazine. Beautiful work. Oh yeah, WOW.
    Agree

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Monty77
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Wow, @Monty77, your photos on Flickr are outstanding.  Thoroughly enjoyed all of them!
    Thanks for the kind words and taking the time to view, I am glad you enjoyed them.  I enjoy the art of photography and sharing it with others.  It is a passion of mine, just like Eggin!  

• tjosborne
    tjosborne Posts: 529
    Options
    Always something new here to make me want to cook on the egg more. It never fails, guess that's good.
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE