Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

And the #1 Barbeque State in the union is..... Georgia?

Botch
Botch Posts: 15,432
I'll just leave this here:  Georgia

>:)

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

Comments

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    We'll take it!  =D>
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    That top 10 list is a joke
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Trip Advisor is a joke too.
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Sour grapes......

Couldn't agree more.  Trip Advisor really knows their ****.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Hahahaha! The Texas crew should be chiming in any second now...

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    That list is this, and keep in mind Trip Advisor isn't dedicated to food reviews, its about travel, not about what the locals like:

The TripAdvisor ranking of top barbecue restaurants is based on establishments that have a minimum of 100 reviews and were ranked by quantity and quality, giving more weight to reviews written in the past year. Chain restaurants with more than 10 locations were excluded.
    Based on Reviews and Opinions of TripAdvisor Travelers....opinions and ****.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I thought all they had in Georgia were peaches and pine trees.  :D

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• TheShaytoon
    TheShaytoon Posts: 420
    You knew that list was crap, when Texas was not number ONE. 

Happy @Chris_Wang?  
    :))

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
    Dallas, TX

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    henapple said:

Based on Reviews and Opinions of TripAdvisor Travelers....opinions and ****.

Dude when you come out of hiding you do it with a vengeance!!
    :D:D

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Trip Advisor's article stuff is ehhh..

Texas is still #1 to me, but I guess different strokes really. I'm from Texas, live in GA, and have a place in NC. I'd like to think I have my bases covered.

Brisket rules in TX, pulled pork and pork ribs with sweet, vinegar and mustard sauces in the south.. Yes, please!
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,869
    Roughly a year ago, Trip Advisor had a valuation around $11 billion. All for a website where people post their thoughts on how much little Caillou hated the hotel Cheerios.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414

You knew that list was crap, when Texas was not number ONE. 

Happy @Chris_Wang?  
    :))
    Well, Texas is where it should be, 1 behind North Carolina.
  • mmundy81
    mmundy81 Posts: 36
    I question the legitimacy of the list for ranking places in GA above Fox Bros and Grand Champion.
  • Jaime_Doug
    Jaime_Doug Posts: 57
    Hey they noticed this old basterd bought a BGE.. They figured if HE'S doin it, they all must be.. :-)
    Doug/Jaime in Tucker, GA   Could almost walk to BGE Mothership  LBGE
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    I thought the best BBQ comes from the backyards of those who own a BGE.

Or is it the best BBQ is consumed by those who live in the state of inebriation?
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    I thought all they had in Georgia were peaches and pine trees. 

You forgot about the President that all Georgia residents are so proud and fond of. The Great Jimmy Carter. Some say he is a true reflection of the finest that Georgia has to offer. I hope that's not the case.

The above is meant to be humorous. No insult intended my Georgia friends.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Hmmm maybe these same folks would say ya get better Creole & Cajun cuisine in Jersey than New Orleans =))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited May 2014
    Jimmy Carter is a tireless, empathetic and intelligent humanitarian.   If the average person had one tenth of those qualities, the world would be a much better place.

I don't dispute that at all. But the above being said doesn't qualify him to be the leader of the most powerful military that the world has ever known nor to lead the USA. I don't dispute his good qualities at all. As a matter of fact the company I work for makes huge donations to his charities and to Habitat for Humanity. Last I checked Exxon/Mobil still donates more than any one else by a wide margin to Habitat for Humanity. Being a good person does not qualify you to be a leader of a country. And as I stated above it was merely a joke. No insult intended at all. Sorry if any one from Georgia took it that way. But im sure that's not the first or last Carter joke you have heard. Several of my closest friends are from Georgia by the way.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    No offense taken, but I didn't notice any dialog about controlling the "greatest military that the world has ever known" in either of our posts and I'd rather not wonder into the realm of political dogma.  That said, I'd take a look at the governance of the entire history of the country and you might see some misdirection of the military that caused the loss of American servicemen's lives by Presidents that you might very well admire because of political dogma.
     take a look at the governance of the entire history of the country and you might see some misdirection of the military that caused the loss of American servicemen's lives by Presidents that you might very well admire because of political dogma.
    No doubt about that at all. There have been some very strong Commander In Chiefs who's motivation was greed and money and not the well being of the people. I do give Carter credit for being a good person and a true humanitarian and trying to put the people first. His good heart is the reason that he was considered a weak President rather than a strong one. That being said it is that good heart of his that will earn him eternal life one day. I cant say the same for some of the other Presidents that we have had. Again I want to say that is was just a joke and I was trying to get in on the Georgia BBQ being #1 gaff. No harm intended at all.

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    No problem man, I'd venture to say the whole premise of who has the best BBQ is about as ridiculous as our friendly discussion here.   The metrics are poorly defined and widely subjective.

No problem man, I'd venture to say the whole premise of who has the best BBQ is about as ridiculous as our friendly discussion here.   The metrics are poorly defined and widely subjective.

Therefore it's Texas. I'm glad we settled that.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    edited May 2014
    I was born in Atlanta in 1984, and have lived in metro Atlanta all my life. So to me, Jimmy Carter is the former President who goes to a lot of Braves games and doesn't get a lot of good pub from his term.

I currently live in McDonough, the home of the original Shane's Rib Shack. And though I think the commercialization and the buyout from the same company that runs Moe's has hurt the overall quality, the original shack is still a great place to get ribs.

Fresh Air BBQ right down the road from me in Jackson, GA is the best place to get chopped pork with amazing vinegar based sauces.

Grand Champion and Fox Bros, to me, are still a head (or rib) above the rest, but I really am surprised that Georgia is even on the list.

I've never heard of a Georgia-style BBQ place. I've never gone to another state and have their patrons ask me a million questions about the perfect way to smoke a brisket. I've never had to explain which region of Georgia I live in to justify the base of my sauce. All that to say, I know it's just trip advisory, but it's a twilight zone kind of list.

But hey, at least Georgia finally won something. Braves, Falcons, Jackets, Dawgs, Hawks... all have a recent track record of falling short.

Go Georgia! Take the win from the diluted list and move on lol.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• MeridianSun
    MeridianSun Posts: 20
    I'm in Georgia and I can't agree with this. If course I really don't care for vinegar based bbq so that rules most Georgia bbq out for me.
    Large Big Green Egg, Griffin Georgia 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414

I was born in Atlanta in 1984, and have lived in metro Atlanta all my life. So to me, Jimmy Carter is the former President who goes to a lot of Braves games and doesn't get a lot of good pub from his term.

I have underwear older than you and Jimmy Carter was the second worst president in the modern era. Obama, to borrow a line from the Sopranos, is King Midas in reverse. Everything he touches turns to sh!t.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Had I known this thread would've degenerated into another damn political bash, I never would've posted it.

Sorry guys.  
    :-<

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,869
    It's all fun and games until someone mentions Jimmy Carter.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike