Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

White Pizza From Heaven

Options
Judy Mayberry
Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
edited May 2014 in EggHead Forum
I just downed a Pizza Bianca from "Mozza," a pizzeria that started in Los Angeles and has worked its way down to San Diego. The owner and James Beard Award-winning chef Nancy Silverton wrote the cookbook Mozza that tells how to make the awesome crusts and pizzas plus other dishes they serve. I stood at the Pizza Bar and watched them make it, and knew I had to find out what was in it. 

I found the directions at Serious Eats: 

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2011/07/top-this-pizza-bianca-a-la-pizzeria-mozza.html 

AND you have to watch the slideshow too for complete directions: 

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2011/07/top-this-pizza-bianca-a-la-pizzeria-mozza-slideshow.ht ml#show-173055 

The sottocenere cheese with truffles in it is sold at a high-end cheese shop here. Absolutely delicious. I got a little to grate over omelets. 

The big surprise ingredient in a white pie? Read it for yourself!
Judy in San Diego

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Thank you, Judy! Looks like a new addition to my "To Do list"!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Serial Griller
    Serial Griller Posts: 1,186
    Options

Thanks for sharing!

The latest issue of Food & Wine ( the ultimate guide to grilling0 has one of Nancy's easy ( tomato oregano ) snack pizzas featured.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited May 2014
    Options
    This brings me back to when SWMBO and I were stationed in Sicily. They would make a white pie in their pizza ovens (all wood burning) with fresh herbs etc. I miss their culture and the food (SWMBO has got the Bruschetta down to a T like they make it. I get the pies real close but I feel they still missing something). Eventually I'll get it down pat like I want :-). Thanks for sharing Ms. Judy.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    edited May 2014
    Options
    This brings me back to when SWMBO and I were stationed in Sicily. They would make a white pie in their pizza ovens (all wood burning) with fresh herbs etc. I miss their culture and the food (SWMBO has got the Bruschetta down to a T like they make it. I get the pies real close but I feel they still missing something). Eventually I'll get it down pat like I want :-). Thanks for sharing Ms. Judy.
    So tell us how to make the almost-Sician white pies. I like white pies better than any other kind of pizza--"Less is More". Did it have garlic on it?
    Judy in San Diego
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    The only recipe I have is from a book we purchased while there (but, it is for the traditional pies). There were only 2 pizza locations I can recall that made a "white" pie the others were more traditional(both places I recall us having the white pies were located toward Taormina). I was simply saying my pies were close to theirs (but, I should've prefaced that with to their traditional pie).
    The milk we got there was never cows milk it was either Geep milk or Parmalat (so I never was quite sure if their cheeses used dairy from Geep or if the cheese was imported because they mostly used fresh ingredients). I've always believed the pie as a whole the type of flour, the water in the dough, dairy products, type of tomatoes used for the sauce, type of wood used in their oven would all contribute to the flavor. And it has been almost 18 yrs since we were there (some memories fade). Yes, garlic was on the "traditional" pies. The white pies I've got nothin' (there isn't anything in my book either). So I would like to attempt the recipe you have so kindly shared. Sorry I wasn't able to share.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL