Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need some advice from the wizards among us.....

I will start this by saying I think everyone here feels like accomplished cooks until you toss in the "Guest" variant and **** gets real....

I have only the KJ Jr currently and I was asked this week to cook a couple butts, 8.5 and 8lbs. The party is tomorrow at 1800 and i am to bring these at that time. First thought was turbo both today and reheat tomorrow. Then several other options crossed my slow mind.
better options 
OPT1  Low N Slow the first one now and as soon as it finishes, turbo the second
OPT2  Low n Slow fist and wrap at  165 then oven and repeat for the second.
OPT3  Low N Slow both starting now
OPT4  Turbo Both allowing about 5hrs each and 2hrs of rest (starting at 0530 tomorrow roughly)
OPT5  Butterfly and Turbo Both in less time..

Never done a butt for friends on this Jr but i knew it was coming soon. I need some advice and feel free to chime in but im looking for the Turbo guys and guysthat specifically cook butts a good bit and maybe on the smalls

@rrp @Mickey I know there is many more of you im leaving out but please chime in anyway. 
Beaufort, SC

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Option 6> low and slow both of them. Or is this not an option on your cooker? I know given the weights of the butts I've seen folks do 2 on a SBGE with some ingenuity and if on a LBGE or XLBGE it's absolutely no issue. But, I'm not familiar with KJ Jr setup options.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited May 2014
    Thanks for the compliment - I have to ask though how big is a KJ Jr? If the size is sufficient my advice is to go with option 4 - hands down! Clarification though that will be both butts at the same time for the 5 hours...not 5 hours for one and then starting the other for 5 more hours.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    @RRP @NPHuskerFL its is the size of a small roughly 13'' grid without the depth for more charcoal... what about standing them both up somehow? I think i can get it low n slow but will i see any real difference then turbo? I always wrap at 165ish and do LnS but was thinking this may be the best time for a turbo set....just not sure. 
    Beaufort, SC
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Could you be overthinking this? My heard started hurting after option 3. I recommend whichever method allows for the most drinking and the most sleep!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • RRP
    See my edited comment? If you can shoe horn in the two at the same time do it, making sure you maintain 340 to 350. And due to the closeness be sure you are cooking indirect! As for foil - I would not! Foil on a turbo cook screws up the bark IMO.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited May 2014
    Option 6> low and slow both of them. Or is this not an option on your cooker? I know given the weights of the butts I've seen folks do 2 on a SBGE with some ingenuity and if on a LBGE or XLBGE it's absolutely no issue. But, I'm not familiar with KJ Jr setup options.
    C'mon @NPHuskerFL... that was OPT3.  #-o
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Another thought - with the KJJr is the dome thermometer removeable? That way you can pull it out close dome and reinsert the thermometer so as to not impale a butt messing up the temp reading plus bending the therm probe.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Low n slow the first one overnight, then FTC.  Next turbo the 2nd.  Both good techniques and you'll be able to compare the two methods.
    caliking said:
    Could you be overthinking this? My heard started hurting after option 3. I recommend whichever method allows for the most drinking and the most sleep!
    Def turbo then LOL I can be drunk in 5hrs easy
    Beaufort, SC
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Option 1 allows for both bragging rights and comparable data...

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    You do understand the rest in opt 4 is not mandatory? It's just there to get you to dinner. Opt # 4 if it were me.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• plumbfir01
    @Mickey I use the rest as a buffer in case butts need more cooking time but yes sir i know its not mando. Thanks
    Beaufort, SC
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,667
    since you said you wrap in foil at 165 anyways, wrap it and toss it in the oven while you start your turbo butt.....that would be OPP6
    :D

honestly, if you can fit them both in, go with what you know and are comfortable with or go with OPP6
    :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Is it just me who feels like they are buying a truck here?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• plumbfir01
    LOL LS.....except I have the expertise of great individuals and not thieving car salesmen  >:)
    Beaufort, SC
  • plumbfir01
    Updates....once the jr cooled off from earlier cook, I tried to fit both butts on cryovac'ed  they wouldnt fit on edge or flat...looks like singles...
    Beaufort, SC
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    edited May 2014
    Option 7 - buy a Large BGE \:D/
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• plumbfir01
    Option 7 - buy a Large BGE \:D/
    Just sold my large to buy another setup...just have not got the deal done yet...thanks for the help  ;)
    Beaufort, SC
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited May 2014

C'mon @NPHuskerFL... that was OPT3.  #-o

8-} don't know how I missed that one @TexanOfTheNorth‌
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • RRP
    Updates....once the jr cooled off from earlier cook, I tried to fit both butts on cryovac'ed  they wouldnt fit on edge or flat...looks like singles...
    even standing so they are high in the dome and holding each other upright? An all metal skewer or two can aid the standing position.
  • plumbfir01
    Yeah hold for pics ...once out of plastic they may lay down a bit. how much gap between the dome do they need? maybe an inch max is what ill have
    Beaufort, SC
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    @RRP @NPHuskerFL its is the size of a small roughly 13'' grid without the depth for more charcoal... 
    Is the KJ Jr is shorter than the BGE Small?

• plumbfir01
    i think its a bit shorter from dome

Beaufort, SC
  • plumbfir01
    @RRP and @Mickey and everyone else.... i am using bad byrons and not cutting it...do i mustard first on these butts?
    Beaufort, SC
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Either way I use mustard but the rub will stick without it

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • RRP
    That's your call!!! personally even though I an highly tolerant to the taste of salt I found BB to be horribly salty and honestly I threw out that bottle of rub after that first disaster! Maybe you will like it. Again - you asked my opinion and I gave it like it or not! Ok?
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    @RRP and @Mickey and everyone else.... i am using bad byrons and not cutting it...do i mustard first on these butts?

I do BB's then mustard and BB's again. Love BB's.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    I vote for turbo both at the same time. FTC when done and take that to the party. You can pull the meat there. Everyone will be drooling whole you're pulling.

Otherwise I think http://eggheadforum.com/profile/14337/fishlessman has the best idea.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    I was trying to post fishlessman there. Screwed that up. . .
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791

@plumbfir01

First let me point out that im not one of the wizards or the elite. However I do have a kamado joe jr.

I will keep this short and sweet. Looking at the size of your butts and taking into account the head room of the joe jr. I would recommend running 300-325. You will avoid scorching and still achieve a very fast cook. The head room on the jr. is why I limit the temp on turbo. Reflective heat can and will become a issue on extended cooks. Not as much of a problem on the larger cookers. That being said I would turbo both of them. In case you are wondering Myron Mixon has more than proved that hot and fast works. Hard to argue with the winningest man ever. Just remember with the jr try to stay around 325 to avoid scorching or drying from the reflective heat from the dome. Hope this helps my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.