Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Broken BGE

Gfw
Gfw Posts: 1,598
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
S12_23_9909_41_01.jpg
<p />In late December (about my 3rd month BGE anniversary) I noticed that the piece that holds the charcoal (don't know it's official name) had cracked in half - being a little creative I used a little wire to pull it back together. Last night I noticed that it was now in 5 pieces. [p]Called BGE today and the replacement is on the way -- all I had to do was pay for shipping so I ordered a 2nd one as a backup. Great people to deal with - don't even have to mail the original back.[p]I also looked at the Lodge grate - it comes in at 8 inches and the medium original is only 6 inches in diameter. Any other alternatives?

Comments

• Gfw, I just replaced my broke one a few weeks ago. When doing a complete cleanout, I discovered that it was in three pieces but still holding the remaining coals up. That's kinda like the guy who threw himself on the handgranade in the fox hole. REAL GUTS! The guy at my egg retailer said I may have struck it too hard while cleaning. I told him I never strike any part of my egg. I read Dr. Benjamin Spocks book. This kid was a salesman and dosen't even own an egg. But he still smiled and gave me a new one before I even reached for his throat.

• k, who are you. You keep following me around posting blank posts. Are you any relation to the Guru? Stay away, leave me alone!

• Gfw
    King-o-Coals, I think they know that they have a problem - and if they keep dealing with it the way they did with me, it's really no problem. Figured out any alternatives?

• Gfw, someone here on the Forum has the website or address where you can get a cast iron replacement grate for the bottom of the firebox. But like you said, they always replace these problems. It's a good company with an excellent product and an excellent reputation. All we have to fear,, is fear itself.

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Gfw,
    Hi Gordon, I replaced my fire grate a few months ago with some expanded metal and I think it works better. I just got a square chunk and trimmed it with tin snips and smashed it into a bowl shape and put it where the original rested (my broke too ;)) It makes lighting the coals from the bottom a snap, and i 'think' it helps when I'm low and slow cooking, (this weekend I cooked a shoulder for 24 hours and the fire never went out). These are not my ideas (I got them here) but the overall performance of the expanded metal grate has been very good, thats why I've not contacted BGE about a replacement. ;) The cast iron trivets probably work just as good, but I don't have one, and I can get the expanded stuff for free. :)
    later, ChefRD

• Gfw
    S12_15_9914_15_01.jpg
    <p />ChefRD, I understand computers, investments, insurance, but... what is expanded metal? Where would I find it? [p]PS: Off to KC in the am for the day, but I think wings are on for the weekend! Your wings are the BEST!

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Gfw,
    You're too kind. The expanded metal is just perforated sheet metal that has a bunch of diamond shapes punched thru it. I get mine at work and I think you can get it at "major" lumber/hardware stores. Someone here (help me out guys) posted a pix of it earlier and I believe they found some at a Lowes, Meynards or some other big place. If you can't figure it out I can email you a picture of it so good luck, and let me know if I can help,
    later, ChefRD

• Gfw, I'll bet you can get a piece from a metal fab. shop in your area. They will probably give you a small piece. They may even have Stainless Steel. That's my idea of precious metals..
  • Gfw,
    You can get expanded metal at any good metal supply house there in KC. As little as you need, they may even give it to you. That small amount will come from their scrap pile. Ask for 3/4" or 1/2" expanded metal and be sure it has not been rolled to flaten out the expansion. When they roll it, it will cut down on your openings. Home Depot or Lowes should have it along with any contractor supply house. It will come in 10 gauge or thicker and it will be easy to work with if you have tin-snips and a small grinder. Go to the metal supply house first. They'll help you out without ripping you off.[p]Dr. C

• Gfw
    Dr. Chicken, thanks - ater this week I'll take a look - remember, I live in Peoria, IL - yesterday to get the shoes I wanted I ordered over the web - 225,000 metro, no good clothing or shoe stores. At least I found a BGE!

• Gfw,
    I thought your profile said Kansas city! Sorry about that! Peoria is even better. Go to or call the Chicago Tube & Iron outlet there in Peoria. Tim Orendorf use to be my rep out of there. If they don't carry it, they'll tell you where in town you can get it! They are great people to work with. I spent 11 yrs in the area around the Quad cities area. If you can get stainless expanded metal, that's the way to go. It will last considerably longer IMHO![p]Good luck and better eating![p]Dr. C

• Gfw
    Dr. Chicken, thanks for the lead - it's on my calendar for Friday - this morning I'm off to Kansas City on a little business.

• Gfw,[p]Oh no! The expanded metal/trivet thread again! Ok, if you go to Home Depot, go to where they keep the threaded rods and such and you will see the expanded metal there. Generally it will be above the rods and there will be several types on the vertical shelving there.[p]DO NOT ASK for expanded metal when you walk in, they will have NO clue what you are talking about(my expereince). Anyway, the stuff is sold in square sheets that are boxed with a cutout showing the atual item contained therein. It actually says EXPANDED METAL on the box. Go for the 1/2 inch, as recommended by JJ and CW.[p]You can take your broken grate, piece it together, and trace the outline around the expanded metal so that you have a guide for cutting it. Below is the link for the trivet. I don't know if they have what you are looking for. There are good pics of it on Tim M's website.[p]Just to muddy the works further, you can get a 6" cast iron flooring grate as well (plumbing supplies), but I can't speak for how well they work/don't work.[p]Regards,
    Jobu

[ul][li]Trivet[/ul]
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    grate2.jpg
    <p />Gfw,[p]Gordon,
    I have not had a chance to read all the responces so this may have been covered. Many of us have replaced the grate with a cast iron trivett. Its 8" diameter and it works great for low and slow or grilling. Makes starting easier from under the grate as opposed to from the top. Look under msc pics on my website for more.[p]Tim

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Gfw,[p]Tim is pointing you in the right direction in recommending the trivet. I have had mine for about 6 months or so and it performs excellent. I find my fires eaiser to light and control since I've had it. Never had a fire go out during the night either. I'm sure if you look around you can find something similar to fit the medium Egg as well.

• Bryan
    Bryan Posts: 53
    Gfw,[p]At the risk of being "redundit" (fancy huh?) I and many others have had the same problem. I replaced mine with one of the old GBE grates that I had laying around the garage for a while. ( I still have that) Works great. Maybe BGE still has some in a warehouse somewhere?[p]I also bought a trivet for backj-up. As yet un-used. I am sure it will work.[p]The problem I had with all of my grates is that they tended to move around on me when starting the charcoal with an electric starter, or just moving the coals around to knock the ash down. Sometimes this resulted in the grate moving to the side and dumping the charcoal down the shute.[p]I fabbed an expanded metal grate as has been mentioned here. I then placed screws at intervals around the expanded metal to protrude downward through the shute (that part where the ashes go). These screws (bout 2.5 inches long) keep the expanded metal grate centered in the firebox at all times so I no longer dump my coals. The expanded metal, I have noticed, also allows for quicker response in temperature adjustments. I guess from less airflow restriction. It also seems to dump the ashes on their own removing the need for me to "stir" before firing up.[p]I understand that BGE is experimenting with a new design for their grate based on the expanded metal material.[p]I will have some pictures of my grate when I get some pictures developed and will be happy to send some to you when they are in.[p]Let me know how you come out.[p]Bryan

• Gfw,[p]Yeah I got a crack in my Fire box but don't want to fool with it right now. It is great to have a company that works with you the way this one does.[p]Elder Ward