Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I hate false advertising!

Options
I was looking through Craigslist just to see if any good deals on a used Egg were available, and I found the following listing:

Knowing that the listing may be pulled at any time I will copy it here:

X-Large Big Green Egg grill / smoker - $300 (Byron)

Okay, it's not a BGE, but it is a competitor - Akorn Kamado Kooker. It is *brand new*. Still in original box. I purchased two and decided to sell one. (I have one setup if you'd like to see it.) I've cooked with it a few times, and it has held temperature overnight for 9 hours - no problem. I also seared a steak at 750 deg. 

This unit works just as well as the Big Green Egg, but without the heavy, expensive ceramic. It is also nearly 1/4th the cost!

You'll love it!

I really liked this part of his ad, "This unit works just as well as the Big Green Egg, but without the heavy, expensive ceramic...." 

That kind of reminds me of a blind date, "She is just like a beauty queen, but without the good looks, and charm." 

Anyway I have heard decent things about the Akorn, but it isn't an Egg! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Ahhhhh, Craigslist, the pinnacle of truth and honest deals. There are some honest folks using Craigslist and other on line buy/sell forums, but these forums also attract the not so honest crowd. Could be this seller is just repeating what he had been told or understood when he bought the Akorns. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I get some that pop up as BGEs in the title and then the description is for a "BGE-style" smoker. Just do your due diligence.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I looked at it years ago, but it looked cheap, and the warranty sucks. Its made by charrboil I believe and their gas grills dont last long. Before I bought the egg I was looking at Weber, Broil Kin and Beefeater for a new gas grill which are all known to last for a while. I would not buy a $200 dollar gas grill or green egg copy. My brother-in-law has been through 3 cheap gas grills in 10 years. I told him he could have bought one egg for the pr Ice of those 3 grills. His comment was I have my grill on a deck. I said there are ways to keep the egg safe and I've seen gas grills burn down houses. He come around soon, but my sister-in-law wouldn't want to spend what cost to get one. I got mine and that's all that counts.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options
    Speaking of CL, in my neck of the woods Kijiji seems to have pushed CL over big time!
    canuckland
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Weird that he's selling that cooker for the same price I could find it brand new in a store.
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options

That's funny I've never seen anybody advertise an Akorn  while they were trying to sell an EGG.

XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,954
    Options
    odie91 said:
    Weird that he's selling that cooker for the same price I could find it brand new in a store.

That's due to the idiot tax.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike