Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Spatchcock Chicken?

Options
I am going to finally do spatchcock chicken this Sunday for mother's day and had a few questions. Should I do it indirect and on a raised grid? I was thinking of cooking it at around 400°. My brother-in-law is smoking some baby back ribs so I am wondering on whether to do one or two. I am going to put it in brine over night then a rub on in the morning and put them on around 3 because we are eating at 6. Is that to early? What's your thoughts?
XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.

Comments

• plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    Options
    do a couple. for more then 4people. If you have leftovers it will keep well. 400F raised Direct. Consider Mickeys rub. I did one tonight of the coffee rub below is a pic.  I have not done a beer can chicken since i learned spatchcock. Good luck and you will not be disappointed. 

I wouldnt even brine, the raised direct spatch seems to keep moisiture as long as you can check temp for done time. It will be the most moist and tender you ever had
    Beaufort, SC
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I have a new chicken rub that works great with a sugar/salt brine. How long did it take to get to 165 or temp?

Kansas City, Mo.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited May 2014
    Options
    I did indirect raised yesterday, close to an hr @375-400 5+ lb bird

Agree no need for brine, the plate it rested on was soaked so much juice naturally
    Seattle, WA
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    Options
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options

I am going to finally do spatchcock chicken this Sunday for mother's day and had a few questions. Should I do it indirect and on a raised grid? I was thinking of cooking it at around 400°. My brother-in-law is smoking some baby back ribs so I am wondering on whether to do one or two. I am going to put it in brine over night then a rub on in the morning and put them on around 3 because we are eating at 6. Is that to early? What's your thoughts?

If you're cooking at 400 they're only going to take about an hour not three.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Plumbfir01, I still have those 2 chickens in the fridge in case we ever have a kitchen fire.  Just give them a squeeze and it's done....  
    :))
    The Naked Whiz
  • tkleager
    tkleager Posts: 539
    edited May 2014
    Options
    +1 on @plubfir01 and @td66snrf.  SWMBO requested one for Friday night when I suggested chicken for dinner.  I'm going to try and do a compound butter with Mickey's and put it under the skin.  The last one I just had butter under then skin and Mickey's on top.  It was good, but want to try this to see what happens.
    No Name City, just between Scottsbluff and Mitchell, NE   Crown!  More Crown!
    Egg: 1 Large with 18" BGE CI Grid, Plate Setter, Lg V-Rack
    Maverick ET-73 and Bear Paws
    Eggheads Everywhere Map
    Eggheads Everywhere Stat Sheet
    Barbecue is the answer, but while you’re waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions. – Woody Allen
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options

I'm seeing more and more people do spatchcock chicken indirect - I have no idea why.  It's most excellent done direct at 375 to 400 degrees.  It is soooo easy - keep unpackaged in the fridge overnight, throw on your rub 10 to 30 minutes before putting it on, cook for 45 minutes, check temps, remove thighs when done, remove breast when done.  Never takes much over an hour.  Yummy!!! 

In fact I'm doing one tonight.  I'm going to try cooking without the skin on, as we generally don't eat it (so says GFU), and I hate to waste those great seasonings.

Santa Paula, CA
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Either way will work. 3 tips. After brine rinse well and dry with paper towels. Really dry. After you apply rub place in the fridge uncovered for a while. This will help with the skin. Definitely wont take three hours. Lastly lots of great leftover ideas for spatchcock. My favorite is jambalaya and its so ez
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• jerryb78
    jerryb78 Posts: 215
    Options
    Not to hijack the thread, but will 3 spatchcocks fit onto a LBGE?  Any noticeable increase in the cooking time?
    LBGE
    Menasha, WI
  • grege345
    Options
    @jerryb78‌ depending on size you could probably arrange them in a way that will work. With an Ar or raised grid without a doubt

• grege345
    Options
    @Ladeback69‌ almost forgot. Try putting veggies and potatoes with a little chicken stock(just enough to cover bottom) in a pan underneath the chickens.

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Thanks for the help greg345 and everyone else. I think I'm am going indirect at 400° with a raised grid. I'm going to brine over night Sat then rinse, dry and rub. I'm going to give myself 2 hours and if early FTC for dinner at 6.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • grege345
    Options
    I have never FTc full chicken on others recommendation. Maybe other will chime in