Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

This will probably gross most of you out

Comments

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    I hated beef liver from when I was young (aka the first time it was served to me).  Then in my twenties, someone told I should try chicken liver as they don't taste anything like beef liver.  So I tried it, blech, same gross texture and same gross taste.  I've decided all liver is bad, polar bear liver can kill you, so I put all liver in the deadly to eat category.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    I like to eat chicken liver and kill my own.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I haven't tried eating liver since I was forced to as a kid. I remember hating it, but not why. Whether is was taste or texture or what. I was really hoping this past season that I could get a deer as I really wanted to see what deer liver tastes like. Heard good stuff about it and supposedly does not taste anything like beef liver. Alas, I struck out. Maybe next year...

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    I just threw up in my mouth a little bit....
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    I like chicken liver, does calves liver taste similar?

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Now this is a true story.  I mean it.  I was there. 

8 of us went to eat in a seafood joint in Kinston, NC.  Seven of us ordered fish-related entrees.  One of us ordered chicken livers.  The fish entrees all came on china plates.  The chicken livers came out on a paper plate.  I can only conclude that in NC, the Health Department won't let you use china for serving food if it has ever had chicken livers on it.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I like chicken liver, does calves liver taste similar?
    I don't think so. They are both obviously liver, but I find the flavor different. Hands down, I think chicken liver is better. Easier to find too. I shop at half a dozen grocery stores at one time or another, All have pint size tubs of chicken liver. ONE sells calves liver. Sometimes.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    In my house we only use liver to catch catfish.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    The next thing you know, somebody will post a haggis thread.
    Don't knock it unless you've tried it. Haggis + Scotch = Happy

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    Had to look up haggis. And then, sheep's pluck.  :)) I would try it. Not sure I would LIKE it, but I would try.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Little Steven
    It is relatively bland. I usually hammer the cayenne to it

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    edited May 2014
    I usually hammer the cayenne to it
    You would do that to a bowl of Corn Flakes! Eh?   :D

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2014
    @Focker - you know they have actual pills with all the nutrients you need or want rather than make your own organ meat Mike and Ikes...probably cheaper, not as much fun, but cheaper.

Most nutrients need specific enzymes and substances to be properly absorbed.  These are naturally found in food, not in synthetics.  Several studies have shown that multivitamins may actually do more harm than good.  Vitamin D or Magnesium would be an exception due to its difficulty to find in food.

If Mike and Ike liver pills(they are cut to that size lol), keep me from taking the real pills I push at work, then I'm in.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    @GATraveller‌ +1 brother! Liver in my house belongs on the end of a hook drowning in water waiting to catch me a fish!
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • Little Steven
    Any of you non believers ever try foie gras or boudin?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,797

Not on purpose.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,678
    i can eat it the foie gras in a beef wellington, i can eat liverwust, i can eat boudin if its wrapped on a hard boiled egg and deep fried like a scotch egg, but no beef liver, but no chicken liver, and especially no beaver liver.......especially no beaver liver, absolutely disgusting, doesnt matter how long i chew it, its not going down the pipes
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414

i can eat it the foie gras in a beef wellington, i can eat liverwust, i can eat boudin if its wrapped on a hard boiled egg and deep fried like a scotch egg, but no beef liver, but no chicken liver, and especially no beaver liver.......especially no beaver liver, absolutely disgusting, doesnt matter how long i chew it, its not going down the pipes

And you expect her to like your sausage? Hrmph!
  • Little Steven
    I can't imagine eating beaver, in the biblical sense, at all. They are rodents.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I can't imagine eating beaver, in the biblical sense, at all. They are rodents.
    So are rabbits.
    I think most people don't like liver because it was served overcooked. Beef liver has a lot of strinky stuff but calves liver medium-rare is amazing.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I like me some chicken livers ABT style image

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Focker
    edited May 2014
    I will try this with beef liver, wrapped in bacon.  Might have to stuff a hab with them to get over the liver.  Chuck Norris breath mints. >:)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Mattman3969

analyze adapt overcome

• Focker
    You got the hamster wheel spinning bro.  Wonder if a pate to replace the cream cheese/cheese would work?
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Focker said:
    You got the hamster wheel spinning bro.  Wonder if a pate to replace the cream cheese/cheese would work?
    I can attest to that substitution working on crackers and crostini - replacing one fatty, creamy substance with another.  I think so.
    Focker said:
    I will try this with beef liver, wrapped in bacon.  Might have to stuff a hab with them to get over the liver.  Chuck Norris breath mints. >:)
    Suck it up, man. Calves is better than beef. Chicken is better than either. 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Focker
    edited May 2014

Organ meats are a new endeavor.  I can get grass fed beef liver.  In this book I am currently reading, the author recommends grass fed beef liver.  Going to reread that section when I am finished, look into this a little more.

Will definitely start searching for calves' liver.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Carolina Q
    edited May 2014
    Focker said:

Organ meats are a new endeavor.  I can get grass fed beef liver.  In this book I am currently reading, the author recommends grass fed beef liver.  Going to reread that section when I am finished, look into this a little more.

Will definitely start searching for calves' liver.

My problem with liver is, cholesterol! There appear to be conflicting opinions as to the effect of dietary cholesterol, but at 170% of my daily max (for a lousy 100g serving of calves liver), I have it very rarely these days. Had some a few months ago. Guess I could do it again before long.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mattman3969
    I also like chicken livers with Swamp Venom or Jamacian Firewalk I will cook them on a layer of foil at about 400*. I was made to eat beef liver as a kid and could never put enough ketchup on them to make tolerable. I have since figured out a lot of the things mom cooked that I didn't like I like now after I put my own twist to it.

analyze adapt overcome