Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sensitivity to Charcoal Smoke

Options
FatMike
FatMike Posts: 464
edited May 2014 in EggHead Forum
Anyone ever develop a sensitivity to using charcoal (lump)?  Had my egg for years and now every time I grill on it, I'm burping pure charcoal flavor not matter what I cook.  I have been using my stick burner quite a bit without a problem but every time I do a smaller cook in the egg I'm burping charcoal.  Yes the egg is stabilized for 45 min to an hour an I'm shooting blue to very little smoke and I tried several clean burnouts.  Charcoal is the same. Royal Oak from Wally World which I have been using for years. I can't figure it out but tonight i'm about to unload my precious egg and move on to something else.  Long smoke don't seem to matter...weird # frusterated

Comments

• tjosborne
    tjosborne Posts: 529
    Options

Try a different lump? Don't get rid of the egg. What grill can  you get with the same guarantee? Esp. with what you make from sale.

middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
  • FatMike
    FatMike Posts: 464
    Options
    You know after I posted that, I was thinking why the hell don't I try something different.  That sounds like a plan. The only problem is im in Ohio and the only lump I can find is RO or BGE lump which is made by Royal Oak....Gonna do some research this weekend I guess
  • tjosborne
    tjosborne Posts: 529
    Options
    I guess rockwood  sells through firecraft.com. maybe try that. I use RO $8.00 a bag in spring. burn those VOCs off, see if that helps. Sure you already are though.
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    Humphrey charcoal is made in Ohio. You should be able to get some there. They are a PA company but manufacture their lump in ohio due to pa's environmental laws.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    Humphrey is a clean burning lump but it but hot and fast. I went through a 20lb bag very quickly.
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Rockwood and Wicked Good are the most neutral charcoals I have tried.  I still have a few bags of Ozark Oak,  BGE and Wicked Good but once I started using Rockwood, I haven't used anything else.  My wife used to complain about the smokey, charcoal taste of the food coming off my egg.  Once I started using Rockwood, no more complaints. As was said - order a bag or 2 from Firecraft and try it out.  If you like it, get a hold of Jonathan and order a pallet. 
    XL BGE
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    If I had only ever used RO, I would have stopped. Way too smokey for me. FWIW
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    RO is a in the middle of the pack IMHO, bit dirtier than some, bit cleaner than some. 
    Before I gave up on using lump, which is considerably cleaner than most stick burners I've seen, I'd try a few other brands. 
    @FatMike - if your retail choice is limited, check on line (AMazon/Firecraft?) or through local chain store (ACE?) that will bring some in for you.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Options
    Royal Oak has a heavy smoke flavor compared to something more neutral like Ozark Oak. Definitely switch lump before you let go of the egg.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited May 2014
    Options
    @FatMike‌...+1 what @SPRIGS‌ said in regards to WGWW is a neural burning lump. I have tried probably close to 12 different brands. I have been most pleased with WGWW. I would have to special order and/or have OO, Rockwood, Fogo, etc shipped. But, I see no reason as I've been real happy with WGWW (edit: and I'm able to get it locally). It may take you some time finding a lump you are ok with taste wise. And it sounds like you've been egging for a while so I see no reason for this to be a creosote issue. Hope ya find a lump your satisfied with. Good Luck.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    Options
    I was also using RO, although packaged differently, and had a similar issue. I switched to Rockwood and Ozark Oak and have had no issues. I ordered mine through Firecraft and if you spend $100, there is no cost for shipping. They were great to deal with and thought their pricing was good. I know some have complained of the condition of the lump from the shipping process but I had no issues.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    Options
    Just because you didn't change anything, doesn't mean RO didn't...

ROCKWOOD sir.... Look on his site to find a close dealer or consider a pallet ( well worth it IMO)
    Beaufort, SC
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    Rockwood, OO, WGWW have been suggested, and are probably great choices.  I've been very happy with Fogo.  It is very neutral, large pieces, burns hot, low ash, lights easily.  I had been using RO because of the availability issue of other premium lump here in SoCal.  Fogo is available at Amazon with free shipping if you have an Amazon Prime account.  The price fluctuates wildly; today it is $35.08 for 35lbs.  Yesterday it was $40+.  I bought a few bags last week for $28 ea.  It is also out of stock today.  Don't let that bother you, I've purchased twice when it was out of stock, and it always came within a week or so.  Amazon doesn't actually charge you until it is shipped.  Mine has always arrived with great packaging and in excellent condition.  I highly recommend it.
    Santa Paula, CA
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited May 2014
    Options

See if you can find Basques Natures Own at your Costco. Here is a US distribution list.

(http://www.basquescharcoal.com/RetailUSA.php)

Steve 

Caledon, ON