Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Who's ditched there spring?

Options
2»

Comments

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I've removed mine to adjust my gauge with boiling water, and I put the clip back on when I re-installed the gauge.  When I use the BBQ Guru DigiQ to control my temps, I clip the alligator clip of the pit temp probe onto the spring-clip for the dome gauge
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    GeorgeS said:

Mine is gone, Chris at Dizzy Pig showed us in class that by removing it you can spin it easier which means you point the thermometer temp you want to hold at the 12 o'clock position which can be seen better from a distance. For me that means I can see it from the window over the kitchen sink. I don't have to walk out to check temp. If the needle is at 12 o'clock I'm good to go.

Great tip!!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    It's actually an old car racing trick. Racers will turn the tach so redline is at 12 o'clock so it's easy to see, without looking down when they should be shifting. I never would have adapted it to the egg.
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I 86'd mine on both eggs.  It's worthless.