Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Who's ditched there spring?

Threw out my dome thermometer spring and just let the thermometer hang on its own,so much less fuss for clean burns and so its not touching food high in the dome!!

Anybody else gotten rid of that damn spring and clip?

canman1976.
Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Yep, I still have them somewhere, but not on the thermo anymore.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    edited May 2014
    Not yet. But considered it for the first time this past Sunday after having a black greasy run-in with that stupid clip. I do, however, like the asthetic proponent of the dome thermometer being on the egg.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593

Not yet. But considered it for the first time this past Sunday after having a black greasy run-in with that stupid clip. I do, however, like the asthetic proponent of the dome thermometer being on the egg.

It'll stay on the egg on its own gravity keeps it in place and you just pull it out when you want;)

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Yeah... Unfortunately gravity does not prevent my 3yr old son from pulling on it lol.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• CANMAN1976
    Oh the possibilities!

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884

Gone, still have it sitting around and have used the one from the large and small for spacers under a DO.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Hic
    Hic Posts: 350

long gone

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I have been clipless for some time now.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• CANMAN1976
    Should be good!

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Took mine out too.
    NOLA
  • DMW

I have been clipless for some time now.  

I hear clipless is easier to remove when in a hurry.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • CANMAN1976
    Kids pizza smells good!

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Mine is still clipped on there, never had a reason to remove the thermometer (I've never done a clean burn).
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• DMW

Mine is still clipped on there, never had a reason to remove the thermometer (I've never done a clean burn).

To check the calibration of your thermo?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    I'd stick with the boiling water technique to calibrate my thermometer!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• DMW

I'd stick with the boiling water technique to calibrate my thermometer!

Which is why you need to remove the spring clip. :) And once removed, don't put it back on.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Mine's around here somewhere. I think. Hasn't been on my egg since shortly after I bought it. If I ever find it, I will throw it in the trash.  :D

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    mine is gone, trashed it after the last clean burn...wait...the guy who bought the egg from me is dealing with it now.  :))  i did him a favor i guess
    Beaufort, SC
  • HendersonTRKing
    HendersonTRKing Posts: 1,803
    I de-spring/de-clipped a few weeks ago when I took the thermometer out for re-calibration.  Took quite a bit of twisting and tugging (luckily, I've got mad skilz for that) and I thought about leaving the spring/clip off after the re-calibration -- mainly b/c I was concerned about breaking something, cracking the ceramic or throwing the thermometer out of whack by forcing it back in.  But I just didn't like how the thermometer wasn't seated properly and was all loose in the dome without the clip.  So it's back in its tight spot.  Is there any real reason not to leave the clip off?  And can you not leave the thermometer in when you do a clean burn?  So many newb questions from me . . .
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited May 2014
    DMW said:
    To check the calibration of your thermo?
    Good point, done that a couple times.  Replaced the thermo once too.  I'm getting old and forgetful...
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    I put the clip on the probe and then the probe in the dome. Solved a clearance issue on both large and mini. Hard to find a real, not plastic cork these days.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    mine is clipped on the thermometer resting on the outside of the egg. I can easily pull it out without any resitance. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Removed it after last sear went nuclear. Gravity is your friend.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    I have three Eggs and two thermometers, so, yeah I have.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Took it off a long time ago so it wouldn't poke my super puffy loaves of bread.
  • ambrodsky
    ambrodsky Posts: 19
    This is on the list of things to do this weekend.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Threw out my dome thermometer spring and just let the thermometer hang on its own,so much less fuss for clean burns and so its not touching food high in the dome!!

Anybody else gotten rid of that damn spring and clip?

canman1976.
    Thought you were talking about the season.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• CANMAN1976
    So eggcited to see spring  that I'm associating it with everything.......LOL

There isn't even a damn spring in the thermometer assembly!!!

• jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Just went clipless to use a Thermopen to calibrate the Egg thermometer.
    Kemah, TX
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Mine is gone, Chris at Dizzy Pig showed us in class that by removing it you can spin it easier which means you point the thermometer temp you want to hold at the 12 o'clock position which can be seen better from a distance. For me that means I can see it from the window over the kitchen sink. I don't have to walk out to check temp. If the needle is at 12 o'clock I'm good to go.
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!