Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

This says it all!

I'm not one for bashing companies unless they really deserve it. I had a Char-Griller and know how they can be. Pay now or pay later!!!  This made me laugh!!! imageimage

Who uses "grilling Goggles"? I saw these at world market with my wife and could not believe it. People will buy anything. You will lose your man card with these!!!

Lg Egg - Asheville, NC

Comments

• plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    wonder whats wrong with the kEG...i would keep it for other stuff if its in decent shape.. assuming thats the keg type one. 
    Beaufort, SC
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I want to buy one of those

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Don't give OSHA any ideas or I'll see my commercial chefs wearing them next week. ;)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • plumbfir01
    edited May 2014
    @CosmicVoyager maybe if i get that egg by you i can slip that out the dumpster in your hood.. tomorrow...  B-)
    Beaufort, SC
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I can picture @henapple in those.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Goggles can be good when using a MAPP torch.
    The Naked Whiz
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
    edited May 2014
    Who wears goggles grilling? image THIS GUY.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Oh damn. I remember those days. Flame broiled was a good thing. Or was it?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• plumbfir01
    i might get a pair of google goggles to grill using youz guyz awesome recipes
    Beaufort, SC
  • They  got onion goggles too so your eyes don't burn
    @CosmicVoyager maybe if i get that egg by you i can slip that out the dumpster in your hood.. tomorrow...  B-)
    To be honest, the reason that's in the dumpster is because it was falling apart and to get parts for it is difficult because of their customer service is piss poor. It really belongs there we shouldn't be supporting companies that produce such crap. Then again, we Americans love our lazy boys, big screen TV's with remote and convenience's. We have become a disposable lazy society.
    Lg Egg - Asheville, NC
  •  

Who wears goggles grilling? image THIS GUY.
    Awesome!
    Lg Egg - Asheville, NC
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I was lighting lump last week when, in a shower of sparks, one ember landed on my face.  I didn't think much of it (awww, it'll burn out) until a few seconds later when I realized it was still burning.  I grabbed it with my fingers, and it burned as I plucked it off my searing skin (cheek).  Long story short, looked pretty bad the next day, and took a few days before the face vag cleared up.  I'd hate to think about the damage had it been in my eye.   Fortunately I'm always wearing my BCDs.
    edited May 2014
    It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye.

Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • boostfed
    boostfed Posts: 63
    i've heard good things about the akorn! almost pulled the trigger on one before I stumbled onto here :)
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    I've seen those same goggles marketed as onion goggles. They seal out the fumes when cutting onions. I thought it was dumb, but I think about them every time I chop large amounts of onions.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • CosmicVoyager
    CosmicVoyager Posts: 81
    edited May 2014
    I was lighting lump last week when, in a shower of sparks, one ember landed on my face.  I didn't think much of it (awww, it'll burn out) until a few seconds later when I realized it was still burning.  I grabbed it with my fingers, and it burned as I plucked it off my searing skin (cheek).  Long story short, looked pretty bad the next day, and took a few days before the face vag cleared up.  I'd hate to think about the damage had it been in my eye.   Fortunately I'm always wearing my BCDs.
    Damn! I guess I really shouldn't joke about the goggles.... It's just hard to look like a bad ass in them :D . I guess it's better than wearing an eye patch the rest of your life! The crowd I hang with would no doubt give me crap about it.
    Lg Egg - Asheville, NC
  • boostfed said:
    i've heard good things about the akorn! almost pulled the trigger on one before I stumbled onto here :)
    The rivets pull out / rust over time. It's an easy fix. However, if you can't fix it and need parts, getting them  is a challenge through Char-Griller. They have the worst customer service. Don't get me wrong, the akorn is nice but may not last as long as you would expect. You get what you pay for these days..
    Lg Egg - Asheville, NC
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    I've got two friends with Akorns and they love them. I cooked on one and it was excellent. The oldest one is about 2.5 years old and is still in good shape. On the other hand another friend bought one and found it had a dent in it. Took it back to store and they had 2 left and both were dented. So he ponied up for a L BGE and is very happy.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Caymanite
    Caymanite Posts: 57
    I had an Akorn, did three low and slow cooks but there were so many air leaks it would not stay at low temps. Got frustrated, returned to Home Depot and bought an egg.
    Large BGE - Jupiter, FL