Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Someone helpe with the science...

Options
GeorgeS
GeorgeS Posts: 955
edited May 2014 in EggHead Forum
Ok so I understand the whole deal with good and bad smoke and I too have experienced the difference through taste. What I struggle with is understanding how it doesn't happen throughout the cook. We don't light these like I used to light my webber using charcoal bricketts. I used to light my webber with a chimney and all the coals were lit. With the Egg we only light a portion of the lump and wait for good smoke and proper temp then off we go. Why don't we get bad smoke as the other lump starts to burn? I know it doesn't and I shouldn't really care but am very curious about why.
Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    The heat from the coals that are lit are enough to burn off/evaporate the VOCs (volatile organic compounds) in the lump would be the simplest way to explain it. It doesn't have to be lit, just hot enough.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• BigGreenBamaGriller
    Options
    If you ignore it, you don't have to worry about it.
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Options
    I asked the same question a couple of years ago.  Another forum member explained that the VOC in the unlit coals would burn off from the ambient heat inside the egg.  I don't know if I buy it, but I doubt a better answer is going to turn up.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    VOCs will start to evaporate around 122F and finish off around 240-260 depending on which compound it is and your egg is much hotter than that.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    Ok so the VOC's burn off of the whole load of lump as I'm coming to temp even though the lump hasn't actually started to burn?
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    GeorgeS said:
    Ok so the VOC's burn off of the whole load of lump as I'm coming to temp even though the lump hasn't actually started to burn?

Thats why you should wait at least 20 minutes to put anything on the egg to cook. I usually go to 30 minutes before I put any on and haven't had any bad tasting food yet in the few months I have had my egg. With your Webber, my guess you may have been using Kingsford or something like that and that will make your food tadte like lighter fluid. I love flavor the egg gives food over propane. My old gasser took at least 20 minutes to get up to temp so the only bad thing about the egg is you smell like smoke, but good smelling smoke. I don't really think about it when cooking.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • SoCal_Griller
    SoCal_Griller Posts: 516
    Options
    GeorgeS said: Ok so the VOC's burn off of the whole load of lump as I'm coming to temp even though the lump hasn't actually started to burn? Exactly.  Think of it like boiling water on the stove.  When the water in the pot reaches the boiling point, all the water is boiling, not just the part over the heat source.  
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    no
    Options
    Griffin said:
    VOCs will start to evaporate around 122F and finish off around 240-260 depending on which compound it is and your egg is much hotter than that.
    Griffin, can you point to any additional reading on this?  Where's Harold McGee when you need him?
    The Naked Whiz