Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Potential table out of Maple Bowling Alley Floor

Hibby
Hibby Posts: 606
Watching Salvage Dawgs a few weeks ago and saw the guys visited a place very close to me that had salvaged pieces of maple bowling alley floor. Thought it might make a good LBGE table top. Wanted to check quick with you guys to see if you know of any drawbacks of using maple/bowling alley floor (the floor is a bunch of narrow planks glued together)? Additionally, what's a good length for a large table?i. Currently just using a nest. Thanks, Chris
I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    edited May 2014
    My only concern would be the type of glue used if it was waterproof or not since that was made to be inside. Maybe someone will know that. Otherwise maple is a good choice due to the tight grain, but just the same I would finish it with spar marine varnish. Three coats and it will withstand a lot. BTW be sure to finish the ends and underneath as well to completely seal the wood. Otherwise water can wick up under the finish.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    im thinking it would need to be well varnished both sides, maybe even epoxied then a marine spar finish would hold up well. have seen bowling alley cutting block tables at an old remote fishing camp before but they were indoors, great work top
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • dmarois
    dmarois Posts: 52
    i have  a few slabs of this, the only hard part is cutting through it. lots of horizontal nails throughout but if you take your time its ok. I've been debating using a slab of it for this purpose as well, I have one that is already stripped and planed but just needs to be sealed. 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited May 2014
    Lebowski approved!!  That sounds like a great idea.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Hibby
    edited May 2014
    Thanks for the quick responses. Heading to pick up a piece now.
  • vchelf
    vchelf Posts: 95

The plans I am looking at show the large tables for the Large BGE to be between 57 and 60 inches wide and 24 to 27 inches deep.

Victor Chelf
    Houston, TX

Just one Large BGE
    Visit my Victor's Vittles blog - dedicated to my Big Green Eggventures

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Interesting idea.  Definitely need to be diligent with sealing.  Got my wheels turning!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Hic
    Hic Posts: 350
    I was actually look @ this yesterday and thought maybe you'd find it useful  Link

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Hic said:
    I was actually look @ this yesterday and thought maybe you'd find it useful  Link
    Interesting link. I knew they were nailed (LOTS of nails), but didn't realize they weren't glued. I just assumed both. Gonna have to shore it up so it doesn't flex. Should be fun cutting a circle too. :) Good luck!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    I have built a couple of work benches and table tops from salvaged bowling lanes.  Tough to saw (nails ruin plenty of saw blades).  Beautiful when finished.  Cutting a hole would be a challenge IMO.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    As soon as I read the topic I went "ohhhhhh" man that will look really nice! +1 on stripping and using a nice marine grade varnish.
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • Hibby
    Well I got it home. Man is it heavy. I got a piece 6'2" and I bet it weighs over 250 lbs. @Hic‌ thanks for the link. It told me things I hadn't realized. I think this is going to be really challenging. Although mechanically inclined, I'm no carpenter - not even a little bit. I'm intimidated and will be scouring the internet for ideas. I'll post a picture here shortly.
  • Iceman5705
    Iceman5705 Posts: 83
    I also had this idea.  I have a few huge slabs of bowling alley that was salvaged originally for countertop.  I'd love to figure out how to use it for my BGE XL.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    Hibby said:
    Well I got it home. Man is it heavy. I got a piece 6'2" and I bet it weighs over 250 lbs. @Hic‌ thanks for the link. It told me things I hadn't realized. I think this is going to be really challenging. Although mechanically inclined, I'm no carpenter - not even a little bit. I'm intimidated and will be scouring the internet for ideas. I'll post a picture here shortly.
    seeing its not glued you could reinforce it with a couple coats of epoxy and a fiberglss sheet covering the whole table top, then a light sand and several coats marine spar varnish. its how they reinforce strip canoes, you wont see the clothe as it becomes transparent. its a simple as lay the cloth down and spread the epoxy out over it with a yellow plastic putty knife like they use in autobody work. it will be strong and the spar will keep the epoxy from yellowing over time
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Hibby
    I feel pretty lucky that I got a piece with the arrows or darts. Obviously too deep and I'll have to knock a few pieces off each side to make the arrows centered. Time to do some internet digging.
  • DaveRichardson
    Rocklear circle cutting jig for the router is the way to go.  Take it a centimeter or less at each pass and slowly nibble the circle away.  The cutout would make a great serving tray as well!  Throw a could of stainless cabinet pulls thru the top for handles....  SWEET!

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• dmarois
    dmarois Posts: 52
    as for reinforcement I had a friend who works at a steel mill and he grabbed me 3 pieces that were about 3"wide and a 1/4" thick of raw steel.

• Hibby
    @DaveRichardson‌ that Rockler jig does look like it will work great. My real concern is how would the router bit respond should it come into contact with a nail - and I'm sure it will.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Hibby said:
    @DaveRichardson‌ that Rockler jig does look like it will work great. My real concern is how would the router bit respond should it come into contact with a nail - and I'm sure it will.

I agree 101%! Unless he is a tool nut like some of us who look for any excuse to add a new tool or tool accessory then the same type of jig to cut a circle with a router can be made for peanuts using scrap. I also agree that he better wear good eye protection and plan to burn up some expensive carbide tipped router bits and if his router isn't a heavy duty one that task may even burn up a common router!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

RRP said:
    Hibby said:

I agree 101%! Unless he is a tool nut like some of us who look for any excuse to add a new tool or tool accessory then the same type of jig to cut a circle with a router can be made for peanuts using scrap. I also agree that he better wear good eye protection and plan to burn up some expensive carbide tipped router bits and if his router isn't a heavy duty one that task may even burn up a common router!
    I made a jig from some scrap wood, worked perfectly. 

Some tips, however.  Use a plunge router.  A twist base router will never put the bit in the same place as you lower the bit through successive passes.  Use a fluted spiral bit made from tool steel.  Carbide tipped will break hitting the nail.  Slow the router down when you start hitting nails.  Once you're past the nails you can finish from the other side with a trim bit. It's hard to find a router bit long enough to go as deep as you'll need to cut, and cutting with the jig from the other side is very difficult to align.

Adjust the depth of the cut based on the strength of your router.  You do not want to try to remote too much wood at once and burn it up.  Also, you want to get a vacuum and remove the chips on every rotation.

This is the general type of bit to use.  If you didn't have nails, you could use a carbide tip bit.
    http://www.toolstoday.com/p-6237-solid-carbide-spiral-cnc-router-bits-end-mills-for-steel-stainless-steel-non-ferrous-metal-with-altin-aluminum-titanium-nitride-coating.aspx
    Agree with @nolaegghead‌. High speed steel bits will handle a few encounters with a nail. A plunge router is the tool for this job. Also agree that a homemade jig is very easy to make. If you cut the hole carefully, you can use the cutout for a side table or prep table too.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • DaveRichardson
    Yes, I love my tools, but the rocklear jig was a suggestion. Using 1/4 inch plywood or hardboard works just fine. I've used that method as well...

• Tackman
    Tackman Posts: 230
    Where did you get that? Out of the gutter? Get it--bowling joke!!
    Cleveland, Ohio
  • nolaegghead
    Yes, I love my tools, but the rocklear jig was a suggestion. Using 1/4 inch plywood or hardboard works just fine. I've used that method as well...
    That jig is a good suggestion.  I almost bought one and probably will if I don't build my CNC router.
    Is it possible to remove the oil from the wood?  Long time bowler here and I know they drench these boards with oil every night.  Does the wood soak up any of that?  Is it flammable?  Safe to set food on?
    Cool idea, and I think it will look nice when finished.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• nolaegghead

YEMTrey said:
    Is it possible to remove the oil from the wood?  Long time bowler here and I know they drench these boards with oil every night.  Does the wood soak up any of that?  Is it flammable?  Safe to set food on?
    Cool idea, and I think it will look nice when finished.
    I would sand it, of course, but any oil residue isn't going to hurt.  Spar varnish actually has quite a bit of non-polymerizing oil in it to keep the finish flexible.   Most wood has oil in it naturally.
    I don't think there is any stain. I could be wrong but the whole surface is covered with a very thick plastic sheet.i can pull on it as there's a corner where it's pulling apart but it's well adhered to the wood surface. From what I understand, I'll need to use a heat gun to peel the whole surface off.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168

That jig is a good suggestion.  I almost bought one and probably will if I don't build my CNC router.

Building a CNC router? Damn impressive Nola!
    Flint, Michigan
  • nolaegghead
    Building a CNC router? Damn impressive Nola!
    I built a small one to learn about how they work (kit - Zen CNC), want a big one for man projects :D
    edited May 2014
    Hibby said:

I feel pretty lucky that I got a piece with the arrows or darts. Obviously too deep and I'll have to knock a few pieces off each side to make the arrows centered. Time to do some internet digging.

What are the dimensions of the piece pictured here? (if you already stated that I didn't see it in the thread). It would be a shame to lose to much of the detail to fit into a dimension window per se. Could it be milled/routered to 60"-72"L X 30"W without losing details after the hole is cut? Very unique---like it
    Edit: I see overall length is 6'2".
    :-bd
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL