Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for storage/cabinet for accessories

Options
I've had my BGE for about 5 months now. I used my old gas Weber to store the plate setter, electric heating element, and charcoal; but I sold it yesterday.

I did a quick search online and was shocked to see how expensive the BGE Cabinet is (over $1000!!!!).

Any suggestions on where I can find something good for storage that doesn't cost as much as the BGE???

I have nest for the BGE, so it's pretty bare right now on the covered porch.

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I have a Lifetime deck box I got from Lowe's for about $100 that works great. When closed it doubles as additional seating space.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • bdollens
    bdollens Posts: 31
    Options
    I have been looking at one of the long mechanic type toolboxes that HD sells. Use the drawers for storing the small things, and the door for the Plate Setter/AR/Lump. They also have one with a wood top that I think could be used as a cutting board.

Large, soon to have another size TBD

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Not sure how the toolbox would hold up in the weather...

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• TheShaytoon
    TheShaytoon Posts: 420
    Options
    I've been looking at this one from Home Depot, and saw that some from another BBQ forum users recommend it with great success... They have free shipping right now, so it's not a bad deal... I just ordered mine...

HERE IS THE LINK'Y

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
    Dallas, TX

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    ive found some great deals at pool supply stores in the off season, my teak table that has a mini grill on it was 75 bucks, is 42 inches wide with teak wheels
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ColAngus
    ColAngus Posts: 123
    Options
    I've been looking at this one from Home Depot, and saw that some from another BBQ forum users recommend it with great success... They have free shipping right now, so it's not a bad deal... I just ordered mine...

HERE IS THE LINK'Y

Oooh.  I likey.  Now gotta see if the wife would approve.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options

If you have a used restaurant equipment supply nearby you can often find stainless cabinets. I paid $500 a while back for this without the granite.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    I think you need to be more realistic...I have a 10' x 12' Dutch Barn which is quickly filling up... Believe me my Wife has plenty to say about the situation.. :-@
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • brimee
    brimee Posts: 127
    Options
    ColAngus said:
    I've had my BGE for about 5 months now. I used my old gas Weber to store the plate setter, electric heating element, and charcoal; but I sold it yesterday.

I did a quick search online and was shocked to see how expensive the BGE Cabinet is (over $1000!!!!).

That's exactly why I will probably never get rid of my gasser, I couldn't get much for it and it doubles as a hot dog cooker if I ever need one…  
    ;)
    Brian
    Fairview, Texas
  • ColAngus
    Options
    Well the wife veto'd the stainless steel work cabinet.

It's gotta match the dark wicker furniture.  

Maybe I'll show her what can happen when you store lump charcoal and a hot electric starter in a wicker storage bench.  
    B-)
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Stainless matches everything. Ugh!
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    Maybe you should rattle can her wicker furniture with some chrome paint! I'm just saying. :-\"
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • Auburntgr
    Auburntgr Posts: 78
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Franklin, TN Medium and large Green Egg
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    ColAngus said:
    Well the wife veto'd the stainless steel work cabinet.

It's gotta match the dark wicker furniture.  

Maybe I'll show her what can happen when you store lump charcoal and a hot electric starter in a wicker storage bench.  
    B-)

Would the black one work? That's the one that caught my eye, because we have black furniture. My question will the top hold up to the elements?
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • CheeseheadinAZ
    Options
    This is made by Suncast. I bought it from costco. Happy with it so far. $99
  • TheShaytoon
    Options
    I think once the top gives to weather, I am going to slap a granite top on it...

Dallas, TX

• ElCapitan
    ElCapitan Posts: 154
    Options
    If you notice my profile photo, I am using the mechanic tool box from Home Depot.  I've had it outside for 5 months and so far everything has stayed dry inside the drawers.  The top is starting to warp a little mainly because it is thin and not fastened down, it just slides into place.  It was cheap ($89) so I didn't mind experimenting with it.  However, I like the idea of the double one linked above IF the side cabinet is wide enough to hold the place setter, woo 2, grid, pizza stone and CI grid that won't fit in the mechanic tool box.  I couldn't see the dimensions on the side cabinet on the Home Depot side.

Right now my weber functions as a shelf to hold things when I pull them off the BGE.  I think we fired it up once in 6 months.

I like the drawers in the mechanics tool box and if I do build a table, I'll probably build a space for a mechanics tool box to fit in with the wheels removed and put some frame trim around it to dress it up. I keep my thermometers, gloves, starter, timers, drip pans, wood chunks, scissors, rib racks, etc in the drawers.

XL Owner
  • TheShaytoon
    Options
    @ElCapitan  The whole thing is 46 inches wide and 18 inches deep.  So I think  the right side should be around 34 inches wide and 18 inches deep.  I thin you would have a hard time fitting everything you mentioned as you have an XL...

I (and when I say "I" it really means the wifey) really wanted the work surface and to get all my "BBQ crap" out of her mud room. 

The deep drawers I plan to use for the wood.  It should be here next week, I'll post some pics with everything in it.

Dallas, TX

• ElCapitan
    ElCapitan Posts: 154
    Options
    @TheShaytoon let us know how it works out.  
    XL Owner
  • bdollens
    bdollens Posts: 31
    Options

HERE IS THE LINK'Y

That is the same one I have been looking at!

Large, soon to have another size TBD

• ColAngus
    Options
    I've decided to look for some type of cart/cabinet that I can place the BGE on. 

But good lord, the prices are crazy.

I'm going to get in the BGE accessory business!

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    I came acroos this one at Costco the other day.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • TheShaytoon
    Options
    I just got the email from Home Depot that the one I ordered has arrived.  I'll try to pick it up tonight, but it is raining Cats and Dogs here, and I am not complaining.  

@hotch that is a good buy...

D

Dallas, TX

• Hotch
    Options
    @TheShaytoon Yep, thinking about pulling the trigger for my Mini to set on and stow all my gear.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    Hotch said:
    I came acroos this one at Costco the other day.

If didn't build my island this woukd be great as a prep and storage table, $400 is a little high. Would that wood top last long outside sinces its probably made of pine?

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Hotch
    Options
    It will be under my Patio, away from the weather. But you could use a marine varnish or put a solid surface material on it. I need the drawers for storage.
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    Same here. Its wild how many assesories you can accumulate. I only have a few now and can see I need something soon to hold them all, plus a good prep surface would be nice.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Hotch
    Options

I need that to store all my outdoor cushions.

Thanks,

BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited May 2014
    Options

If you have a used restaurant equipment supply nearby you can often find stainless cabinets. I paid $500 a while back for this without the granite.

Bea u ti ful Steve! Can't post mine yet ;-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL